Author Topic: Barcade in Amsterdam ?  (Read 14253 times)

Bomjac

• View Profile
Barcade in Amsterdam ?
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
I saw something in the Easyjet flight mag on the way to 020 last week about a barcade that had opened in Amsterdam - Does anyone have info on it ?

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Barcade in Amsterdam ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:02:43 PM »
Google sais there is a barcade named Tonton club in Amsterdam

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:32:51 PM »
yes it is in the Red Light district. In a former church
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:31:38 PM »
Dont think it is anything like the real barcades in the US. There are arcade machines yes but not just videogames......don't get your hope too high.....I think it's a hipster place....

http://www.tontonclub.nl

Thwocker

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Universal Arcade Cabs
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 06:04:33 PM »
Hm, or is this because you just don't like Amsterdam   ;)
Wanted: everything Universal , Stern and Gottlieb. Currently looking for Computer R3, Curve Ball, Goal to Go, Jungler, Fast Draw, Limbo, No Man's Land and Speed Coin.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 06:05:50 PM »
Hm, or is this because you just don't like Amsterdam   ;)
Or the red light district? ;D

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 08:40:41 PM »
Dont think it is anything like the real barcades in the US. There are arcade machines yes but not just videogames......don't get your hope too high.....I think it's a hipster place....

http://www.tontonclub.nl

Yeahhh finally we are hip again  ;D  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 09:39:48 PM »
No, we would be the old guys there :)

Thwocker.....mmmm, maybe you have a point there, but in all honesty, I just discussed this with Pieter two days ago over lunch....i said that if there would be any place in Holland for a Barcade to succeed it would be Amsterdam because of the loads of tourists......but maybe I was wrong....

I visited Barcade in Jersey city and the main target audience there were definitly the younger people, students etc. plenty of those in cities like Utrecht, Rotterdam and Groningen f.i.

TonTon is heavily subsidized because they actually want to change the red light district (or destroy it if you look at an other view).

Béla, I actually like to stroll around the area if I'm very close for work, it's a lot of fun to walk around. And that's just that....walk around :)

I should visit the place though.....to get a 100% honest experience AND I DO support the initiative, anything arcade related is great !! Just wanted to point that Barcade (all 80s classic videogames only) and TonTon are more different than the same....

cebulba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 07:01:02 PM »
Think I came across that one on my last retro trip to the netherlands
http://www.retro-lounge.com/going-westretro-reise-2013-part-1/ but decided agains walk-in as it was seen from the outside it's more of a gambling area.

maybe I come back next time.

Anybody has a list of nice places in NY and East Coast of USA for a visit?
I'm planning a NY,Boston,Montreal, Chicago roadtrip within this year.

I already have 5 spots on my list...

Kuros

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »
This is a truly great arcade. This Friday (the 18th) they will have their 1 year anniversary party.

Donkey

• View Profile
    • Killscreen - danish arcade/pinball news blog
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 03:14:40 PM »
What games do they have? Can only find pictures of pinball machines (which is cool) and shooting and driving games (meh)
I need a Berzerk! Hook me up :)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 10:28:09 PM »
What games do they have? Can only find pictures of pinball machines (which is cool) and shooting and driving games (meh)

So, no Duck Hunt for you good sir??  ;D

Donkey

• View Profile
    • Killscreen - danish arcade/pinball news blog
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 07:13:10 PM »
Pfftt noo. But maybe some Wild Gunman  8)
I need a Berzerk! Hook me up :)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 08:34:34 PM »
Pfftt noo. But maybe some Wild Gunman  8)

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

nilfisk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 09:51:54 PM »
Being a guest speaker at a conference in Amsterdam tomorrow, I took the opportunity to visit Tonton club today. I must say that I was rather disappointed. While staff was nice, and prices were fair (6 tokens for 5 euros, at 1 token per game), the selection of games was mediocre, and the games maintenance left some room for improvement.

Vids I saw: Pacman (generic cab), Metal Slug (Astro City), Simpsons, Pop'n'Music, Mario Kart twin cab, Terminator 2, Sega's Rail Chase, Mortal Kombat, and one or two driving games I don't remember. The MK's monitor needed a cap kit (the picture was shaking badly), the cab next to it had degaussing issues (colours messed up in the corners). Also, there was another candy cab that was switched off and supposedly broken.

The selections of pins was quite good, with a few modern Sterns, but again, not fully utilizing its potential. Metallica (a game I always wanted to play) had it's volume turned down to almost zero (where's the sense in that for a game that's focusing on a music group), and Attack from Mars was working ok, but the drop targets in front of the Ufo had seen better days. Pins were set to 4 balls for 1 game/token, so again: fair pricing.

There was quite a bit of unused space, with room for more cabs.

All in all, it's cool to see a place like that, but don't get your hopes too high.

Martin