Author Topic: Nice Find! Does anybody knows more about it? (Tempest inside)  (Read 22455 times)

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Atari enthusiast from eastern germany
    • View Profile
I have found a Tempest Upright Cabinet @german "ebay Kleinanzeigen" , and have picked up this cab yesterday. Here are the link: http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/diverse-nostalgie-spielautomaten/326790123-246-4285 Inside you will find only a lot of gambling and fruitmachines, but on the last pic you can seen a really good one  ;) found by a member of a german arcadeforum at first. he was there last week (but not interested in this cab) and has taken some pics from it and had post this in forum to find a good home for this cab...  :P
And I really want this one such a long time, Deal! ;)

unfortunately this cab was converted to a poker machine!  :'(

ok lets speaking pics...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:31:09 PM by TimePilot »

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Find! Does anybody knows it? (Tempest inside)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 12:17:09 AM »
I had picked up the beauty on yesterday (no road trip pics, sorry), and now he´s arrived in his (my) new home.  :spaceace:

condition is 3-4, all those cabs from advertisement standing by a "used parts dealer" OUTSIDE only under a pavillon!  :shock: and the tempest directly on the right side half under the roof, this is why he has some water damage (swollen wood and loose t-mold on the right side and loose PVC panel lower middle frontside).

OK, lets check this cab:
marquee are present and original, but painted black...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:36:57 AM by TimePilot »

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 12:19:29 AM »
but with ethanol and the magic pad he come slowly back to life... :-*

btw. do you see the different color schema to the US ones?  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:58:39 AM by TimePilot »

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 12:27:27 AM »
ok, lets glue the loose pvc panel with the ultimate Würth Kraftkleber plus spray... and exchange the leg leveler with really good ones from quarterarcade...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:59:13 AM by TimePilot »

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 12:32:52 AM »
lets make a quick view inside the machine...

the original power supply are present, but original wiring is hacked and the original pcbs, AR2 board and the XY monitor be missing.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:01:11 AM by TimePilot »

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 12:57:53 AM »
the coindoor key are be missing, so lets open the door from behind (key from rear panel are present) to check up the hacked controlpanel.

btw the cashbox are there, juhu.  :)

okay, lets opening the controlpanel and hope for good......... :arrow:
argghhhh, the condition of the controlpanel makes me really really sad... :'( :'( :'( they had not drilled any small holes for the buttons that i can fit, no, they had cut up a really big piece from panel...   :shock:
such a shame... why? spares are available in US...! ?
...okay now lets come back to the headliner message from this topic "Nice Find! Does anybody knows about it?":
The big story is that the controlpanel is in german language!!! + the color schema from cp and marquee different to the US ones. absolutely not seen yet!

pics...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:42:32 AM by TimePilot »

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 01:09:58 AM »
btw... as you can seen, i had built in my spare volcano buttons...  :) this holes are okay.

okay, now i have a real big problem, i want to to hold this cab as a uberrare german version, but a tempest overlay in german language are absolutely not to find. does anybody knows more about this or has seen a german tempest someday? i need more info, but the best way was a picture from the german panel. my goal is to reproduce the overlay as original.

entire view at this moment (sorry for blurry pics) with new leg levelers, repaired pvc panel lower coindoor and the clean (95%) marquee. :arrow:

Next steps: repair & glue the right side of cabinet incl. t-mold, cleaning the sidearts, cp and the last 5% from marquee...   8)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:37:26 AM by TimePilot »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 09:56:20 AM »
I want to to hold this cab as a uberrare german version, but a tempest overlay in german language are absolutely not to find.

Rare find, nice.  ;D  How sure are you that the German CPO is factory-real? It could be an aftermarket replacement by the German distributor, in which case it's not that original. Just thinking.

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Find! Does anybody knows about it? (Tempest inside)
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:21:13 AM »
great find  :spaceace:
power brick is inside, you are lucky. overlays are sold on the web and the quality is very good (i bought them some years ago)

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »
My Tempest has a German CP!

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 09:18:28 AM »
This is one interesting cab...... But man I salute you for taking on this project. The overlay was probably originol because no exploitant is gonna spend extra money on an overlay.

Franzy21

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 07:29:30 PM »
Evne if it's a lot of work to undertake, it's such a great find!!! :)
Dreaming of a Namco Galaxian waiting in a barn for me... somewhere! A Nintendo Sheriff would also make me happy. And a SNK Sasuke Vs Commanders or a SEGA Samurai... Argh too many; in fact!

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 05:04:19 PM »
the coindoor key are be missing, so lets open the door from behind (key from rear panel are present) to check up the hacked controlpanel.

btw the cashbox are there, juhu.  :)

okay, lets opening the controlpanel and hope for good......... :arrow:
argghhhh, the condition of the controlpanel makes me really really sad... :'( :'( :'( they had not drilled any small holes for the buttons that i can fit, no, they had cut up a really big piece from panel...   :shock:
such a shame... why? spares are available in US...! ?
...okay now lets come back to the headliner message from this topic "Nice Find! Does anybody knows about it?":
The big story is that the controlpanel is in german language!!! + the color schema from cp and marquee different to the US ones. absolutely not seen yet!

pics...

Scan it and we make it new, this needs to be scanned by all means...
Great find, you guys found the needle in the hay-mountain, I would never have found that.
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 06:57:39 PM »
This is one interesting cab...... But man I salute you for taking on this project. The overlay was probably originol because no exploitant is gonna spend extra money on an overlay.

Yes, I think the same. They would have used an Paint-Pen and would have written the stuff in german but for sure would´nt have hired a graphic designer and get that thing printed which was extraordinary expensive in the early 80´s.
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 08:09:53 PM »
I want to to hold this cab as a uberrare german version, but a tempest overlay in german language are absolutely not to find.

Rare find, nice.  ;D  How sure are you that the German CPO is factory-real? It could be an aftermarket replacement by the German distributor, in which case it's not that original. Just thinking.

Nope Erik, this version is 100% factory original, ireland made for the german business. for example: coindoor is the european version, different to the us ones. please see pics for details...  :arrow: