Author Topic: Wreck it Ralph cabinets  (Read 55882 times)

jinxz

• View Profile
Wreck it Ralph cabinets
« on: September 18, 2012, 06:19:25 PM »
A while back i posted about the upcoming Disney movie Wreck it Ralph on the Nozomi forum. Being a fan of the movie before it even comes out i started reading about the movie and the way that Disney is promoting it with arcade cabinets. The first time that the movie was promoted was during the E3 in Las Vegas and they had the Fix it Felix arcade cabinet on display.

Everybody notices that it looks a lot like the Donkey Kong cabinets and after some research it came to light that Disney actually purchased some DK cabs from KLOV members and turned them into those Fix it Felix cabs.
So while I'm dying to own a DK cab i couldn't stand the fact that it was reduced to a mere ingredient of the FiF cabs. And i don't blame Disney because they simply needed donor cabs for the promotion of the movie and they also used other donor cabs eventually. But the whole thing triggered my thoughts of building the cabs for Disney from the ground up. So no donor cabs needed and all DK cabs can sleep peacefully.

The day before Eurocade i wrote Disney an email with my offer to build them these cabinets in the same style as the E3 show and give them the option of having the trailer on an LCD running in a loop or just the plain cabinet like on the E3.
It took a while and after a bunch of emails with a couple of contacts within Disney they asked me to give them a price. Sending out a simple email with a price is easy but i'd rather present the thoughts, ideas and price in person.
So last Thursday morning I got invited to the office of Disney near Amsterdam. Here is a picture that i took:

I drove up to the huge office building and introduced myself at the front desk. The lady told me that i had to use the elevator to go to the 19th floor. So i stepped into elevator with some other Disney employees and after they pressed 3 and 4 I went ahead and pressed 19. People looked at me and one guy actually said "ooooooh 19... your coming for an audience". Apparently it's the top floor for management only ;)
So we spoke about the movie and i pitched the thought of building them the cabinets from scratch and presented the idea to them.

***EDIT*** This part of the story is history for the ones that read it and a guess for the ones who didn't ;) ***EDIT***
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:19:09 PM by jinxz »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Working for Disney on Wreck it Ralph cabinets!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »
Yeah, I knew it!!  :spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 06:24:31 PM »
Nice ! Shame they won't be playable though...they couldn't have find any Nintendo cabs for sale here anyway ;);)

jinxz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:45:07 PM »
Nice ! Shame they won't be playable though...they couldn't have find any Nintendo cabs for sale here anyway ;);)

True, i'd love to make them playable.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:30:28 PM by jinxz »

Vnera

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
Do you know what they are doing whit them after the promotion?

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 07:09:12 PM »
nice!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 07:24:26 PM »
Do you already have the artwork ?

jinxz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 07:38:23 PM »
Do you know what they are doing whit them after the promotion?
Not yet allthough i heard that they have plans for them. As soon as i know i'll post it here.

@ Etienne Yup, i've got the artwork.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:30:54 PM by jinxz »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »
Do you have it in vectors? or raster ?

jinxz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 09:39:38 PM »
Do you have it in vectors? or raster ?
All Vector but I think the window bezel is in raster if i'm correct.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 10:07:51 PM »
Good to know, the files i got from RidicRick are EPS and PSD, and when i zoom deep, its rasters..

Anyway, not planning anything to build myself, but i like to have the graphics incase i get the urge for a new project..

perhaps a scale FIFjr  ::)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 10:29:01 PM »
fabulous story - and very rewarding that you pulled this off. nicely done, looking forward to the built
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

jinxz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 12:53:30 AM »
Good to know, the files i got from RidicRick are EPS and PSD, and when i zoom deep, its rasters..

Anyway, not planning anything to build myself, but i like to have the graphics incase i get the urge for a new project..

perhaps a scale FIFjr  ::)
Oh lol i didn't even check them in Illustrator yet. I checked them in photoshop just to have a quick look. It is obvious that he used a program like vector magic to vectorize but nevertheless it looks decent.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:31:22 PM by jinxz »

Gerry

• View Profile
    • The Thalion Source
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 07:53:28 AM »
fabulous story - and very rewarding that you pulled this off. nicely done, looking forward to the built

I second that! I've never imagined that a company like Disney would get involved in a deal with an individual. I wish you all the best and sucess with the tasks ahead.

jinxz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 07:42:01 PM »

I second that! I've never imagined that a company like Disney would get involved in a deal with an individual. I wish you all the best and sucess with the tasks ahead.

:)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:51:51 AM by jinxz »