Author Topic: :: POPEYE - Still need to save Olivia / The Renovation, full of Spinach! ::  (Read 36122 times)

xentraz

• View Profile
There is nailpolish remover without the acetone but i don't know of it's any different of the sticker remover product.

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
Have you tried a hair dryer? It heats the glue so the sticker should come off more easily...
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
Have you tried a hair dryer? It heats the glue so the sticker should come off more easily...

Don't use a hair dryer. If your bezel is plastic it will easily boggle and when it is glas the paint on the backside will develop microfractures which will only be visible in a few years or blisters when the heat gets to much.....

Believe me, one moment you will be happy, blowing your dryer, the next instant bam... Blisters :( i've seen it first hand :'(

As far as I can see, it is paint masking tape, this is a water based glue... Just stick some wet/moisted toilet paper on top of it, wait a while and rub it off with your fingers, in case the bezel is plastic. With glass you could use a razor blade.

Altough it is no fun... Your nails and fingers are the best tools to remove stickers like this without scratching plastic bezels.   :lol:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
...tried other cleaning products... without any success!

I'm finally going back to the only thing that is doing something... my all-time/famous sticker remover  :arrow:

...and a free tool, the nail of my thumb!  :arrow:

When you apply this product on a sticker, this one absorb the liquid, and the magic happens...
The problem in my case is : the sticker applied on the bezel is an adhesive tape, applied 25 years ago on this bezel! ...and they left the cabinet/bezel is the middle of the Sahara desert these last 20 years at least! The sun has dried the tape to the bones! There nothing, no air, not even an electron, between the tape and the bezel!
So, no product at all can penetrate the tape! If my 'sticker remover' product does a ultra mini percent of the job, it's only because the product attacks the tape on its tiny side... so I have to remove pixel per pixel the tape... oh, here's the 'pixels' removed so far after a 45 minutes session!  :arrow:

I don't publish a picture of my thumb... too ugly to see something so dirty!  :?
Anyway, I think an other 30 minutes session should be enough to finish that painful/crazy job!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:00:17 PM by DarthNuno »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
yeah, paper painters tape is a PITA !

I hate that tape when its on something longer than a week...

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
We are so proud, keep up the good work. :lol:

Vond

• View Profile

Sorry, could not resist  ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
 ;D !

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Got you, Brutus!  :D

:twisted:

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
 :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
...and finally back on that one...again! Sure that popeye looks great from the front, but once removed from the cabinets row, see the right side art  :oops:  :arrow:

...and the left one  :arrow:

OK, appart a good cleaning the left side art is pretty ok, with only a very small part of the sticker missing (bottom/right corner). This doesn't justify to apply a new sticker. Just a good cleaning and voila :

The right sticker is too damaged, so I ordered a repro :

Damn, I didn't paid attention when ordered it : it's not trimmed?!  :oops:

Let's do my best...

Now applied!  :arrow:

Not too bad!  8)
Now the last thing that could be done would be small touch up onto the cabinet itself, where the laminate/blue paint is gone...

So here it is, back again in the row... well, the sides are hidden but I know the cabinet looks great now!  ;D

:spaceace:

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: :: POPEYE - Still need to save Olivia / The Renovation, full of Spinach! ::
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 10:22:30 AM »
Great work, Bruno...awesome!  :spaceace:

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: :: POPEYE - Still need to save Olivia / The Renovation, full of Spinach! ::
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 08:08:15 PM »