Author Topic: # Road Trip # KASCO - THE DRIVER - ...it's a game with a red car, movie style...  (Read 89535 times)

keri

• View Profile
waowww.... What a treasure you found. I'm interested in all kind of cinema techniques, and this cabinet join both of my interests : arcade games and analogic cinema !!

so yes, i think it is 16mm reel with its optical sound track.

If you plan to replace old projection system by a more classic video screen (which I hope won't be your final choice !!) you have several companies who use this kind of stuff :

These are digital scanners that allow to "digitize" 35 or 16mm film reels.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/fr/products/cintel
http://www.arri.com/archive_technologies/arriscan/

good luck for this project, I'm gonna follow this post very closely
 ;)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:42:26 PM by keri »

Nic-fryer

• View Profile

so yes, i think it is 16mm reel with its optical sound track.

I have to disagree, although I can't be certain, but that looks more like it has magnetic sound than optical  ;D

But that's just MHO
- BLANK -

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Hey guys,

Just to let you know that the video footage are just arrived to the right location, in the hands of the right person.  8)

Hope this footage is still usable in 2014... stay tuned   8)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
I think i know who has it now  ;) ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Ok guys... it's time for a nice update!  Here's the story... 8)

To participate to the last Eurocade exhibition ( September 2014), I went to the Sound and Vision (‘Nederlands Instituut voor Beeld en Geluid’) and during a visit of the several departments/offices in this building with Pieter aka Gyruss (employee at this place)... I've discovered what is the purpose of this organization, see  :arrow:

The Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision (‘Nederlands Instituut voor Beeld en Geluid’) is a cultural-historical organization of national interest. It collects, preserves and opens the audiovisual heritage for as many users as possible: media professionals, education, science and the general public. In addition, the institute develops and disseminates knowledge in the area of audiovisual archiving, digitization and media history.

...digitization...? ... wait a minute... I have something really special to preserve.... yes ... the wheel from the game of course! So I talked to Pieter about this stuff to preserve and he immediately agreed to help on this! How cool is that!!!  :-*  :)

So let's prepare the stuff for save.

I got with the game two different wheels, unused, still in there boxes. Note that I also have a third wheel, but that one is loaded/stuck inside the cabinet. I won't touch this third wheel for now, so let's take care of these two NOS wheels  :arrow:

...let's pack the stuff...

...and send it to Pieter @ the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision...

...arriving at destination :

...where Pieter followed all the technical steps to preserve this rare footage!  :arrow:

Done! ...and note that the wheels are no more in their cardboard boxes... They are now into something more appropriate :

...and...few weeks l8ter... I've received the precious...

THE package with all the original stuff, but also...an hard drive... that contains ultra high resolution captures of the two wheels!  :-* :-* :-*

I'm preparing the videos... stay tuned!  :)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Man thats so cool !

I knew already since i joined you and pieter in your tour, but still, great man.

This is really only possible when you know the right people, so lots of  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: for gyruss !

Well done pieter !!

ataritoobin

• View Profile
Wow - amazing stuff!   :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
This is so cool

nice job, Bruno and Pieter

muddymusic

• Arcade Art Shop
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Shop
That's awesome, nice to see it properly preserved. I do feel it's us collectors that have a duty to ensure this stuff is properly archived and documented for the future, so it's great to see things like this happen :)
repro artwork supplier, visit www.arcadeartshop.com

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
amazing stuff, bruno, but please don't use the word "wheel" anymore, those are "film reels" 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Footage from the first film reel/movie wheel is now... AVAILABLE  :)  :arrow:

Enjoy!  ;)

Wurstkopp

• Sausage loving vegetarian
    • View Profile
    • NIKLAS HUGHES ILLUSTRATIONS
True dedication!! Thumbs up!!!

Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Indiana Jones, Galaga 88, Roadblasters SD, Centipede cabaret, Asteroids cabaret, Phoenix cabaret, MVS-U4

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Awesome work !!!!!

I was surprised that it's all French cars with French license plates.....thought it would be Japanese cars in Japan ;)

Also funny that sometimes there are two people in the red car and sometimes one....

And cool to see how the "drive aiming" worked with the black/white section. Pretty obvious how this worked :)

Now........there are still some Nintendo cabs with movie reels around that need to be saved for the future.......Andreas ??? :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Fun quiz for old people here....name all the Renault models in this footage.

I'll give it a try.

The red car you chase is a Renault 9.

The first green car from the right is a Renault 12 break (station wagon)

The white and beige/brown cars are Renault 14

There is a white Renault 4 right after the turn around the motor police officer.

And then there's a white care with boot that doesn't look like a Renault but maybe a Peugeot just before the red car enters the village....

Now the interesting stuff.......the model 9 according to Wikipedia was only introduced in ..........1981....so....if that really IS a Renault 9 then that film was shot quite a bit after the game was made :) (and maybe Renault sponsored it ? ;))
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:45:45 AM by Level42 »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
I only know / remember the renault 4 & 12