Author Topic: High Score contest at Eurocade '12 ?  (Read 15359 times)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
High Score contest at Eurocade '12 ?
« on: April 25, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »
Following that topic : Has anyone here ever been "King Of Kong" good at any arcade game?

I think I'm good in Phoenix and Amidar, some mini competitions would be great on a few cabs at Eurocade. :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:52:10 AM by DarthNuno »

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
High Score contest at Eurocade \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »
I think I'm good in Phoenix and Amidar, some mini competitions would be great on a few cabs at Eurocade. :D

I had the same thought - like the one on the SlamIII

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:04:12 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the idea to have competitions at Eurocade to be honest.

The effect it had at SCS was that a number of cabs were unplayable for a long time for the saturday for those who didn't join the competition. apart from that it takes a LOT of time to manage th competition with at least one person keeping the scores on a computer and another checking the scores etc.

The competition allowed only one go per game.

I got to play the competition cabs after the competition was closed but had I been there only for the Saturday daytime I would definitly been irritated by the fact that I couldn't play them.

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
I also think that would be fun, maybe we can do something smaller and less official...let's discuss it at the upcoming meeting.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:48:45 PM by gyruss »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »
We can make the competition in a very simple way. :D
We choose some games that have high score list indicated and you can enter your name when the game ends.
All of us could have a high score name, for example the 3 first words of our nickname on forums or anything we like (Gyr, Dré, Bel, Ull, Eti, Nun, etc.) and at the end of the day we can simply check the high score list on the selected machines before the dinner break.
What do you think?

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »
hahaha, i was thinking the same, a game with a high score kit would be even better..

And maybe we can give the top 3 players a cool price, like a pcb or marque...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:14:05 PM by gyruss »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:18 PM »
But, but....that would mean erasing my beloved hi scores ;);)

Seriously: that's a better idea IMHO.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 11:43:16 PM »
Did we derail this thread ? I guess we did. But one rule: the owner of the game or anyone who has the same machine cannot compete ;)

Tup

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »
Did we derail this thread ? I guess we did. But one rule: the owner of the game or anyone who has the same machine cannot compete ;)
Aaaaaarghh!  :'( :'( :'(
But you're right, you're right. It wouldn't be any fun. But it will be a lot of fun for me to see if anyone can beat the highscore that is curently on it.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: High Score contest at Eurocade '12 ?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:42:42 PM »
Here's something that works very well for a such contest  :arrow:

You put on individual paper the name of all the games  in one hat and you put the names of all the contestants on an other one.
An innocent hand pick up randomly a paper in the first hat in order to select a game, then 2 papers in the contestants ...and you have the first duel.
Repeat the operation for all the games/contestant and you got the first round. In that way only two persons will need to access one cabinet for their training session for let say 20 minutes (if needed of course).
All the winner names from this 'first duels' session go back into the hat, and the random pick up can continue...

I've done this in the past during an arcade meeting, and it was very fun...  and for information, I was eliminated in the first round following a dual against a girl on ... Soul Calibur!  :oops:

It's very fun because you don't know what will be the game you'll have to play, and so you must train yourself on a game you didn't played so far... Pressure Pressure!  ;D

Imagine Superully playing on a pinball machine, or André on Dragon's Lair... Damn! I want to see that  ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:45:45 PM by DarthNuno »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
Sounds great to me. ;)

Bomjac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »
To be honest I dont think it is a good idea. 

It is a fun meet and whilst a competetive edge is good to have, as has been stated it ties machines up for way too much time than most people would be comfortable with.  Much better to chill out, play some games and enjoy the vibes.

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 08:09:50 AM »
I am always a fan of high score contests and I think it's essential, that you play the machines that you are particularly good on. I mean that's like back in the days when you went to the arcade to show off your skills. It would be no high score contest in my sense if you "have" to play on some random machine.

I don't think it will occupy the machines either. Sure, when some pro takes a run it might take a while but (at least for me) it's also very exciting to see someone tearing the records stored on the machine apart. Remember Arts run on the Galaxian last year? There were always people around him, taking photos and stuff. It's fun and it's authentic because that's exactly the way we did it in the 80s. That's what the games were made for :)

But I agree with Andrè that it could be a bit of too much hassle to organize such a contest. Let's just play and see who is best at the end on the games. Everyone will play his favorites anyway so no need for an organized contest anyway.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »
OK we will discuss this on the first meeting. In general I don't want to "reserve" any games for it so a similar "pro" contest like at SCS is not an option. Even Bruno's idea would take about half an hour for each cab as it allows you to practice. At SCS no-one was allowed to practice at all. I got at least 10 times higher scores than that I scored on my first go (which thus was my contest score) on the Mad Planets on the Sunday because I had played it a number of times.

I don't know....I think only a few of us are really competitive about this, most of us are recreational players yet I can understand it can be fun to have a little competition.

I also understand what PRC says: at SCS I was playing a game of Gravtitar and I noticed two guys were watching and going "ooooo" when there were close calls and " aaaaahhh" when I lost a ship. It was great fun and really brought back that old arcade feeling even though I never was a top player. Next game was a two player game with one of those guys and later it happened again with the guy who won the contest later. That was great fun even though I lost both games by great differences. I can't reach any high score in such circumstances. I get nervous from people looking on (even though I enjoy it), I get distracted by people moving behind me etc. I scored my best scores at night alone while Erik's  Gravitar was in the kitchen, my wife and kid in bed, dark and quite room and just me and the machine. And even then I am still average....

Anyway, all opinions will be valued and discussed and we will see what we can do !
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:15:18 AM by Level42 »

DanP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 07:32:21 PM »
I'm usually the same as you Andre, I don't usually do well with an audience and need a few games to warm up, but this time I managed to get some pretty decent scores on my first go, even with someone talking to me all the way through my game of Tron.   We found at SCS that only having one go was a real leveller.   There were a few players there who are outstanding if given a bit of practice on the games.   Without that practice it was much more open, so much so that the top 3 were total unknowns as far as game playing ability goes (myself included)  ;D   

Dan