Author Topic: My grail....  (Read 36840 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: My grail....
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2015, 05:35:09 PM »
Wasn't there a guy in the UK who got all (or a lot) of the documents from the Atari UK factory ?

I'd love to know it ALL !!!!

I did find an interview with the former manager of the plant somewhere and this single picture:

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2015, 05:37:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum
Would love to see some pictures please
And my offer still stands
The owners manual is free if you want to pay postage

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2015, 05:46:10 PM »
Did you scan it ?

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2015, 05:55:29 PM »

vr6an

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2015, 06:21:42 PM »
I just talked to my friend who sold me Popeye and he think it was imported to Sweden by Bally Scandinavia. I will investigate further into it and he will help me. More questions thats popup in my head :) I wonder if they just built some prototypes. Was there a dispute with Nintendo before it came to production or no market in Europe. Maybe the exhibition in London 1982 didnĀ“t go so well. Maybe i can mail Atari headquarter and demand  them to let me know :) Why did other games like millipede, Food Fight, Time Pilot and many other irish built game survived to present day.

Chuckie egg: Sounds interested, thanks.

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2015, 09:08:27 PM »
If  Bally Scandinavia imported it it would have come from Atari Ireland.

People remember playing this version so I just think it has a very low production run of maybe 100-200 units. Other Irish games are rare including Food Fight - only 3 or 4 are known. Others like Gravitar or Black Widow only one is currently known to exist.

The silver foil sticker will confirm it was made in Tipperary Ireland.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2015, 12:40:16 AM »
Did you scan it ?

No I haven't

would be awesome if you could before sending it to vr6an....

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2015, 05:37:10 PM »
Wasn't there a guy in the UK who got all (or a lot) of the documents from the Atari UK factory ?

I'd love to know it ALL !!!!

I did find an interview with the former manager of the plant somewhere and this single picture:

That was a UK guy called XYman. He emptied the entire Atari Ireland factory when they closed. He got CAT boxes, prototype machines, documents upon documents, manuals, master rom files, EVERYTHING.

Andy Welburn managed to photocopy a few of the documents before all of it was taken away. I have no idea where it all is now. I heard the guy moved to the US but he's never made it available.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
Why do people sit on that stuff....I just dont understand....

:(

Al Alcorn says some true things about stuff like this....

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-02-11-everybody-thinks-theyre-a-historian-alcorn

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2015, 07:11:37 PM »
Did you scan it ?

No I haven't

would be awesome if you could before sending it to vr6an....

What's the procedure?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2015, 07:18:51 PM »
I dont think there's an "official" procedure but in rare cases I found a manual that wasnt in the Arcade Archive yet I scanned it and mailed it to them, recently the Intervideo VP monitor manual.

http://arcarc.xmission.com

I get so many info from them that others have shared before that its nice to be able to do something in return, as little as it may seem to be, you never know who you will help and.....it will be saved for the future :)

If you don't want to share it like that I would love a copy of the scan and I can promiss you it won't leave my computer.

Ianski

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2015, 07:41:08 PM »
Hi vr6an, thanks for the info about the Popeye it really would be great to see some more pictures of it especially with your other games.
It's amazing that these cabs got all the way to Scandinavia, and even better that you have a nice collection of Irish built ones!
Even if the artwork was available I doubt many people would reproduce it unless the cabinet was built from scratch.

I've studied the artwork and think its possible to reassemble it from the upright & cocktail images available, but it wouldn't be exact of course,
but I might have a go as I quite enjoy working with Photoshop, purely out of interest rather than trying to recreate the machine.

I also have a Millipede which was is a bad way, painted back and considered whether it would be possible to turn it into a Popeye,
but after I uncovered the Millipede side art I couldn't bring myself to change it from what it originally was.

If you do find any more details it would be great to hear about them.
Enjoy the game :)

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »
I will find a bladdy Atari Popeye one day, last Irish grail to find  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2015, 08:17:32 AM »
I dont think there's an "official" procedure but in rare cases I found a manual that wasnt in the Arcade Archive yet I scanned it and mailed it to them, recently the Intervideo VP monitor manual.

http://arcarc.xmission.com

I get so many info from them that others have shared before that its nice to be able to do something in return, as little as it may seem to be, you never know who you will help and.....it will be saved for the future :)

If you don't want to share it like that I would love a copy of the scan and I can promiss you it won't leave my computer.

Ok thanks
I will try and do that next week

lutijn

• View Profile
    • Horeca Ginsterveld
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2016, 04:50:51 PM »
i have parts of this machine in the attic wooow just found it , it was overpainted in black.

its the side part panels with artwork, the above panel with glass window art, the glas frontplate, and the button joystick part and the orginal game instructions from inside the cabinet.

i cant restore it myself, anyone interested in these ?

you can email me @ lutijn@gmail.com i will send pictures.

i'm from the netherlands, regards   Lutijn Groeneveldt