Author Topic: DATA EAST KARATE CHAMP SCRATCH BUILD, YOU CAN ORDER IT AS WELL AS OTHER CABINETS  (Read 32513 times)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile

A friend and me (both arcade-freak) are just about to start a business with replicas of original dedicated arcade cabinets (the homepage is not online yet but within the next weeks).

We going to send all over the world but shipping will be the cheapest in Europe as we are from Austria.

Since my partner got a big company for the construction of prototypes we are able to perform any task.
His company works for all sorts of industries...for BMW for instance (currently for the upcomming I8).

Cabinets like Star Wars in the Cockpit-Version are on top of our to do list.

Feel free to make suggestions and orders of any cabinet you can think of and if we have enough orders or you pay the price we will take it into our database.

I start off with one of the first projects, a friend wanted to have a Karate Champ, here are the first impressions.

- Note, all of our cabinets will have improvements were the original sucks. The Karate Champ for example was a cab that stood on its sidepanels whats the reason that every Karate Champ I saw had terrible damaged sidepanels.
We not only avoid that, we also lay the T-Molding all around the sidepanel.

The front door and the 2 rear doors are requirements of the customer, the frames around the doors gives the cabinet awesome strenght, but we can do it without the front door and one big rear door on the backside.

No furniture is supposed to stay on the sidepanel as you will damage it if you transport it and if you have water on the floor.

Our wood-bar undercostructions is superior to that and gives the room to add casters to roll the cabinet for reassembling or cleaning.
Due to the added space under the cab nobody can see that the cab is on wheels as it only hoovers some millimeters above the ground.

Since the upload is a problem as always I used Photobucket to upload high-quality images (but the quality is not as it should be but contact me for better quality images and I will email you):

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/synonym999/embed/slideshow/SCRATCH%20BUILT%20DATA%20EAST%20KARATE%20CHAMP"></iframe>

I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

glstar

• View Profile
I like this idea....
I like to have an hypersport / track'n'field cabinet too....(a cocktail too)....
Do you have a price in mind for a full cabinet?

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
I like this idea....
I like to have an hypersport / track'n'field cabinet too....(a cocktail too)....
Do you have a price in mind for a full cabinet?

actually i would join in for hyper sports and hyper olympics, too.
i would prefer the uprights though.

Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

neocps1

• View Profile
looks cool, any idea of the prices and the delays ?

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile

Tyrem and glstar:

At the moment we are just about to calculate the price. We do not offer something and say we ask for this and that, we calculate from our costs away as we want to have a reasonable pricing politics.

We need to find a good laminat source as this is just a much higher quality at the end.
Even if you paint MDF you would have to primer it first to keep the wood from sucking the paint in and show its texture.

Also, on laminate you are able use water to apply the artwork-foil, that avoids air bubbles and helps to move the foil in position.

We want to offer a perfect product.

glstar:

What exactly do you mean by "a full cabinet", a ready to run with PCB or PC installed?

I am very very busy with the Tempest CAD-file, but if you can get measurements and detail pictures of the cabinets you want I will start it contemporaneous and can show you first results in some days.

As for the renderings of the Karate Champ:

A member sent me an email if that are real pictures as it only looks like renderings.
They ARE renderings indeed, but this is not that usual google sketch up- stuff.

We construct the cabinets in CATIA, this is parametric CAD-software starting at 30 000€
The 3D-model is assembled by the individual parts and that CATIA-files rights interact with the CNC-Devices we use.

So if the 3D-model works, it works in reality, the CNC-device gives the parts out like a puzzle that fits together with 100% accuracy.
This is not what one could produce at home with jig saw, the cuts of our products are laser straight, the curves perfect and the joints are so exact that it looks like its a cast part.

I hope that gave some insight, but feel free to go for further questions, we try to answer as soon as possible.

:)
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

glstar

• View Profile

Tyrem and glstar:

At the moment we are just about to calculate the price. We do not offer something and say we ask for this and that, we calculate from our costs away as we want to have a reasonable pricing politics.

We need to find a good laminat source as this is just a much higher quality at the end.
Even if you paint MDF you would have to primer it first to keep the wood from sucking the paint in and show its texture.

Also, on laminate you are able use water to apply the artwork-foil, that avoids air bubbles and helps to move the foil in position.

We want to offer a perfect product.

glstar:

What exactly do you mean by "a full cabinet", a ready to run with PCB or PC installed?

I am very very busy with the Tempest CAD-file, but if you can get measurements and detail pictures of the cabinets you want I will start it contemporaneous and can show you first results in some days.

