Author Topic: Long way Journey  (Read 34099 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Long way Journey
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2014, 06:29:32 PM »
Holy Fuck.

I'm sure none of those machines left the factory like that !

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

It is amaaaaaaaazing brother John !

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2014, 07:01:22 PM »
yeah... great job. i love the way john freaks me out all the time. for example when he ruined both kicklates, the colour frontside while getting the coindoor in it's place and when he dropped the screws 10 times in a row. :D not to mention the brown colour incident. :D

john, this was entertaining and after spending the past few month with you online with this and other projects i really enjoyed the final minutes of this vid. felt somehow... like the last episode of your most loved tv show.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »
Wow,  this turned out really great.  I didn't watch the videos yet,  but I sure will.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2014, 07:52:11 PM »
Dunno John.....maybe you should stir better next time.....

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2014, 07:54:37 PM »

lololol... i love you, guys. i really really love you! :D
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

GoRetro74

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2014, 07:59:47 PM »
   Amazing! work John! It's so immaculate, sort of gives me the child feeling of shying away if your hands aren't clean as a surgeons. I personally liked your video about scoring higher on DK.

johnsarcade

• Mushroom Kingdom, USA
    • View Profile
    • John's Arcade
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »

This is brown paint! LOL! :)

Thanks, guys!!!!!!

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2014, 08:10:10 AM »
Yes, a real beauty...well done! :)

Though I want my Journey to stay as original as possible (+ it wasn't that butchered at all) I'm really amazed by all the work you have put into that cab....this must be true love :)

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »
The result is very amazing  :spaceace: :spaceace:

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2014, 03:26:22 AM »
I've seen the last video... what a crazy job! sanding...painting...sanding... water sanding... what a crazy job you've done!  :shock:
Congrats... the cabinet looks fantastic!!!  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

True that....this is the correct procedure, that is the way to get laser-straight and even surfaces.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 03:29:02 AM by synonym9 »
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2015, 11:51:35 PM »
I found a nice little thing for Luigi's Journey:

It has all the correct connections (power 6V, correct connector with the plus on the outside and an ear/line-out jack. So it should be Plug & Play :)

It's also smaller than the original Emerson recorder so it should within the bracket. There's also a tone control which is nice.

Nice detail: It is a Magnavox and not a Philips f.i. so this is a little bit more "U.S." and fitting to the game :)
It was made in Japan however and has an all metal chassis so it's not one of those flimsy plastic one's of later years and it feels rather heavy for it's very compact size.

I got out a Q-tip and my trusted bottle of pure alcohol and cleaned the heads and capstan (anyone remember what a capstan is ;) ).

Played an ancient tape I found somewhere and it sounded OK but there was some high pitched noise, like I heard the electric motor interfering.

So I got out the demagnetizing wand that I bought for my monitor degaussing and fired it on the little player.

This did the trick ! It now sounds awesome.

Well.....

As awesome as a mono (voice) casseterecorder of this kind will get. Don't expect MP3 hi-fi quality sound from it.

Now all you need is an endless tape and one of Etienne's repro labels Thorsten !  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:55:58 PM by Level42 »

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2015, 06:06:10 PM »
I can't thank you enuoigh for getting this for me!! :)

I have watched ebay items that fitted the requirements and all went for silly money.

I will record a longer endless tape with other songs but Separate ways. I still have the original tape but I don't want to use it inside the cab.

THANKS André!! You rock!  :spaceace:

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2015, 08:53:34 AM »
I received the player on Friday...together with two of my beloved dutch cookies (I have to buy a box full of them in September!!!)

This is an awesome device and I hope I can install it this evening and test it inside the Journey :)

THANKS A LOT again for getting this for me, André!!  :spaceace:

I will test it with the original tape but I'm afraid this is for the showcase only due to it's age.
Anybody know a source for endless tapes? I'd like to make one with more Journey songs. All I found for now is a 6 minute tape....this would be ok for two songs.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »
Glad it arrived aafely. Sorry I couldnt pack more than two......Well actually I ate all the others....HAHAHA, no those days are gone for good  ;D ;D

You do know where we buy them right ? At Lidl  ;D ;D but they are produced in The Netherlands so I guess they didn't make it to the German Lidls....yet (start demanding them you never know ;);))

I have heard rumors we might meet sometime this summer and I have had some other requests for Dutch food like raw herrings (yum yum !) and proper Gouda cheese (although honestly, Goida is considered a "beginners cheese over here" )

Oh uhmmm what was the topic, ah yeah the tape drive LOL

Hope it will work out ! Endless tapes ? Maybe Robin has some....?

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2015, 08:27:56 AM »
Allright.....I removed the original player and 'installed' the Magnavox.....erm...it's really small, needs some stuff around it to fill the gaps  ;D
But I can still press the PLAY button in case it isn't ;)

[oh great, I forgot to upload the pics from my cell  ::) ]

It works perfectly!!! Will upload a short video as well.

The only problem is: there's an annoying hum while the music's playing. I thought it is because of the modification that Klaus-Peter did. He removed the mono plug and made a stereo for the mp3 player. But when there's no tape in the player and it starts playing, there's only a little humming and it should be loud if the plug is the problem, right?  ???

edit: just found out that silly me covered the microphone while recording