Author Topic: :: SEGA ASTRO CITY :: Road Trip for a new Asian babe @ home ^_^  (Read 90968 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle

Friday 18th of May 2012... ready for an other road trip...

Enough Dr Pepper Zero?  ;D

Ok, 5:52am, 379mk to go... I call this a 'small' trip! Here we go!

At the border of my village, I recognize that cow... wondering if she can recognize me?  ::)

*AUTOMATIC ADVERTISE FROM MY OFFICIAL SPONSOR*  :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Sorry for the interruption!  :oops:

The advert says : "What's the worse that could happen!". Well, now the worse for me is my navigation car system who leads me in Liege downtown!  :?

Next exit, 18 arcades? Does this mean 18 Wheelers by any chance?  ::)

As I said... Liege downtown! What the hell I'm doing here! :ghost:

At last I can see the 'mother base' of one of the most famous Belgian Beer ... 'les hommes savent pourquoi'  :)  :arrow:

This time, it will happen in the Netherlands...

Ouch, this 'place' is depressing...

...so depressing!  :-X

Road trip is always a good opportunity to eat 'something different'  :P So you may think I'm gonna stop here & now...

...but not this time! Because I need something else I can find here in the Netherlands, 'la fricadelle'!  ;D I use to eat that in Belgium of course, but not inside that 'bread' & that delicious sauce  :P  :arrow:

Let's continue our way into that country... Hey, I didn't know their school bus was similar than the US one? Cool! Forest?

Arriving in the destination town... bikes everywhere!

Everywhere!

Ok, I'm on destination. The seller is waiting for me. Let's open the door please :

The seller manager has a business, specialized in the Japanese cabinets importation. Interesting stuff in his desk/office :

Special item for Barry  8)  :arrow:

Here's the reason why I'm here  8)  :arrow:

a SEGA ASTRO CITY  :-*

Here's the technical data :

Sega Astro City

- Type: Sitdown
    - Japanese Name: ASUTOROSHITI
    - Release: February-1993
    - Dimensions: 750 x 905 x 1445 mm
    - Wiring: JAMMA
    - Monitor: Nanao MS8, 29 in, 15/24 kHz
    - Rotatable: Yes (no rotate mechanism)
    - Weight: 93 kg
    - Power: 140 W

I'm not a crazy fan of 'generic' Japanese cabinet, but I'm admit I really love this model! I love its 'pure' shapes, with gorgeous curves, the possibility to play sitting on a small stool, the giant screen in front of you, who can be rotated, jamma set up, easy access to everything (jamma boards, monitor pot' buttons)...oh, and it's not a generic cabinet, it's a SEGA one! Hell Yeah  :-*
It was love at first sight! I remember I discovered that model during my first meeting with mame-univers (now gamoover) members 7 or 8 years ago, especially Kaneda ...it's your fault man!  ;)
I agree It's not a cabinet that match my dedicated collection, but I always wanted one to play 'more modern' games, like vertical shooters. And I didn't have a generic jamma  cabinet anymore, so it was the one to get now.  8) I was only waiting for one to sell with a nice price and not too far... the wait is over!  ;D

I asked to the seller I wanted the vertical orientation for the monitor! He was setting it that when I came... this is why the cabinet is open on the picture.

The seller has a lot of Japanese cabinets, for example the previous model : the Aero City (released in 1988)  :arrow:

OK, my cabinet is now ready.... loading time :

The sexy curve of her back perfectly fits the trunk  ;D

Let's bring back that Asian girl in Belgium...

...leaving the town ...

It's time to eat... sorry but 'road trip mandatory'  ::) ...Burger King this time!  :)

Did you expect a new package delivery today?  :)

Oh no...back on the depressive & ugly area?  :-\

...it doesn't affect me at all, I'm even quite happy 'coz I'm bringing new stuff at home, HELL YEEAHHH!

It's time to buy a new TOM TOM I guess... back in Liege down town  :ghost:

My navigation car system doesn't like to operate in the Netherlands. Few time I missed exists on highway because of bad/wrong indication! Ok it's maybe because the map has never been updated since many years...but I never had such problems anywhere else!  :-X

An other 'road trip mandatory' picture I guess...

Two km to go... fortunately because I'm almost out of fuel...

And here we are, with a new Asian girl at home  :) Here's for my ALS statistics  :P  :arrow:

2 country - 806 km / 9h58min on the road.

Next pictures : unloading the 'washing machine'.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:51:33 AM by DarthNuno »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: :: SEGA ASTRO CITY :: Road Trip for a new Asian babe @ home ^_^
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:18:36 AM »
Well Bruno, congratulations on this fine catch, With this purchase you have enriched your arcade lifestyle and gaming experience considerably.  :spaceace:

I knew this report had to be coming for a few months now, after seeing this picture back in May:

Thumbs Up!

I like these quotes of you:

"I love its 'pure' shapes, with gorgeous curves"

"...oh, and it's not a generic cabinet, it's a SEGA one! Hell Yeah  :-* "

".... The sexy curve of her back"

The exact reasons why I am so fond of my NAC´s, and because of the gaming experience of course (Japanese SHMUP´s forever!). And it´s the only Asian babe that is allowed in my house by my wife.  :D

Have fun playing this beauty!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:28:22 PM by ckong »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »
Great catch Bruno! What are you playing on it atm?

caincan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:07:57 PM »
one is too shy for ambience  (remember Miami fred gameroom,   he had only one,  that looked weird  because of all dedicated around).  they look much better in pairs  ;).  many examples by arcadotaku forum by example..

if you like shmups..good japanese ones (cave, raizing...)  you're just 5-6 years too late for original jamma...  prices are skyrocketting  ::) :evil:,    ex. Dodonpachi is about 400€ !   (250€ until last year...),  etc etc,  

be prepared to do some  xbox+coinops  or xbox360 hack  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:45:15 PM by caincan »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:09:27 PM »
if you like shmups..good japanese ones (cave, raizing...)  you're just 5-6 years too late for original jamma...  prices are skyrocketting  ::) :evil:,    ex. Dodonpachi is about 400€ !   (250€ until last year...),  etc etc,   

Am I glad that I bought most of my SHMUPS a few years ago!  ;D

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 04:16:09 PM »
Nice catch Bruno! And welcome to the club!
Maybe sell the Galaxian3 now that it's still dismantled and save yourself the hassle of putting it back together,
and fill Lair 3 with Japanese sitdown cabinets! :)
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 04:49:35 PM »
Maybe sell the Galaxian3 now that it's still dismantled and save yourself the hassle of putting it back together,

+100  :spaceace:

The first and only Japanese Arcade in Europe, rows and rows of candy stuff.  :)

caincan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »
you dont see much arcade forums do you ?  :lol:.   Galaxian3 is much more than that luckily !   but yep some rows of japanese cabs would complete..

loads of jap ? such a place exists already in south france.   ~40 cabs and much more crap..

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 06:31:48 PM »
Wow, that looks like a great place, unfortuntalely a bit far from where I live. Belgium is a lot closer.

By the way, Galaxian3 is a heavily overrated game IMHO, gameplay wise.  I must admit, never played it, just saw the youtube movies that we all know and is the only ´experience´ with this game for most of us). The Galaxian theatre is an impressive sight though.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:20:48 PM by ckong »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »
happy that you're happy, bruno, although it's just a piece of plastic :P. looking forward to playing some of those crazy japanese games either at one of you guys' place at some point in the future, hopefully i'm not falling for them .. 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »
Did you slip that Sonic sign under your shirt as you left?   :D

Glad you added one of those unique cabs to your collection!    :spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 08:41:05 PM »
Hah, that bicycle on a roundabout is in Apeldoorn :)

Liège is the most depressive city I have ever seen in my live, at least the parts we saw when we drove through it years and years ago....but that part of Maastricht doesn't look very beautiful either  ;D

It is very strange if a TomTom isn't working well in Holland since TomTom is Dutch :)
However, a lot of roads have been changed (improved) here the last years so indeed time for an update I guess.

I'm happy for you Bruno, as long as you promise to forget silly comments about filling V3 with them instead of putting G3 there.

Oh and, I just HAD. to laugh when I read this:

- Japanese Name: ASUTOROSHITI

indeed......Very well chosen name.... ;D ;D ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 10:18:08 PM »
Unloading the beast...

I got the cabinet without any game. Let's try with one of my jamma board....mhhhh...let's say 'Ms PacMan/Galaga reunion' board :

It OK, except that board doesn't have a X/Y picture mirror mode, but it's just for the test  ;)

Well Bruno, congratulations on this fine catch, With this purchase you have enriched your arcade lifestyle and gaming experience considerably.  :spaceace:

I knew this report had to be coming for a few months now, after seeing this picture back in May:

Thumbs Up!

I like these quotes of you:

"I love its 'pure' shapes, with gorgeous curves"

"...oh, and it's not a generic cabinet, it's a SEGA one! Hell Yeah  :-* "

".... The sexy curve of her back"

The exact reasons why I am so fond of my NAC´s, and because of the gaming experience of course (Japanese SHMUP´s forever!). And it´s the only Asian babe that is allowed in my house by my wife.  :D

Have fun playing this beauty!

Yes, the seller told me about you, when I mentioned DLF/ALS website... He knew the website by you  ;)
Thanks for the picture  8)

Great catch Bruno! What are you playing on it atm?

Well, it's currently running a lame 60in1 because I don't have many jamma boards  :oops: ... in addition, most of my boards (Namco) display the picture 'vertically inversed', and no dipswitch/setting to change that. I'm too lazy atm to inverse the Y connector on the monitor chassis (I presume it's the fix, isn't it?)

one is too shy for ambience  (remember Miami fred gameroom,   he had only one,  that looked weird  because of all dedicated around).  they look much better in pairs  ;).  many examples by arcadotaku forum by example..

if you like shmups..good japanese ones (cave, raizing...)  you're just 5-6 years too late for original jamma...  prices are skyrocketting  ::) :evil:,    ex. Dodonpachi is about 400€ !   (250€ until last year...),  etc etc,   
be prepared to do some  xbox+coinops  or xbox360 hack  ;)

I guess one will be enough. But I agree two will be perfect to cover both setup (horizontal and 'tate' mode).
I've no experience in 'modern' vertical shooters, except Ikaruga and Under Defeat on Dreamcast. Any suggestion about a nice one to try/play?

LOL! That will never happen ... I mean I don't need an army of Japanese cabinets!  ;D

happy that you're happy, bruno, although it's just a piece of plastic :P. looking forward to playing some of those crazy japanese games either at one of you guys' place at some point in the future, hopefully i'm not falling for them .. 8)

What I like the most with such cabinets is : At least, for one time, I don't have to thing about repro/restoring stuff/artwork to find/board to fix... it's just a tool for playing games in very good condition... very solid & reliable!  It does no harm for once...  ::) :P And the high of the panel is perfect for my daughter  ;D

Did you slip that Sonic sign under your shirt as you left?   :D

Next time I'll try it!  :P ;)

It is very strange if a TomTom isn't working well in Holland since TomTom is Dutch :)
However, a lot of roads have been changed (improved) here the last years so indeed time for an update I guess.

I have to admit the map on it is maybe 7 years old... I guess it's the main reason!  :oops:

Wil2000

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »
I know that hall and that seller, does your cab comes from Rklok's warehouse?
Damn, that guy has crazy nuts items for sale, don't look forward when you buy him a cab if you collect old consoles or japanese stuff!
Moreover, his prices are really corrects, I bought him my Blast City at a really good price!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »
Ronnie is a great guy and a very reliable seller. And the best thing is that he only lives about 40 minutes away from me. ;D  If anyone here ever decided to buy a cab from him, then I gladly offer temporary storage for it util you can collect it (yep, I'll do anything to promote the Candies)