As for the renderings of the Karate Champ:

A member sent me an email if that are real pictures as it only looks like renderings.
They ARE renderings indeed, but this is not that usual google sketch up- stuff.

We construct the cabinets in CATIA, this is parametric CAD-software starting at 30 000€
The 3D-model is assembled by the individual parts and that CATIA-files rights interact with the CNC-Devices we use.

So if the 3D-model works, it works in reality, the CNC-device gives the parts out like a puzzle that fits together with 100% accuracy.
This is not what one could produce at home with jig saw, the cuts of our products are laser straight, the curves perfect and the joints are so exact that it looks like its a cast part.

I hope that gave some insight, but feel free to go for further questions, we try to answer as soon as possible.

:)
For full cab i mean a complete cab minus the pcb/pc, monitor and cables....
I don't know the measurments of the track and field cab, but the upright could be perfectly fine to me just like this one:
https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=885.0

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX

For full cab i mean a complete cab minus the pcb/pc, monitor and cables....
I don't know the measurments of the track and field cab, but the upright could be perfectly fine to me just like this one:
https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=885.0

this is exactely what i am also looking for. :)
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile

I read some of Scr33n´s threads, he is a very good man.
What I always wonder, he asks for measurements, but I never saw replies to that questions, do the members send him the measurements per PM???

We will look if one of the collectors we know got a Track n´Field. But getting Scr33n´s measurements would accelerate the project.

I am also looking for a Joust cocktail, that is one awesome cabinet I have to build and to own.

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
looks cool, any idea of the prices and the delays ?

Not yet, you guys are the first persons that hear about that project.
So dont consieder us being already sovereign when it comes to calculation and prices, but we are in the constructing and wood-working.

I have a long meeting on the 23´of december, I think after that I will know much more, but we try to be fair on prices.

As soon as I know prices you can order a Karate Champ.
Tempest will also be finished in the next week and ready to order soon than.

Next project seems to be the Track and Field as (of course) we prefer the suggested cabinets.

nilfisk

• View Profile
Being from Austria, I consider myself a future customer, if things work out. Also, count me in on Hyper Sports ;).

As a sidenote, I've got a basement full of cabs for measurements (no Joust or Hypersports, but still ...)

Martin
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:44:12 PM by nilfisk »

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
correct me if i am wrong but a hell of a lot of the cab data is on the net anyway. jakobut for example. this shoud do the job for most of the cabs.

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Being from Austria, I consider myself a future customer, if things work out. Also, count me in on Hyper Sports ;).

As a sidenote, I've got a basement full of cabs for measurements (no Joust or Hypersports, but still ...)

Martin

Martin, for guys that let us measure there cabinets we offer HUUUUUUUUUUUGE discounts and other supports like getting CNC´ed repair woodparts as well as mechanic work for free.

I am, for instance work on a bearing-play and steering-travel free mechanism for my SEGA Hang-On as I want my cabinets perfectly in both....conditons and functionallity. The handlebars had dead steering-travel like 2cm on both sides...the entire mechanics is in bad condition anyways. If you have similar problems with one of your cabinets we offer to help you in exchange :)

We have 2 collectors that support us at the moment.

Please, send me a list of what you have, I am sure we can work something out together.

And anybody can join my group on FB named the M.A.M.E.-Project, thats the place where I post everything first.
Its a small group but with very knowledgeable guys.

The Tempest makes very slow progress....to be reeeeeally accurate takes time.

Tyrem: I found something, also Jakobut...but the plans are not complete, they miss many small measurements. Finding them out takes me 12 hours a day at the moment.

But I am grateful for any help or links to measurements.

caincan

• View Profile
a good idea, you could sell a "kit" . all cut wooden parts  in a package to remount.   just missing the bigger heavier ones (screen !!).

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
a good idea, you could sell a "kit" . all cut wooden parts  in a package to remount.   just missing the bigger heavier ones (screen !!).

Sir, we have that in mind too.
I hate when sellers have their own way without to care the customers wishes.

So people that are on budget or live far away so that shipping would be too much we will offer kits.

Since everything is saved in CAD-Files we are able to sell repair-panels as well.

If your cabinet got a water-damage (that's usually on the bottom side) he can order just to sidepanels as a repair-kit....same for every other part of the cabinet.

nilfisk

• View Profile
What I still don't get: how are you going to apply art, if at all? Silksreen, overlay, ..? Or are you just providing raw wooden cabs? Also, in some cases I assume getting the parts needed on top of the cab itself (control panels, coindoors, ...) will be hard. Are you thinking about sourcing repros here as well?

Cheers,
Martin