Author Topic: Joust to Robotron conversion  (Read 31483 times)

Wurstkopp

• Sausage loving vegetarian
    • View Profile
    • NIKLAS HUGHES ILLUSTRATIONS
Joust to Robotron conversion
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:29:55 AM »
Got this cabinet for (almost) free and my first thought was: Fuck, what do I do with it? No monitor, no marquee, no joysticks, no buttons and the cabinet is almost half eaten up by wood worms. And last but not least: I hate Joust. ::) ;D

I have to confess that my first thought was to convert it to a Final Fight :lol:, I have a complete artset and always wanted a FF cab. But after a little brainstorming with arcade buddies and some searching I realized that the cabinet used to be a Robotron once (or at least it has the Robotron/Bubbles cabinet shape). After 10 years of searching I finally got my hands on a Smash TV cabinet so why not go for some more Eugene Jarvis awesomeness? :)

Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Indiana Jones, Galaga 88, Roadblasters SD, Centipede cabaret, Asteroids cabaret, Phoenix cabaret, MVS-U4

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
Re: Joust to Robotron conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:39:04 AM »
Panel rebuild.

Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Indiana Jones, Galaga 88, Roadblasters SD, Centipede cabaret, Asteroids cabaret, Phoenix cabaret, MVS-U4

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »
Panel rebuild #2.

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »
Panel rebuild #3.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 09:46:17 AM »
way to go, sausagehead. fabulous effort. go go go ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 09:55:04 AM »
Thanks. :)

Next step: The missing monitor. Got my handy on a very cheap but untested Hantarex MTC 900, powered it up and... nothing. Of course. But how do the Robotrons say? The human race is inefficient and therefore must be destroyed. So a little closer inspection revealed the problem: All 3 fuse holders were corroded, one touch with a screwdriver and the metal crumbled away. I soldered the fuses directly to the chassis and...:

(Btw: Is it possible to attach pics and alter the size?)

Thwocker

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Universal Arcade Cabs
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »
Woho, amazing skills!   :o
Wanted: everything Universal , Stern and Gottlieb. Currently looking for Computer R3, Curve Ball, Goal to Go, Jungler, Fast Draw, Limbo, No Man's Land and Speed Coin.

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 02:16:23 PM »
Thanks. :)

This will get updated very soon. The biggest problem with everything related to arcade refurbing has always been that I'm living 150 Km away from my gameroom. I pretty much got used to it and took along smaller pieces like control panels etc. to my flat to work there on it, but when it comes to whole cabinets I'd have to drive over to my gameroom and do the work over there. But eventually I got sick of it and finally cleaned my cellar. Now there's a little bit of free space down there..! ;)

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »
cool project  :spaceace:

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 03:23:05 PM »
YES!!! GO GO GO  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 04:21:50 PM »
Cool project indeed! In two weeks my Robotron arrives (from container 7).
Will be interesting to see how you restore this. Mine needs some TLC too, but should be complete and working.
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 06:36:13 PM »
Awesome !

How the crap did you get that CPO off in one piece ???? Or did the worms help you ?

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 07:24:49 PM »
That was the easiest part. :)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 08:49:40 PM »
That was the easiest part. :)

count yourself lucky to have this little device. i will buy one tomorrow. my joust cpo kept me busy for 5 bloody days. it was incredibly sticky after the cpo was removed. i did try everything to get the glue off... but finally only patience did the job. will put the new cpo on the control panel tomorrow so the machine will be ready for the weekend.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Wurstkopp

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 09:11:32 PM »
Wait! I just remembered: I wanted to get rid of the worms and baked the whole panel for about an hour in the oven! No kidding. :lol:
After that I could just pull off the cpo.
Temperature was 75 degrees. Here's a pic of the transformer block in the oven (I will kill all the worms for sure!):