Author Topic: [From the Love boat/container] : Kung Fu Master! Da Road Trip...  (Read 62917 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [From the Love boat/container] : Kung Fu Master! Da Road Trip...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 07:46:43 PM »
what's the condition of the control panel? hard to tell and no close-up pictures!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 08:37:01 PM »
if it does not work, you can always go for a (temporary) mame solution like you did on other cabinets.

as for the monitor, i guess you got still some tv's on stock ?  ;D

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »
I have a Kungfu Master bootleg board, it's not tested yet but it can be a plan B for you if it works and yours doesn't

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 11:39:40 PM »
It seems like the cab was stored in a real wet place, it is not a suprise, that the wooden parts started to peel. :-\
Nevertheless, it's a great game in the best hands, I'm sure it will be restored to it's former glory. :D

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 06:14:24 PM »
Sorry Bruno to hijack this thread but you know that in this country there can be only one:

Just checked mine this afternoon and as promised it works 100%.

Just need to order sidearts and a cpo and I'm done  ;)

Guys, it's a great day because I've played so much of that game BIT (and was still coming back to it on a regular basis in Mame)...
True story: As a kid, I think I spent a whole summer vacations shouting "WOUDA!" (like the main character when he jump/kicks) while kicking the waves or playing tennis at the beach  ;D ;D
I remember clearly that it didn't impress any girl...

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
fabulous chris! so happy for you that it is working and you have one of your dream cabs at home!

True story: As a kid, I think I spent a whole summer vacations shouting "WOUDA!" (like the main character when he jump/kicks) while kicking the waves or playing tennis at the beach  ;D ;D
I remember clearly that it didn't impress any girl...

why not try it again today? :P
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
Sorry Bruno to hijack this thread but you know that in this country there can be only one:

Mhhh, you force me to use my secret weapons : realtime + fast forward mode = ON ::) 8)

Ready for the operation?

All these water damages because of the missing legs, most probably! Let's fix that once for all!  :arrow:

Bondo for strong reparation!

Remember the 'strap accident' on this edge? Well, the broken part 'fits' not too bad actually, so I'm gonna fix it back with strong wood glue  :arrow:

10 print "BONDO"
20 print "SANDPAPER"
30 goto 10

Ready for the paint...

First layer...

Not too bad...

Really close to the original, just not so shiny, but I'm already very happy after only one layer  :)  :arrow:

Next layer... beware, fresh paint! ...

...well, yeah... cannot resist... I had to remove paint from a brush, so why not 'mark' this baby?  ;D

- Kung Fu Master?
- Yes my master
- Rise!

:arrow:

Sure, the cosmetic work is not finished yet, still some touch up on the side, but definitively done with bondo!

Let's check the board, supposed to be "working"... remember the seller description : "no monitor but play blind::)

What is the purpose of this small additional connector?  :arrow:

The board itself seems to be an original one... IREM powered!  8)  :arrow:

Ok, let's prepare my usual RGB+Sync+Ground to SCART connector..fix it to this PCB...and power on all that stuff made in USA!

Nothing on the screen... no sound ... nothing! Let's remove that additional board with damaged components on it  :arrow:

Hell yeah!!!!  :-* :-* :-*  :arrow:

Played a couple of games... panel working fine, sounds, gfx, credits.. everything working fine!  :-*

Here's the situation from this last week end  ;D  :arrow:

Ok ChrisChris, now who is the master here? ::) ::) ::)   ;D ;D ;D

Still have to order the set of side art, but I don't need the control panel over... its condition is good enough for me!
Where do you plan to order the stuff by the way?

Oh...and let me finish today by this....

WOUAADDDAAA!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 10:06:41 PM »

That's one of those filter boards. These were usually on games (like SW etc) for "FCC regulation" reasons so they don't create any "interference". However, in every day use, they simply form an extra resistance for your powers and signals going to and from the board. I always advice to get rid of them.

Basically there is just a small filter capacitor on every line going into and out of the board.

HOWEVER, I have NEVER seen what has happened to those capacitors !!! Looks like they developed big "bulbs" of air ?!?!?
Totally weird ! Usually these ceramic kind of caps last like forever.....
I wonder what could have caused this ?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 10:19:35 PM »
Indeed very weird  :?

never saw that eather...

Anyway, great that the board works !
Looks like you have the same issue here as for the assault, 180 degrees rotated screen  :D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »

That's one of those filter boards. These were usually on games (like SW etc) for "FCC regulation" reasons so they don't create any "interference". However, in every day use, they simply form an extra resistance for your powers and signals going to and from the board. I always advice to get rid of them.

Basically there is just a small filter capacitor on every line going into and out of the board.

Thanks for the explanation AndrĂ©.  :)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 10:23:54 PM »
Looks like you have the same issue here as for the assault, 180 degrees rotated screen  :D

Yes, It's my 'curse'!  ;)

I don't know if I'll use that TV monitor, I may use an arcade monitor already 'framed' for that KFM, just have to check if it works first.

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Wadaaaaa!
Great job, you're working fast little dragon  ;) ;)
Actually I think you deserve the black belt more than I do because I had... nothing to do to fix that game except checking the voltages before powering it up.  ::)

The only source I could find so far for sidearts and cpo is at "game on grafix":
side-art
cpo
I've never ordered there, wanna group buy?

Just for the record, and not in a hijack mode at all, here's a picture of my PCB (I removed the protective metal cage for the picture of course):

I don't have that filter you have. I thought it was just used in older games (I have one on my Super Bug for instance and had to ask Speleo_de what was the use of that thing).

nilfisk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 06:36:04 AM »
I do have an original Kung Fu Master boardset that I ripped from my Galaxian cab when I got it. It's been in working order when put in storage, but I'd happily test it again if anyone is interested in it. It's just collecting dust over here.

Martin

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 07:36:47 AM »
I do have an original Kung Fu Master boardset that I ripped from my Galaxian cab when I got it. It's been in working order when put in storage, but I'd happily test it again if anyone is interested in it. It's just collecting dust over here.

Martin

Hell yeah!  :spaceace:

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 09:53:46 AM »

10 print "BONDO"
20 print "SANDPAPER"
30 goto 10

Lol, nice resto! :D