Author Topic: Mario vs Donkey Kong MAME Cabinet (Nintendo Reproduction Cabinet)  (Read 26982 times)

RetroBorg

• View Profile
Re: Mario vs Donkey Kong MAME Cabinet (Nintendo Reproduction Cabinet)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »
Great project! ...and great choice of color for this project : RED! The sexiest color for a Nintendo cabinet  :-*

Welcome to this board, RetroBorg!  :)

Glad you like the project DarthNuno, your Donkey Kong renovation and scr33n's scratch built build have been inspirational in my build!  ;D

Maybe you can help me out with the paint?

We have Dulux in Australia, is there some sort of code I can give the paint shop to mix up the right shade of red?

RetroBorg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 03:23:23 PM »
Wouldn't these kits be perfect for your Walt Disney project, Jinxz? i guess shipping would probably kill the deal  ;D
...and welcome here by the way, RetroBorg !!!!!

Yeah indeed :) Those kits are great. I mean building a DK cab like an Ikea would safe me hours of time. Although the wood that was CNC'd for me was primed in the factory. That also saves some time ;)

Great project RetroBorg!

Good luck on your Fix it Felix Jr builds, I was thinking about doing this project as a Fix it Felix Jr project but ended up going for a Nintendo theme.

RetroBorg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »
Cool project !, and welcome

I would also create multiple CP's

And install ofcourse an emulator to actually play M vs DK

Its a great game, i bought my GBA for that  8)

Hi Etienne, I've enjoyed reading your threads on the forum, love your vectorizing of various artwork, wish I could vector stuff.

I have HyperSpin setup with lot of emulators so I'll have to check out both the MArio vs Donkey Kong games, I've never played them either of them.

Troy who made my cabinet was kind enough to send a blank control panel along with kit so I can always make another control panel if I find issues with my crowded frankenpanel.

RetroBorg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 03:57:06 PM »
Since its a MAME cab I think it is great you went with a non-original, yet tastefully chosen theme. Really like what you did with the artwork.

Thanks, at first I was thinking of going with Donkey Kong but I wanted 2 lots of controls so then I was thinking going with Mario Bros, then when googling artwork on the net I stumbled across Mario vs Donkey Kong.

Nintendo were well known also for their versus cabs and Mario and Donkey Kong are the oldest adversaries off all time in the video world.

I really liked the usage of the two different fonts used in the title and preferred the artwork over the original and also over the more modern 3D artwork.

I'm pretty handy and cutting and pasting in Photoshop and have made quite a few different themes for HyperSpin so I thought I'd give this a go as a theme for the cabinet.

Marquee - I'm really happy with.

Side Art - I like the side art but it kind of looks like Mario is on cloud or something, need to put him on something to make him look like he's on the ground.

Bezel - I need to find another picture of Pauline, the one on the left is too low in resolution, it will look a bit shabby when it larger, also would like include some love hearts like the original Donkey Kong but need to find a love sick Donkey Kong picture to make it work.

Control Panel - I'll probably redo this, the only thing I'm really happy with is the arrows and the Mario and Donkey Kong logos, perhaps I need to make the two different sides of the control panel different colours or something.

Maybe it will be a good idea to make the right joystick the P1 joystick. This way you will have plenty of space when doing single player gaming.

I'm thinking in games where you alternate between players one and two to have both joysticks mapped to player one, then you have a choice of which one you prefer to use.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »
I like the GBA version, the DS versions (march of the mini's and miniland mayhem) i dont really like.

thats because in the GBA version you play as mario, and the DS versions is more like a puzzle and the minis walk like lemmings..

So the GBA version has a much more simular gameplay as the classic DK (and so does the DK for gameboy)

Talking about DK for gameboy, i saw you also posted in this klov thread  ;)

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=207483

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »
Great project! ...and great choice of color for this project : RED! The sexiest color for a Nintendo cabinet  :-*

Glad you like the project DarthNuno, your Donkey Kong renovation and scr33n's scratch built build have been inspirational in my build!  ;D

We have Dulux in Australia, is there some sort of code I can give the paint shop to mix up the right shade of red?

On Byoac forum in the miscellaneous arcade section there should be a post stickied at the top on paint codes, lots of info and links in it, I'll provide a link later when I'm not on my phone if you can't find it, it may be linked to on this site somewhere, seem to remember it being discussed here  :)
just keeping an eye on things

RetroBorg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 05:02:50 AM »
I like the GBA version, the DS versions (march of the mini's and miniland mayhem) i dont really like.

thats because in the GBA version you play as mario, and the DS versions is more like a puzzle and the minis walk like lemmings..

So the GBA version has a much more simular gameplay as the classic DK (and so does the DK for gameboy)

I'll check them all out.

Talking about DK for gameboy, i saw you also posted in this klov thread  ;)

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=207483

You get around, yeah I like that cab too!

RetroBorg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 05:04:13 AM »

On Byoac forum in the miscellaneous arcade section there should be a post stickied at the top on paint codes, lots of info and links in it, I'll provide a link later when I'm not on my phone if you can't find it, it may be linked to on this site somewhere, seem to remember it being discussed here  :)

I'll have a look, thanks polaris.

RetroBorg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 06:57:52 AM »
On goes the first coats of black for the insides, top and back.

bencao74

• View Profile
    • ArcadeForge
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
looks well planned. Ql nick, welcome here. I recommend also to reduce the panel. One Player Layout with just two buttons, max. three would end in much more better game play feeling.

RetroBorg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 04:53:40 AM »
Time to paint the red, I decided to paint it with spray cans as my roller work sucks!

I guess rolling is okay for the primer and the black inside the cabinet but I wanted a much better finish for the red.

I ended up going with Dulux Wildfire Red Quick Dry Spraypak, it has a real glossy finish.

My only problem has been these little flys that keep landing on my panels as I'm spraying, if it wasn't for that I would be 100% happy.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 08:56:02 AM »
Create a mini spraybooth, and spray first some bugkiller inside  ;)

the red looks very nice !

RetroBorg

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 08:32:10 AM »
More red pictures, finally coming up nice and glossy after a lot of work fixing up my stuff ups from taking short cuts.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:12:46 AM by RetroBorg »

RetroBorg

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 05:20:20 AM »
Well painting was a real learning curve and the red probably turned out better that I had hoped for but now that I have some painting experience, I know I can do better next time.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 02:52:30 PM »
Wow that looks perfect ! Can you do mine too ?  :D