Author Topic: [Superully's Restoration] Bubble Bobble Project - here we go ...  (Read 125164 times)

Dazza

• View Profile
Re: Bubble Bobble Project - here we go ...
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 01:13:30 PM »
For getting it nice and clean.

1. Use a soldering iron and heat up the attached wires, remove them when the solder starts to flow.
2. Flow some fresh solder over the old stuff and suck it up with a solder pump, desoldering station or wick.
3. There will more than likely be quite a bit of flux residue left so use some flux remover on a lint free cloth. Something like this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/pcb-cleaner-27521?tabid=1&criteria=usb&c=so&u=strat15
4. That will probably still leave some sticky residue so finally clean it with some isopropyl alcohol, again with a lint free cloth. Something like this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/isopropyl-alcohol-28994?ordercode=RE79L

After that it should be as clean as a whistle!

I must admit until I got a proper desoldering station, removing and cleaning solder was a pain. I hate those bloody pumps, they are ok to start with but get worse and worse over time, getting clogged up.

I got this one, it is "relatively" cheap compared with other models. I got it from Farnell but there link doesn't appear to be working atm:
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=D00672+DESOLDERING+STATION&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4135953085675190587&ei=NOAyTYWAMdO6jAeT_K28Cw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=11&ved=0CG0Q8wIwCg#

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2011, 07:09:31 PM »
thx for the additional information, dazza, it sure helped a lot :-*! i've ordered a couple of sprays in the meantime and once they arrive (along with a desoldering station) i can finish what i started today!

the card edge wires came off easily, but as you can see there is still a lot of flux and solder on it (the soldering job wasn't the best to begin with). i only heated up the older solder to get the wires off and did no additional cleaning because i didn't want to damage anything, i'm waiting for the rest of the stuff to arrive.

much worse was the connector on the left, because the wires had been wrapped around the pins multiple times and huge solder chunks had been added. it took me quite a while to get everything off, but i think it cleaned up ok, but i'll have to re-work it as well!

here's what i removed from the connectors :arrow:

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2011, 07:17:20 PM »

now to something completely different: finally sideart stencils are available from gamestencils.com for this type of taito cab and i've already ordered one full set (yes, another taito stencil job :P). however, i'm not quite sure yet which color combo to use. i want to stick to the original beige tone, but change the other color from red to either blue or green, because the two dinosaurs (bub & bob) are blue and green and the joysticks / buttons i'm going to use are blue and green as well. i have a strong tendency already (which i'll not reveal yet), but since michael's edited pictures are no longer available and we have a lot of new members since this was posted the last time, i did a little photoshopping (well, it was corel, but "coreling" sounds just strange ;)) and came up with two different version.

here's the green one :arrow:

and here's the blue one :arrow:

so how would you guys paint it? let me know what your choice would be and i'll pick the exact opposite ;) thx for your input!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »
They could both work, but i would go with the blue one, because it would match better with the marque.

Again, i love those classic taito cab's, don't really know why, but they are something special.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:29:46 PM by gyruss »

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »
They could both work, but i would go with the blue one, because it would match better with the marque.

Again, i love those classic taito cab's, don't really know why, but they are something special.

the big taito title ?
i like them too, despite they are generic.

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2011, 07:53:02 PM »
Yes, i like that too! And maybe the shape of the cab, color use and history behind the brand.  :D
Hopefully, i get lucky and will own one of these soon. I would love to convert it to a qix, bubble bobble or elevator action.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2011, 09:03:10 PM »
I think the blue, already your jungle king is green  ;)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »
Blue!!! :!:

WEARESAVIORS

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2011, 10:36:55 PM »
Blue is the best color  ;D

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
so how would you guys paint it? let me know what your choice would be and i'll pick the exact opposite ;) thx for your input!!!

ok .... green  ;D ;D ;)
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2011, 06:44:29 PM »
I vote for Red !

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2011, 06:55:29 PM »
I vote for Red !

;D andré, that's not how it works, you're not allowed to make any suggestions :P

but because you've brought this up: i'm going to use either RED / BEIGE or ORANGE / BEIGE for the rainbow islands cab which i'm planning on putting next to the bubble bobble. you may cast your vote then, andré ;)

as for bubble bobble: since you guys voted unanimously for blue (and because this matches my pick 100%), i'll definitely go with blue. thx for your input!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »
Any news on this ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2011, 01:48:42 PM »
i'm waiting for the stencils from brian, those taito v1.0 cabs need different stencils (crazy climber style) and brian had to buy a special vinyl to be able to cut them. brian is having some personal stuff to go through at the moment, so this might still take a while. i'm afraid my plan to have this up and running by the end of the year is not going to work ...

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2011, 01:33:15 AM »
Ahhhhh... Bubble Bobble my favorite game. I got like almost 3000000 points playing the dos cdrom version in dosbox. Keep up the work Superully!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:08:03 PM by oldcomputerfan »
Dunno what to put here.