Author Topic: The future of this forum  (Read 21648 times)

rogerxy

• View Profile
Re: The future of this forum
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »
Shoutbox should be fine O think. & the name is not the best if you want to attract new members, imo.

I will try to do some updates on my projects

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2017, 10:48:30 AM »

I guess that there are a couple of reasons for decreased activity:

1.  ..... a good number of once-active members appear to be more engaged in real life activities than in our nostalgia hobby. Most of us are in their forties, we're probably all searching for the meaning of life...

CONFIRMED! Although, I'm already in my fifties, just.

This is the best topic since a long time. Yes, I also have been very silent and inactive for quite some time now, and as some other guys, mainly because of personal reasons. My life has been a rollercoaster since a few years and I'm not that fond of rollercoasters. It meant that the hobby went to the background. I even sold quite some games the last few months (on one occasion 6 in one day although the buyer came for only one! By far the most crazy day in my life, he probably had a midlife crisis, LOL  But it did hurt, a lot) and I will sell even more this year. My gameboard collection is also no more ...

As I see the hobby now I will keep a small collection of real gems, play them now and them, so I will have time and energy to focus on much more important real-life stuff that is in development.

Of course, DLF (what's in a name), will always be a place where I will keep an eye on, not daily, but surely weekly, and I will keep posting now and then when I think it is interesting. It's still a great place to be, with good vibes! And maybe, someday the Arcade-Lifestyle spark will light up the fire again.  :)

Oh, and I will keep loving to visit Arcade Game parties!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:11:23 AM by ckong »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »
well spoke, andré and erik, loved your flashbacks and thoughts

As I see the hobby now I will keep a small collection of real gems, play them now and them, so I will have time and energy to focus on much more important real-life stuff that is in development.

almost the same here! i've sold so many games in the last few years, coming down from roughly 80 to around 20 - which still is a lot but something that's hopefully managable. honestly, apart from the fact that those machines look cool, what do you wanna do with 100 games? noone can "keep them alive" indefinitely, noone can restore all of them and - in my humble opinion - a lot of these old games REALLY SUCK! gaming has evolved, the classic games have not and when you wash the nostalgia away there's not a lot left. i enjoy trying and playing stuff at arcade parties that i once had, e.g. battlezone, but when the words GAME OVER appear on the screen, i know that i made a good decision when i sold the game, got some money out of it and have more living space :). don't get me wrong, i still totally LOVE the hobby, can't wait to get my gameroom construction rolling at the end of january, but it's better to have a select few in working condition which are REALLY GOOD than a busload of half-finished games that suck and don't work!

well, of course games like computer space DO SUCK BADLY, but at least they look good. sometimes that's just enough ... :P

acquiring my house in 2015 has brought me a new perspective in life, a perspective where classic arcade games are still playing a huuuge part, but also opening doors to other stuff i had never thought before!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »
will you ever sell rally Ully ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2017, 07:47:13 PM »
will you ever sell rally Ully ?

I'm not planning on doIng so. Like computer space it is a piece of art and i have a wonderful spot for it in my house. More on that later ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
Thank you for this topic.
I could see this thing is happening in most of the arcade forums I know.
I think we are simply getting older; our kids, jobs, real life live us less time to dedicate to our hobby. About me I'm trying to be active as much as possible but I don't want to bore anyone with tons of technical issues of yet another restoration. Ah, I repaired a couple of tempest boards so my favourite cab will work soon :-)
About names or section or whatelse, you decide, I will follow you anyway

muddymusic

• Arcade Art Shop
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Shop
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 10:48:08 AM »
What's interesting is that since this topic was started there seem to be 10x as many new posts now!  :D
repro artwork supplier, visit www.arcadeartshop.com

Pinge

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 12:03:41 PM »
Thanks to this topic I started a few more or less interesting threads, I like the vibe here and would be sad if it died off.
And if I dont contribute I cant expect other to.

- Always looking for Playchoice & Mega-Tech -

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »
Thanks to this topic I started a few more or less interesting threads, I like the vibe here and would be sad if it died off.

MOST interesting i would say - thx man!!!

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2017, 12:13:35 PM »
I see a lot of traffic moving from forums to FB. But it comes with both serious issues and benefits.

Pro's on FB:
- You can see who's the fans. People don't hide behind some fancy Streetfighter character name all the time. It's easier to meet IRL.
- Very easy to upload photo's and video's

Cons
- The linear character. There is no structure, no tree-like ordering of stuff
- Many groups are flooded with boring poll questions: what is your favourite.... choose x or y. What do you play tonight.
- You either end up visiting all groups as separate thing (I went to that option) or all your group activity gets mixed with the family and other topics. You basically need to unfollow the groups and visit them every few days. Similar to picking your DLF bookmark in the browser.

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2017, 11:52:12 PM »
I'm a forum guy - since we had another child last year things have been a bit hectic. Hopefully it will all be back to normal in the next 6-12 months  :spaceace: