Author Topic: My grail....  (Read 36830 times)

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
Re: My grail....
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2014, 07:18:52 AM »
I got it at the RGP  party Saturday night from a friend of alpha 1s
I don't think he looked inside
He gave me a space firebird and a few original flyers too.
I am happy to pass this on to anyone that has this game for free
In the mean time I will try and get this scanned

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2014, 11:22:05 AM »
Brilliant, thanks !

Ianski

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2014, 10:06:51 PM »
That's awesome Alex what great gifts, but the arcade probably wouldn't of existed if you hadn't built it  ;D
I might even let you borrow my Atari Popeye for a while if I owned one. (no really, that would be very generous)

Level42, I don't suppose your friend would consider the artwork being scanned?
It would be incredible if if could be reproduced, but I can understand why they might not want to do this,
but it would be a good idea if this particularly rare artwork was preserved for historical purposes.

Now, has anyone got any suitable old Atari Euro shells that they want to get rid of so I can try to recreate the cab of my dreams?  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »
please school me: why doesn't the owner of the cab want to share any pics?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2014, 10:47:12 PM »
please school me: why doesn't the owner of the cab want to share any pics?

who ownes one? did i miss something?
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2014, 04:42:55 PM »
https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=4308.msg73080#msg73080

thank you, mate. if i would own the cab.. i would call a pro-photographer to shoot some damn fine pictures. :D
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

vr6an

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2015, 11:46:43 PM »
Hi my name is Roger and i am the proud owner to the irish build Popeye. I know this is a rare piece :) I can tell you the story how i get on hold of it. I had collecting games for a while when i ask my friend "exhibitor" if he didn´t know of any Popeye sitting in storage, a couple of month later when i called him, he told me that he hade found a man that was sitting on a Popeye stored in a shed. We made a deal and i thought i bought a Nintendo Popeye :) I imagined it beside my DKJR and red DK :) I was suprised (little disappointed) the day i went to pick it up in september 2013. But after i searched the internet i realized this was an odd piece.I can tell you what´s inside, wells-gardner G07, orginal Nintendo Popeye pcb and as you already figured out an Atari ARII board/ Atari powersupply.In my collection i also have Millipede, Food Fight (same Irish cabinet) I have 40+ dedicated games. I´m not interested to scan the artwork as some of you wanted, i don´t want replicas to popup everyware ;). But i´m interested if someone has more information of this game, how many Atari Tippary factory produced. I seen a list of games produced at the factory but no information regarding Popeye. Where did they go ? I can´t imagine this is the last irish Popeye who has survived.

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Please post pictures of your gameroom - it sounds pretty cool with the Food Fight also. I also have an Irish Food Fight. In fact currently I have every Atari Ireland game they ever made apart from Popeye  :spaceace:

Two converted ones turned up in the UK - in fact Great Yarmouth many years ago. Infact there was also a converted Food Fight with them. They were playing JAMMA games still in the arcade on Great Yarmouth beach.

It's a very cool game, I am glad one is found. I don't suppose you want to phone your friend and ask him to find another one for me do you? ;-)

In regards to scanning the artwork - I think this is a great idea to do - even if you only scan it for yourself, it would be sad if something bad happened to the game and the artwork was lost forever.

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 01:16:48 PM »

In regards to scanning the artwork - I think this is a great idea to do - even if you only scan it for yourself, it would be sad if something bad happened to the game and the artwork was lost forever.

besides that... the machine would stay original. repros stay repros and it would not hurt the value of the machine.

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »

besides that... the machine would stay original. repros stay repros and it would not hurt the value of the machine.

There is that too, repros do not hurt the value of the machine. In fact in some cases it just makes the original more desirable.

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2015, 01:42:15 PM »

There is that too, repros do not hurt the value of the machine. In fact in some cases it just makes the original more desirable.

yupp. i did not even know that there was a popeye like that before i joined dlf.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2015, 02:47:07 PM »
Great that you found your way here, welcome !

What a story ! Love when things like that happen. I'm officially jealous ;)

(And Mr.Alpha1, get in line behind me please, I have ZERO of those cabs ;);).....by the way....you need to line them up for a picture !!!! )

I agree about the artwork scanning. Sharing doubles the fun in this hobby and indeed a repro will _NEVER_ be the same as the original.
But indeed even if you really don't want to share do indeed please scan it for yourself ......you never know what might happen to the machine and being able to fall back on those filles would be great for you.....and for arcade history.

Because IMHO that is what makes this machine so special....a Nintendo game in an Atari cabinet....it's just awesome in every way :)

:spaceace:

vr6an

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2015, 04:13:15 PM »
Thanks for the welcome :) Will try to make a presentation in some other part of this forum regarding my other classic machines. And i´m going to serch the forum after your Irish Food Fight Alpha1 ;) My biggest question is how many did they made ( Irish Popeye) Will try to found that out first :) Looks like nobody on this forum or any other arcade related forum in the World have an answer for that.

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2015, 04:19:40 PM »
I would imagine 100-200, unfortunately only the US produced cabinet numbers are known at the moment.

I have a pic of my Irish Food Fight somewhere, will share.