Author Topic: Robbedoes (Spirou) and KIJK magazine ads from the early 80's....& more :)  (Read 11976 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
My parents are moving house so I removed the last of my stuff from their attic and found a HUGE stack of Robbedoes (Spirou in French) magazines. These were weekly issued and had lots of strips.

The issue was Flemish/Dutch language but clearly mostly done by/aimed at the Flemmish part of Belgium.

I had a subscription from around 1981 until 1985 judging by the dates.

I found a number of pretty cool ads for Atari, computers etc. so I decided to scan them.

Enjoy !

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:26:38 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Robbedoes (Spirou) magazine ads from the early 80's....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »
Please be patient....scanning and uploading now :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
No time to link individually, here's the Flickr album...

I'll give some comments later.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/level_42/sets/72157645630366060/

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »
very cool, love those cheesy dutch advertising slogans

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:43:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing, nice to see the Atari 2600 games in its original release time. :D

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:00:21 PM »
So cool! I was an avid reader of Spirou.
My grandmother would always buy me the yearly edition (a big book that gathered all the issues from the year) at the beginning of the summer holidays. I remember staring at those ads for hours.
The Star Wars figures adds were also cool because they tried to tell a story using the toys.

I love the Flash Gordon/Pepsi/Atari one... so bad it's good :)
... and I still have my TI-30 Galaxy!

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing :)
Can I add some of them on www.atarimania.com ?

Franck
Have You Played Atari Today ?

kos71

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 02:16:36 PM »
thanks dude . i lvoe the flash gordon one ;D . nice idea

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing :)
Can I add some of them on www.atarimania.com ?

Franck
Yes of course Franck, no problem ! :)

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 09:03:30 AM »
lovely adverts, so eighties.  :-*

thanks for sharing Andre.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »
MORE ! :) and BETTER !!!

OK let me warm you up, this is unrelated...but it does show how damn BIG Level 42 was in the 80's in Holland...it is listed in one breath with all the big world-stars of that era, so....I really liked it :) By the way, this one is from Kijk magazine, so Dutch.

Naamloos100 by Level_42, on Flickr

Then I found this "magazine". It was a typical early 80's magazine, in the event of home videorecorders and rental movies. Most stuff in there is erotic and violent rental movies...but apparently the other stuff was about videogames.

Naamloos102 by Level_42, on Flickr

Sadly this edition seemed to be a "teaser" edition because it is lacking the really interesting stuff....there are only the first number of pages..

Here's the index showing something I would LOVE to read:

Naamloos103 by Level_42, on Flickr

It says "ATARI KAMPIOENSCHAPPEN.....30..... and this edition was from 1983 so I bet it was the Centipede championships where I took part in.

It also mentions an article about the Atari 5200 which would be interesting to read, because AFAIK it was never officially released in Holland.

Alas, only the first 10 pages or so, all rental video rubbish :(

OK one more unrelated but still a lot of fun to see today, no comment necessary I guess....It says "The big three united"

Naamloos 2 by Level_42, on Flickr

Hey, remember that "Dunamicro"....wow it sure made a difference in picture quality with other tapes...................not :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:22:44 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 08:37:53 PM »
OK back on topic I hear you say !

Here's one with a "TOPO" robot. This was famous in Holland because it was featured in "Wondere Wereld" ("amazing world") by Chriet Titulaer, a Dutch TV program about all the most recent technology stuff (god I miss that ;))

You could apparently win one and then it could do AWESOME stuff like bring your French fries.....by the time it would reach you the plate was probably almost empty and the one's left cold :P

No idea what that computer thing is ;)

Naamloos 15 by Level_42, on Flickr

Then we move on to the Dutch electronics giant (well, it was in the 80's) Philips. Through Magnavox it had the Oddysey and was called Videopac in Europe.
IMHO this thing a piece of rubbish. My cousin had the G7000 and I hated the joysticks. The keyboard had to be operated using a large hammer to get the "keys" pressed and the games all looked the same because they used mostly built in characters...

The only positive thing I remember was Happelaar or Munchkin which was actually a fun Pac Man clone..

Anyway, this ad is a sad try by Philips to sell the follow up of the G7000, the G7400 as if it also could be used as a serious homecomputer.
As if the G7400 didn't look bad enough already, they put a HUMONGOUS thing on top that apparently made it possible to connect a taperecorder....
It is also funny that the ad actually says that it is compatible with all G7000 games except Nr.5, 31 and 40....whichever games that were.

The G7400 had "improved graphics" but what they really did was only add some nice looking backgrounds to the lousy G7000 graphics which remained mostly.

Of course, no one fell for all these dirty tricks, and only 3 G7400 machines were sold.....no, I bet it was more but to say it was a big success.....no. Philips quickly left the console market after this....only to make yet another flop.....

Naamloos by Level_42, on Flickr

Apparently some marketing guys woke up at Philips and made a little bit more attractive ad for the G7400.

Naamloos 5 by Level_42, on Flickr

I like that tank.....you think those guys had seen Tron... ? ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:47:33 PM by Level42 »

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 08:51:50 PM »
I had so little fun with my G7000 that retrospectively, I think it kept me away from console gaming for a few years.
All you wrote is true + the games were so expensive!!!
The only thing I still like to this day is the packaging for the games, cool illustrations and nice huge plastic boxes.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:56:48 PM by chrischris »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 08:52:18 PM »
OK, this one is for the hand-held lovers here....not the brand you immideatly think about: Casio !

The games look rather simple. I think that racing game is still in production today though in other formats.

Anyway, very interesting, never seen any of those before.

Naamloos 12 by Level_42, on Flickr

I think I may have posted this before, or it was similar from KIJK magazine, but this is the Belgian one from Robbedoes. Vectrex goodness !

Naamloos 13 by Level_42, on Flickr

Then my big love....this is from Dutch KIJK magazine and it was in the first two pages.

See that missing part ? That is where the Atari logo and name was.....I bet I used it for something as it is cut out LOL :)
The great thing about this ad is that everything is true what they claim  ;D ;D ;D

Naamloos 21 by Level_42, on Flickr

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 08:55:01 PM »
I had so little fun with my G7000 that I retrospectivly, I think it kept me away from console gaming for a few years.
All you wrote is true + the games were so expensive!!!
The only thing I still like to this day is the packaging for the games, cool illustrations and nice huge plastic boxes.

Yep those plastic boxes were the Philips trademark, they used them for cassettes, reel-to-reel tapes, hell even CD's ;)
Still....indeed best and longest lasting packaging but also increased costs quite a bit.

My cousin had a G7000. His dad fell for the keyboard trick, making believe it could be something serious. The only thing you could do with it was enter your name, which would disappear again after you turned off power. Very useful ! ;)

I had a 2600 then, and I felt it was superior in every way possible.