Author Topic: Mini Roadtrip - Exidy Crossbow  (Read 7817 times)

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
Mini Roadtrip - Exidy Crossbow
« on: October 30, 2020, 04:36:27 PM »
Hi guys,

I just came back from my mini roadtrip, lets write that down in "darth nuno" style :D

Ok normally, this trip would go to Germany to pick up the cab. But actually, you need a maximum 48h old covid test, that you dont have the virus or you go into 14 days of quarantine. Both were not really an option for me, so I contacted the seller, if I can send him some transport company to get the game. Since german can pass the border without troubles, he offered me to bring it right across the border ( which is a total of 90km journey for him ).  So the roadtrip only takes me 1,5h single way, here we go:

Best weather to do something with games... hey wait a second, did I take the wrong lane to the crossbow?  ;)

We met an a parking space of a discounter ( dont tell them we didnt buy anything there  :oops: ) and since I got a bigger car, this 200 cm long Exidy cab fits nice into my jump buggy.

We went to an gas station to get some coffee and had a nice chat about games, how long is he collecting and some sad memories --> he told me that he was a mini bus driver in the past ( around 2000 ). On his way, he crossed a huge operator, who put arcade games to the dumbster. He said that there was crystal castles, Terminator 2 and Indiana Jones arcade cab, but he couldnt get them into his mini bus. So he picked smaller, lighter games for free.  :-\  I just mentioned, these games are valuable now.

Ok, after 5 hours, im back at home again and man oh man, this Crossbow is SUPER HEAVY. No way to move that game alone to a first floor or so.

Overall, the cab is in really nice condition and the price was very good too. To be honest, that game was not really on my wanted list. But hey, as a collector, you take games when they get offered.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Mini Roadtrip - Exidy Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 06:55:34 PM »
Nice catch !

Looks like the forum is comming again a bit more active  :spaceace:

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 08:09:14 PM »
ik dank u zeer  :D

Digimon

• Germany - Hamburg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 07:19:31 AM »
Great catch.

An absolute classic.
Searching Zaccaria Stuff: Zaxxon CPO, JumpBug CPO or CPO Repro
next project: assemble Zaccaria Vanguard.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 02:18:32 PM »
congrats, great catch and thanks for sharing your mini roadtrip. happy that you got it, this would have been one of those projects for me which might have taken time away from my ultimate goal: finishing my gameroon. once this is done i can really concentrate on all those games i have to fix!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 08:06:07 AM »
Wow, that is beautiful! Congratulations!  :)

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 08:56:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing your mini roadtrip. The old glory days of roadtrips across europe to score a favourite cabinet have gone... and I am missing them  :'(
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Franzy21

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 11:12:44 PM »
Awesome game.
So glad to see one in Europe :)
Dreaming of a Namco Galaxian waiting in a barn for me... somewhere! A Nintendo Sheriff would also make me happy. And a SNK Sasuke Vs Commanders or a SEGA Samurai... Argh too many; in fact!

Bods

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 04:01:56 PM »
It's so good to finally see one of these European made Machines.

I prefer it to the USA Exidy one and UK only had Electrocoin Goliath version

I rescued one from UK which fell apart as it was so damp, I have all the parts to restore it, just need time, before yours posted I was unable to find any photo's of this actual style cabinet, see my old post

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=3885.0

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 08:31:55 AM »
Hey Bods,

ah you have one too. I dont spoiler, but there will be news about Exidy Games like crossbow in the future :-D

Sadly, I cant see the pictures anymore in your thread but from the other comments, it  must have been a lot of work.
Did you finish it? If you need help ( pictures, meisurement... ), feel free to ask ( it will just  take some time since I stored crossbow on another location ).

Cheers
Andi

PS: My crossbow was available for 1 or 2 weeks ( i dont remember exactly anymore ), no one wanted it...

Bods

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 09:43:24 AM »
Hi Andi

No many collectors seem to look for this machine, maybe like me many don't remember the game but i think it's very cool looking with that crossbow mounted on front

Interesting about Exidy Games, look forward to hearing about those

Not sure where the pictures gone, they were still there 2 days ago

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/crossbow-parts_topic338335.html

some pics here where it was originally, amazes me how it seemed level on floor one year, year later 1ft or more of rubble under machine, all plaster gone from wall, someone smashed the original monitor glass as i have small parts with arkwork left and Marquee was missing, i managed to get those and more pcb's, gun to rebuild but still haven't had time

I did make new sides, base and back panel, then came to get some sort  finish for chipboard but unable to find anything like that original satin finish so it been on hold, The artwork is printed direct onto the black finish too where the USA is sticker

I also had 3 different Guns, one in picture was Black cast metal stock, the brown one is what was on this machine but cracked, it's plastic of some sort, then you have the wooden one. I believe the wood stock of crossbow is from a real crossbow gun as the shoulder end cap has name and you see similar ones on ebay for sale

Still have all the machine in many parts, the chipboard was so damp by time i got it off that rubble pile and to van it just fell apart, original pcb was still inside though, also i have the exidy 440 multi rom set that was made a few years ago so can play all the games like Chiller

Just as you say, this game was not on my list to collect, it was in arcade before i played games and not heard of it till i was downloading games, flyers, cab images for mame but my first memory of playing arcade video game was Operation Wolf, probably attracted to it by the Machine Gun, so I know if I was older and seen Crossbow it would of played it, when it was sat there rotting away i had to save it as they are rare over here

At same time another collector had been trying to find the UK Electrocoin Crossbow Machine, finally one was found converted to Operation Wolf, he had pcb's, marquee's and the gun from this machine but no time to restore, so I restored that machine for him, another Vac Member had all my missing parts so it was good team effort to save them

Some more photo's of your machine inside would be useful for me and coin box door, I can make missing coin box door from photo of yours now i have bending machine and welder

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 09:48:16 AM by Bods »