Author Topic: Ric-o-chet  (Read 23844 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Ric-o-chet
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:51:53 AM »
Remember this one?

This nice machine was (or is) situated at the Belgian Warehouse that was raided by us several times.  ;D  At my first vist (André's second or third) we asked the owner if he would sell this game, but he didn't want to because he was still lending it out for money a few times a year, it earned him part of his pension. That is cool.  8)

However, a few weeks ago chrischris found another one, through a friend of his, and he was asking around some guys for interest in buying it. A few did and I ended up to be the lucky one.  :)

The game was situated nearby Chris' place and this week he took the time and effort to pick it up for me.  :) :)  Thanks, mate.

And here it is:

It is dirty, very dirty but it seems to be in good cosmetical condition and according to Chris it is still complete. But the working condition is unknown, it hasn't been turned on (lol) for over 10 years.

I don't know yet if there will go a lot of work into this game, but I hope that this thread ends with some nice pictures of me and friends playing a 4-player game of Pong!  ;D

For now, enjoy the flyer.

Chris, if you have additional pictures and info, be my guest.  :) ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Ric-o-chet
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 01:05:00 AM »
You lucky SOAB  ;D

Love it...:)

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 01:14:54 AM »
very peculiar and very rare!  :spaceace:

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »
Here we go then :)

The game was located somewhere in this big building in Belgium called "Palais des Expositions" (where all the exhibitions take place) in Charleroi.
Unfortunately the seller forgot our first appointment so I had to go home empty handed :/

It gave me the opportunity to pass by this roundabout known as the "Marsupilami Roundabout" (it's a Belgian cartoon character). It's also the exact place where I failed miserably the very first time I tried to pass my driving licensed :)

A few days later, I was there again.
This time the seller was there and he told me the machine was located on the back of the "Palais des Expositions" in what used to be the Bowling.
I love that creepy picture :)

Once inside it's even better!
You can see that the bowling lanes have been taken.
It's a model racing club who used them to make circuits for their little toys.
There's also that nice "shit dripping ceiling" which makes the place look like it's eaten by a giant mushroom.

The machine is in the back near the lavatories, sad and alone.

Once the pinball like legs are removed it fits perfectly in my car, but really this is a heavy machine for it's size.

Bye Bye, creepy place!

On the other side of this huge building there's also that picture which I always hated since I was a kid (you can see it from the highway). For a mysterious reason (because they are cut? because they are clowns?), it has always scared me. But now I'm a real man and I stood up next to it and even took a picture.

Especially this guy hiding behind the puzzle:

A bit further, there's an other clown related place...
As a kid we were always passing by this shop before taking the highway.
I always wanted to to there because it was supposed to be THE place where you could buy all kind of magic tricks and accessories to dress up and make jokes (you know from clown noses to  exploding cigarettes, that kind of stuff). The fact that it was weirdly located right before the highway made it a bit mysterious because my parents never took me there… so the place was even more tempting.
Years later when I had a car I went there, and my god, it was very disappointing and tiny and dusty. Some things should definitely be left as fantasies.

But I digress, back home with the game on it's feet and my back half broken.
Why is it always raining when I unload games alone?

The inside.
Except for the power chord it seems complete and "clean".

Here's the price (in Belgian francs) and luckily that's exactly the amount I found inside :)

I also found these 2 nice ladies inside, very sexy 70's.
Blond or Brown?

Nice game I'm glad it's saved and going to a nice home.
The only thing I'm officially asking is to be the first one to have an option if you ever decide to sell it one day. Deal?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:26:41 AM by chrischris »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 12:09:03 PM »
Nice !

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »
Great pics ! So awesome the Marsupilami has a statue there !! I think it's the birthplace of André Franquin right ?

Love the Bowling picture.....creepy indeed :)

Awesome machine. I think I saw a PCB like that at the Belgian warehouse.....now let's pray it works :)

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »
is it a 4 player pong like game?

It looks really oldschool to me

mikemcbike

• I'm the universal solder
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Repair Logs
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
Wow, what a nice find, i like those discrete games. There is a huge possibility that the PCB might work.

I go a similar one (Paddle Battle), it worked without Problems: http://www.wolfgangrobel.de/arcadereps/paddle.htm

The best thing on that PCB ist the futuristic font... ;-)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »
I think thats "MagneticCardWide"  ;D

mumboking

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »
I think thats "MagneticCardWide"  ;D

The C Doesn't match... Close though... Probably a hand-made one.
I enjoy reading about arcade cabinets. I don't own one though... :(

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 01:58:30 PM »
Wow, what a nice find, i like those discrete games. There is a huge possibility that the PCB might work.

I go a similar one (Paddle Battle), it worked without Problems: http://www.wolfgangrobel.de/arcadereps/paddle.htm

The best thing on that PCB ist the futuristic font... ;-)
Oh yes, that reminds me I also have an untested Paddle Battle PCB if this helps fixing the Ric-O-Chet.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 02:00:50 PM »
nice catch and an interesting story behind it - well told, chris, that's how roadtrips (of the century) are supposed to be "reported"  :P

btw, i'll take the blonde one 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Vond

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 02:06:43 PM »
Love that cabinet! And the pictures.
The whole deserted bowling alley vibe is awesome!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 02:12:31 PM »
Great pics ! So awesome the Marsupilami has a statue there !! I think it's the birthplace of André Franquin right ?
I was a big fan of Franquin's work, I even studied a few years to be a cartoonist partially because of that :)
He was born in Brussels actually (etterbeek) but this statue from one of his character was installed temporarily in 88 to celebrate the annual big comic strip festival in Charleroi.
It was removed after the event but as it had become a part of the landscape they put it back forever in 89.

nice catch and an interesting story behind it - well told, chris, that's how roadtrips (of the century) are supposed to be "reported"  :P

btw, i'll take the blonde one 8)
Thanks Ully! If I had a way to rename this topic I'd add "of the century" for sure :)

Love that cabinet! And the pictures.
The whole deserted bowling alley vibe is awesome!

there's even an abandoned discotheque in there, with round windows placed in a way that you could see the bowling alley...but I wasn't allowed to take pics :/

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 02:28:26 PM »
Thanks Ully! If I had a way to rename this topic I'd add "of the century" for sure :)

even if you could, that title is already taken :D
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!