Author Topic: I want to find a Dragon's Lair this year. How important is original hardware?  (Read 29300 times)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX

Starwars out - Dragons Lair in

harhar. the only way for me would be:

star wars in
dragons lair in
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

johnsarcade

• Mushroom Kingdom, USA
    • View Profile
    • John's Arcade
I had an empty space already from when I sold the Black Knight pinball. I was saving that space for Journey. D'oh! Star Wars is still in the basement but it's on death row. It's leaving soon to be replaced by a 720. :)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
and where is journey going ?  or will that be staying in the garage with the cassette attract ?  ;)

I actually like the cassette attract mode iyam.

johnsarcade

• Mushroom Kingdom, USA
    • View Profile
    • John's Arcade
and where is journey going ?  or will that be staying in the garage with the cassette attract ?  ;)

I actually like the cassette attract mode iyam.

I think QIX is leaving to make room for the Journey. :) Unless I can figure out a way to get one more game in the basement. However, I need space for two more games. Quantum needs to come down too!!! !@!@#!$

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
hrhrhrhr...
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
this passed the chat during the last AO, i thought it was hilarious :-)

i did not make it though
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:46:14 PM by Etienne MacGyver »

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
I agree with all of you, but...

I think I've tested almost every available version of DL (getting better image each time, last one was Blu-Ray,HD enhanced, aso)
including Daphne with downloaded Mpegs or DVD-converted files but never, never did I feel the same as the original LD.

Laserdisc has a picture quality that I never was able to find in any conversion I've played.
May be that's because I Played the LD version on a TV and the other versions on PC Monitors.

But I remember the first time I was able to play DL using Daphne, and a real LD player.
I tought : "That's the real DL I was playing in the arcade" and that i've been looking for all these years each time a new version was out.

So is LD Image great or is it just an output hardware display difference that i noticed ?

It appears a little like purism and fan-fanatism.

A LD-Player uses a laser to read the disc as well as a DVD- or Bluray-Player, right?

If you go with .mpeg´s (or what ever files), with LD, DVD or BR, its all digital content. For my understanding it should be all the same as well as the testmonitor is the same.

The LD has been replaced by the DVD and the DVD by the BR....and one is the enhancement of the other - from that point of view the LD should be the lowest quality...although, if the LD is the source the other media wont be better than the LD-content, but should at least be as good as the source.

Thats my consideration :)
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
No. Laserdisc video is analogue not digital. Audio was digital later though.

Analogue signal allows for infinite colors and will never show artifacting. Maybe that is what can be seen although as difference but esp. Blu-Ray should be able to produce a better picture quality if they were recreated from the original films. If that is desirable for a classic cab.....I don't think so.

But I agree that I personally wouldn't care where the picture is coming from.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:27:48 PM by Level42 »

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile

André, thanks for the enlightment.

I will walk through that alley when I start the restoration of my Space Ace.

Do they produce DVD, Bluray and other materials from the original films?
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle

I will walk through that alley when I start the restoration of my Space Ace.

Do they produce DVD, Bluray and other materials from the original films?

Just buy this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragons-Lair-20th-Anniversary-Special-Edition-Box-Set-DVD-3-DVD-Games-/111468581119?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item19f40b90ff

Then download daphne right here :http://www.daphne-emu.com/site3/index_hi.php
Daphne will rip for you the footage from that 20th anniversary DVD version, well know to be the best source ever / recognized to be as close as possible than the original LD material.
...and you'll play DL/SA, legally with the true roms! Check the FAQ on Daphne right here.

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile

Blu-Ray should be able to produce a better picture quality if they were recreated from the original films. If that is desirable for a classic cab.....I don't think so.

But I agree that I personally wouldn't care where the picture is coming from.

If the original hardware does'nt work and I have to choose a system that does not deliver exactly the same image but rather comes extremly close to it I will go with a system that looks rather better than the original.