Dragon's Lair Fans - Arcade Lifestyle
May 30, 2020, 10:12:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ALS'/DLF' : your daily dose of Arcade Life Style...inside the Dragon's Lair!

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: # Road Trip # KASCO - THE DRIVER - ...it's a game with a red car, movie style...  (Read 53305 times)
Luigi
ArcadeLifeStyler'

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 09:01:01 AM »

Amazing work guys!!!  Space Ace

Holy sh]t....I think making a videogame has never been that dangerous after filming those scenes  shock
baritonomarchetto
ArcadeLifeStyler'

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »

I had never ever even heard about this incredible machine! What is the working principle? Is somehow like laser games where you give the right input at the right time, or something different?

Anyhow, Bruno, you have the peculiant ability to give to your roadtrips/findings something more, a different touch... not sure what it is, but keep this "thing" up!

"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"
vernimark
ArcadeLifeStyler'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 10:34:51 AM »

What a F***ing fantastic game is it?!

Space Ace Space Ace  Space Ace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLRKkzcWIpU
Level42
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 04:12:02 PM »

What a F***ing fantastic game is it?!

Space Ace Space Ace  Space Ace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLRKkzcWIpU

Mmm, the car and the action on that video are a whole lot more exiting than Bruno's reels....

@Luigi: professional stunt team Smiley

kos71

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »

Space Ace you rocks  Space Ace

thanks for the saving of this game you made it .

you made my day nuno

lesoleil70

Wales, Cymru Am Byth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 12:24:05 AM »

man I can't tell you in words, how it was for me seeing this again.

Space Ace

lesoleil70

Wales, Cymru Am Byth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »

Where you the uk guy that called to the arcade outsiders on the voicemail about it long time ago ?

Yes - it was me  Cheesy

anunaki
ArcadeLifeStyler'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2014, 08:48:17 PM »

awesome

lesoleil70

Wales, Cymru Am Byth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »

Guys I found my call ..ugh...not my best moment. Space Ace
http://ec.libsyn.com/p/f/b/e/fbe1547bcd9e4091/arcade_out_ep_11.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d06c9813ed4cf5fd494&c_id=6378232
Episode 11 Arcade Outsiders
20 mins in 
Nov 7 2013

Etienne MacGyver
ArcadeLifeStyler'

The Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 09:22:51 PM »

Ah yes EP11, i was not far off  Cheesy

here is some info in the Arcade outsiders thread over at KLOV

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=284990&page=32
lesoleil70

Wales, Cymru Am Byth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2014, 10:08:16 PM »

page 125 for me...maybe it's a settings thing.

07/11

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=284990&page=125

Thanks I hadn't seen that...did they discuss it the week after as per John's post or not?

Etienne MacGyver
ArcadeLifeStyler'

The Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 10:26:14 PM »

Nope, they forget instantly i guess Grin

about the page, you're right, i use the max posts per page (40)
you can find that in your options  Wink

* Screenshot580.jpg (73.82 KB, 1137x458 - viewed 375 times.)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:28:34 PM by Etienne MacGyver » Logged
keri

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2014, 09:44:20 AM »

well done Bruno !!
do you have more informations about the digitize process ? how long does it take ? is it able to scan the reel at play speed ?
Amazing how the whole stunt action looks "real". I could almost think not all the car were driven by stuntmen...
DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2014, 08:33:31 PM »

Glad to see you all seems to appreciate such stuff, it's cool  Smiley

Now the interesting stuff.......the model 9 according to Wikipedia was only introduced in ..........1981....so....if that really IS a Renault 9 then that film was shot quite a bit after the game was made Smiley (and maybe Renault sponsored it ? Wink)

Yes, and it was also a surprise for me when I saw the footage for the very first time! I expected to follow a corvette or some 'red sport car' ?
What a surprise to see ...french cars on *I guess* french roads...  Grin

Before seeing back this cabinet, I often wondered how the game was doing the link between the displayed video and the controls to perform 'on the right time'?
Especially when you know this  arrow
A game is about 90 sec long, no matter you play well or not. After a game over, the projector doesn't rewind the wheel (and it's just technically impossible because this film reel does an 'infinite loop'). It means that a game never start at the same 'frame', so how the hell the game handles the player controls, in order to make something 'coherent' with what happens on the screen, huh?
For a laser disk game such Dragon's Lair, it's quite easy because there is a program on a PCB who can establish the right action to do, on the right time, during the right frames...but in it this 'EM' game running a projector without any 'frames control?  how ? how? how the hell how?

And the answer came, yes, after seeing this video footage.   Cool The bottom of the picture shows 'in white' the 'OK area' where the player's driving wheel position can be positioned. If the racing wheel is positioned somewhere in the 'black area', you fail...

While knowing this, it was probably quite easy to create many different movies, because there's no change to do except to replace the film reel which includes the 'ok/not wheel position'  Smiley
Kasco probably released few movies per regional locations? Obviously at last one for France because we can now refer to this first film reel digitized!  Smiley
It's funny because we could also create our own footage... like driving inside our own town... Grin

Now remember I own THREE movies :

The first one was NOS/boxed and you can see it on youtube
The second one was NOS/boxed and you'll see it on youtube very soon!  Wink
The third one is the one located inside the cabinet

...we will see what kind of locations/cars used for the two others movies  Wink

Oh... all I'm saying here is just by deduction/analysis of the informations I own at this precise moment, because the game is currently non-working...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:47:20 PM by DarthNuno » Logged

DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2014, 08:43:22 PM »

do you have more informations about the digitize process ? how long does it take ? is it able to scan the reel at play speed ?

Yeah, that would be very interesting to know that! Maybe Gyruss can explains the process?  Wink

Amazing how the whole stunt action looks "real". I could almost think not all the car were driven by stuntmen...

Yeah I agree... it looks so 'real'!  Grin
Oh, I'm also wondering how they film this? I mean Kasco (Japanese company) commissioned some guys/movie company in France to shoot this? I would be curious to know who and how they did this? Do they used stunt men? Do they worked with the police because it happened on public roads? Do they closed the roads? What was the 'request for proposal' submitted by Kasco? Any story board? Tongue All these details...  Tongue
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:48:13 PM by DarthNuno » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: