Author Topic: Has anyone here ever been "King Of Kong" good at any arcade game?  (Read 12242 times)

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
So, there is the question, have you ever been a "champion" at any arcade game.... Put in your initials in any game & they never came down?

Any scores or plays "KOK" worthy?  Could you have been in Chasing Ghosts?  Speak UP!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Me, I've only been an average videogame player.  I've had my good days and bad days.  I've had my initials stay on local store games for a few days.

Nothing special though... but was a BIG accomplishment for me!  ;D

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone here ever been "King Of Kong" good at any arcade game?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »
Interesting question!
Im not good at any game, that said, i can score the same as my friends (so we all suck at it)
Never played at any arcades, because there was no one arround back in the days...

My favorite one atm i Wardner, wich i can complete on 1cc (but my score i 3.5 million less than the TG score)

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:06:58 AM »
Nope not me, I am average at best I guess. But leveling up in Call of Duty Modern Warfare makes me feel good for what it's worth :)
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:38:06 AM »
Not me, but during the first eurocade i have met Aart van vliet, who is the world champion of galaxian:

He is a member here, but not very active PacWhiz
I think he is also pretty good at Mrs Pac..

and then i know that Dazza is the king or Rolling Thunder  :spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »
I am very average at almost all games. I do still have a hi score entry on the Gravitar at Funspot since last summer so I thought I was pretty good but at South Coast Slam two guys totally smoked me on it so there goes my dream ;););)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:23:38 PM »
What? Do games have a possibility to enter a high score? Never seen that!  :) Well, I reckon that I am mr. Average in gaming skills, like most of us.

atarikid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 12:37:44 PM »

I too wasn't a big high scorer but with Gyruss I manage to score almost 400.000 (I really could play that game for more then one hour and one coin).
The problem was that the Gyruss cabinets didn't hold there scores after you unplugged it. Not sure if anyone else got such score. But as far as I know it isn't a bad score. :-)
Coder of EasyMame
- Pinball Star Trek NG
- Mame cabinet

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »
Nice topic idea Barry.

Well I'm considering like a 'middle range' player, back in the Days. I quickly 'understood' the new games, and I was a good player on shoot em up games like Galaxian, Xevious, Galaga / 88, Exerion... but unfortunately not a champ regarding the hi scores I can see now. But at the time, I used to be on the TOP 5 on many games : initial B.B :P
My 'hero' moment was when I played Dragon's Lair without watching the screen... the crowd was amazed to see a young boy doing that on this new game (at the time). Same for Space Ace (my fav' laser disc game).
In opposite, I really suck on driving games (cars and bikes)... except the earliest one (Pole Position)! I'm definitively not a 'driving games' man.

Tup

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:43 PM »
Well, my Donkey Kong Jr has a highscore kit so that one is ready for a little competition. So am I btw  ;) Unlike most of the people here on the board I got into collecting certain cabs (well, I have only one so far  :-[ ) to actually practise so much that one day I might get a Twin Galaxies highscore. I used to be pretty good at Kungfu Master, Pengo and Donkey Kong and DK Jr.
My highscore on DK Jr is still quite a few points shy from a record but the last time I bettered my highscore I got a feeling that with practise I can at least reach the killscreen :)

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »
Great, that sounds like a good first candidate, although i really suck at dkjr..  ;D  ;)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »
I'm pretty good in watching the attract mode  :D

No, I have never been very good in any game. I remember when I bought PHOENIX for my Atari VCS 2600. After some weeks I was able to get a really good highscore....well, I thought so. There was a competition and I have sent my highscore. Some time later I received a letter with 3 stickers inside and an explanation that the actual highscore was about 20 times higher than mine (can't remember exactly) but that my score was good, too. After that I have never tried to compete in videogames  ;)

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »
and then i know that Dazza is the king or Rolling Thunder  :spaceace:

Yup I am indeed the MAME WR of Rolling Thunder :) Ironically I played it the other day and didn't even get past level 3  :lol:

I have always been pretty good at games but I have to love the game to get really good at it. I have the innate ability to replay something over and over again.... if I really love it!

Games I have mastered and could have a good chance at getting the WR (or come close):

Kicker / Shaolins Roads - Gave up at around 4 million (this would be an endurance thing)
Kyukyoko Tiger / Twin Cobra - Gave up on looping
Flying Shark - Gave up after looping 3 times with about 2 million
Track 'n' Field - Could loop around 15 times
Jackal / Top Gunner - Can complete with about 800k (can beat MARP and WR)
Alien Syndrome - Gave up after looping with about 800k
Splatterhouse - Can 1 life 1cc
Black Tiger - Can 1 life 1cc (would never WR as FunSpot has a "dodgy" version)
Biomechanical Toy - Can score around 11.5 million (best MARP is 13ish, WR is awful)
Rygar - Can 1cc (would need some serious work to get into WR scoring range though)
Scramble - Gave up on about 5th loop
Dragon's Lair / Dragon's Lair II / Space Ace - Can 1 life 1cc
Space Harrier - Could 1cc

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 02:52:18 PM »
Holy shit, youre not invited to my next HS Party!! ;)
Seriously, my hat is off!!

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 05:18:30 PM »
Holy shit, youre not invited to my next HS Party!! ;)
Seriously, my hat is off!!

hehehe cheers.

Plenty of games I'm awful at though, like Donkey Kong, Pac-Man most of the earlier stuff I am awful at.

jibmums

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 03:18:22 AM »
Back in '83 I used to drop the occasional quarter into Zaxxon, blow through my three planes 'cuz I didn't quite "get" the 3d controls, and walk away in frustration.  One day I decided to actually learn how to fly correctly, and within a month or so I reached the point where it tells you to "give up" after completing each level.  Soon after, I hit a high of 2,999,950 and was so furious that I came within shooting any-one-more-freakin-thing to crack the 3 mil mark that I never played it again.