Author Topic: The final word on the Galaxian 3 from the Minolta Tower in Niagara Falls Ontario  (Read 5560 times)

SaraAB87

• View Profile
    • My arcade photos on Facebook
Well here it is, the final story on the Galaxian 3 from Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada.

http://arcadeheroes.com/2017/08/08/tracking-namco-galaxian-3-6-player-theater-niagara-falls-ontario-canada-beyond/

Sara

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Nice work, Sara!  :)

Regarding the GT6 located in the Japan museum :

"Since the Galaxian 3 Theater operates on laserdiscs and laser disc players, it can be very difficult to keep these things running today. This theater in Japan has been converted to use regular computers of some sort, thus allowing the Galaxian 3 Theater to stay in working order and allowing it to continue to entertain guests"

Galaxian3 is  -sadly- not emulated on PC so far. They are still using original hardware and also a custom kit they built to play Rising of Gourb over a PSX (which I did too, see here).

A note regarding the Ridge Racer Full Scale. The more I see it, the more I believe there was no RR -> G3 or G3 ->RR conversion kit. I know perfectly all the parts of a Galaxian Theater, and I don't recognize them at all on the RR, except maybe the screen base elements? The only common point is... they are huge (and the RR seems bigger then G3). But I also admit the 'Ridge Racer full scale' banner is disturbing  :?

Regarding the Air Raid 'shame' conversion done at D&B, I really hope the original GT6 parts (and especially the boards) are still somewhere... and not trashed! It would be a quest to find them back... but I guess it must be a nightmare to find the right person to talk to at D&B about this... :oops:

Oh, and I you want to play The Rising Of Gourb (but also Project Dragoon), an easier (and very cheap) way is simply to buy a PSX (ps one) and the original game.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Regarding the Japan Arcade Museum...

Galaxian3 is  -sadly- not emulated on PC so far. They are still using original hardware...

...I've just seen something awesome on their website.

THIS ->

背景再生をLDプレイヤーからPCコンバージョンシステムになりました。テスト稼動では体感的にも差異なく動作し、違和感なくプレイできました。

...which is translated like this by google translator->

"Background playback changed from LD player to PC conversion system. In the test operation, it worked without any difference in feeling, and I could play without discomfort."

So I believe they are now able to use a computer to emulate the laser disc players (which are used to display the video background of the game) ?! :o

I've just drop them a message for all the info!!!!  :shock:

SaraAB87

• View Profile
    • My arcade photos on Facebook
Regarding the Japan Arcade Museum...

Galaxian3 is  -sadly- not emulated on PC so far. They are still using original hardware...

...I've just seen something awesome on their website.

THIS ->

背景再生をLDプレイヤーからPCコンバージョンシステムになりました。テスト稼動では体感的にも差異なく動作し、違和感なくプレイできました。

...which is translated like this by google translator->

"Background playback changed from LD player to PC conversion system. In the test operation, it worked without any difference in feeling, and I could play without discomfort."

So I believe they are now able to use a computer to emulate the laser disc players (which are used to display the video background of the game) ?! :o

I've just drop them a message for all the info!!!!  :shock:

Nice! In the USA you would have to import a Japanese PSX or modify one to play Japanese games and the game disc from Japan, its probably quite a bit cheaper to go with the PS3 and the download and a lot easier, in my case I already owned a PS3 so I just went for the download, because it was easy. PS3's are quite cheap here now. It would not be easy to find a modified PSX in the USA or import a PSX console from Japan.

I saw in several places about the G3 to Ridge racer conversion, there was at least one example of it on the Japanese list I posted, may not exactly be on the link posted in the article, I definitely agree with you on that, perhaps it was more like an upgrade kit, as in they pulled out the ridge racer or G3 and put in the new game in the same space, perhaps they just used pieces of the screen, the parts in the G3 are probably so expensive that they may have just used a few parts, maybe this would be a good question for me to ask Namco on facebook! The G3 is a LD game and Ridge racer is not, unless they had a Laserdisc version that was for ridge racer full scale......  I do find the Japanese list fascinating, that they were tracking the G'3's for all this time!

I was thinking about the same thing on the one from the museum in Japan, that they somehow found a way to use computers to emulate at least part of it, if a person in Estonia can fix a R360 to run Microsoft flight simulator X then anything is possible!