Author Topic: Somebody please save this Night Driver !  (Read 24359 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Somebody please save this Night Driver !
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:17:03 AM »
OK, I got no more room and I got plenty of projects to work on for the doming decade.

Quite close to my home there's a jukebox/pinball/arcade game trader that normally is having, let's say, not the finest selection of machines. Anyway, I had to work very close to their store yesterday and decided I'd walk up there and visit (third time now) just to spoil my lunchtime :)

Well, most of it is complete trash, but there's one gem in there that would deserve to be saved: An upright Atari Night Driver.

The cab actually looks pretty decent, sides are ok, really better than what he has on average. I bet the game is dead etc, but anyway there might be a kind collector around here find it worthwile.

Here's the site of the store:
http://www.jukeboxshop.nl/coin_op_games/

They will probably ask a ridiculous price as they do with the rest of their machines, but it's in the store (it's a REALLY old warehouse in an old harbour area) for quite some time now so negotiate a good price.

The Chrono Trigger

• View Profile
Re: Somebody please save this Night Driver !
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 01:18:18 AM »
I would love to take it and bring it back to life, but I don't have the time, the money, or the space to work on it.
I am the assassin of time. I am the Chrono Trigger!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 05:13:43 PM »
Thanks for the info André  ;)

No more room for this one  :-X

It could be a very interesting one for a *die hard* Atari collector, such... Atarmania of course :)

I'll drop him a notification for this  8)

This baby must be saved!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 05:24:06 PM »
already wrote them an email asking for the price - no answer yet :(
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:16:43 AM »
my email just came back - delivery has failed  :( reason: over quota. what's that? mailbox full?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:26:47 AM »
Tell you what, I'll give them a ring today.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:29:12 AM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 11:56:38 AM »
somehow my email got through, although i received the notification that it didn't. strange ...

well, they want €350 for the machine, which imho is too much. what do YOU think?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 12:14:45 PM »
350€ ? I would say too expensive... but ... it'll be always the same story ... Does this game is in the 'MUST HAVE' list, or just in the 'NICE TO HAVE' list?  :?

:arrow: Following the answer, the amount of money we can spend for a video game can change a lot  :-X

The game is working by the way?

Sure, 'Night Driver' is a 'big name' in the video game history... and could be a nice addition in any collection...  :roll:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 12:59:36 PM »
well, considering i already have a gran trak 10 (which came 2 years earlier) and a pole position, it would fit nicely in between those atari racing games. however, €350 is too much for my blood considerung i'd have to pick it up in holland (although another roadtrip would be great). i'll ask the seller whether it's working or not PLUS he can send more pictures. so let's do this first.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 01:29:09 AM »
I already mentioned they'd ask a ridiculous price as they do on all of their machines.

I'm sure it's at least negotiable. These are the kind of guys you have to be a business-man too. Bargain hard. No-one wants that machine..... ;)
I'd say 200 is already too much but it is pretty rare overhere. Mostly I've seen the copies of this game from other manufacturers like 280zzzap.

I dare to bet that the machine is not working but it probably has the PCB and original monitor inside. If this gets serious I can go up there and check it for you, just let me know.

For me, Night Driver is special because it was one of the very first videogames I played. A (probably copy) machine was at the camping-site I used to go as a kid. Must have been the late 70s. I like the action, but I can't really remember the re-play value.

Of course, it's a b/w only game and the graphics are simple (although we thought it was amazing fast and impressive at the time).

If you understand these things, this machine's for you :)

O, and there's one big plus when you do make the roadtrip: a stop at Level42's gameroom ! :D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 09:36:39 AM »
great, thx! i've asked for more pictures and whether it's working or not - i'll keep you informed!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 11:20:04 PM »
no answer from them! this "shop" seems kind of strange to me.

@level42: perhaps you should really try to phone them, they don't seem to be reliable!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 12:07:21 AM »
Yeah.....they're not that clever at all. Makes you wonder how they make a living....bet they think you're not serious or something...

I'll see if I can drop by at them tomorrow afternoon or call them.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 07:35:12 PM »
My friends, tomorrow I will be working next door to the "business" that has this Night Driver still for sale (at least, I think so).

I hope to have some time to pop in and have another look around....

If anyone's interested in the machine, let me know !

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 07:42:46 PM »
I just checked the seller's website, it reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer builds his own web page :arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyEGgbrJBw ;D
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set