Author Topic: New information on a Galaxian 3 Theater that was located in Ontario, Canada!  (Read 6259 times)

SaraAB87

• View Profile
    • My arcade photos on Facebook
I have been doing some research and I found out that there was indeed a Galaxian 3 of some sort located in the "Konica Minolta Tower" in Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada. This building is now called "The Tower Hotel" and is still located at the same place but the building has been renovated several times since the Galaxian 3 was located there. The machine was located there in the mid to late 1990's. I don't know for sure if the building is open to the public today unless you are staying in the hotel there. The former observation deck in this building is now closed to the public.

I have an eyewitness account of it being there from someone who works at the tower.

I am also hearing it was a custom machine made by Namco. I wonder what was different than a normal Galaxian 3?

I also heard there were some other attractions that required attendants in this place.

Unfortunately the Galaxian 3 was removed before 9-11 as the tower was renovated then, so it is no longer there.

This still makes one more machine that was previously located in Canada other than the one that was located in Kamloops, British Columbia, unless this same machine was transported to Kamloops, though that is a very long distance to transport a machine of this size.

I will use this thread to post updates on this machine as I find out more information.

SaraAB87

• View Profile
Updates:

The Galaxian 3 was likely in a place called the "Minolta Tower Center" and was not actually inside the tower itself (unless I find out different) this building would have been directly across from the tower and would no longer be there today because a hotel was built in its place.

The G3 was in the building with a Cybermind cafe that ran virtual reality pods, the ones by virtuality, the 1000 series that were light gray in color. There was one sit down pod and one stand up pod. The sit down played flying aces and the stand up played Dactyl Nightmare.

There was another attraction in there that I can't decipher the name of, I have a picture of the menu board of the place.

Toykyle

• We saved GT-6. Now it's time to save GH-16 & GH-28
    • View Profile
http://www.galaxian3.com/~karin/g3list/g3list_en.html (Yes, there are still some machines in operation)
http://www.galaxian3.com/~karin/g3list/g3slist_en.html

The Galaxian Theater located at Minolta Tower Centre was said to have vanished before 2003/07/25. Not confirmed what kind of Galaxian3 machine it was, may it be the 6-player arcade, or the 16/28-player attraction.

The page details where the arcade/attraction was eliminated. Out of all four 16-player attractions, however, at least two (unless the Chinese CYBER STATION and TOM'S CITY are the same model) 16-player version made it outside of Japan, in the Republic of China at CYBER STATION, and at TOM'S CITY, the latter being evidenced by these two photos below (Source from Kei8774, also seen in the 28-player thread).

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:27:01 PM by Toykyle »

SaraAB87

• View Profile
http://www.galaxian3.com/~karin/g3list/g3list_en.html (Yes, there are still some machines in operation)
http://www.galaxian3.com/~karin/g3list/g3slist_en.html

The Galaxian Theater located at Minolta Tower Centre was said to have vanished before 2003/07/25. Not confirmed what kind of Galaxian3 machine it was, may it be the 6-player arcade, or the 16/28-player attraction.

The page details where the arcade/attraction was eliminated. Out of all four 16-player attractions, however, at least two (unless the Chinese CYBER STATION and TOM'S CITY are the same model) 16-player version made it outside of Japan, in the Republic of China at CYBER STATION, and at TOM'S CITY, the latter being evidenced by these two photos below (Source from Kei8774, also seen in the 28-player thread).

Wow thank you for the information, that is interesting.

I do have an update.

The Galaxian 3 was physically located in the Minolta tower and not the building across the street.

As far as I know its a 6 player theater.

It was in the building with some virtual reality attractions that may have played doom and another game. There may have been other attractions in the building as well. The cybermind cafe was across the street and had one sit down virtuality pod and one stand up virtuality pod as I said before, this were not located in the tower themselves.

It was removed in 2001 when the building was renovated and a hotel was built on site. It was installed in 1995.

It was sold somewhere out of the Niagara falls area, as in its not sitting somewhere in Niagara falls Ontario in a warehouse at the present time, but it may have been in a warehouse in the past. I just talked to a major Niagara falls developer about this, I am very surprised they responded to me.  Correction: I actually have no idea who or where it was sold to, so it could possibly be in the Niagara area, but I really have no idea at the moment, but it was definitely sold.

It is not at Dave & busters at Vaughan, Ontario as I just called them and talked to the manager. However the D&B at Vaughan ontario does still have a 6 player Galaxian 3 theater converted to Air Raid on the location as I write this right now but its not the same machine from Niagara.

Sara
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:45:34 PM by SaraAB87 »

SaraAB87

• View Profile
I was able to reach the former owner of the Galaxian 3 from Niagara and they confirmed it was scrapped.  The machine was having problems, they were renovating the place it was in and removing the arcade so they couldn't just leave it there. I am very sorry about this but there is nothing I can do. The machine was removed and likely scrapped in 2001, that was a long time ago.