Author Topic: A secret UK base in Belgium  (Read 12122 times)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
A secret UK base in Belgium
« on: March 06, 2012, 01:35:15 AM »
I'm about to reveal some classified informations about that mysterious secret UK base hidden in Belgium.
It now belongs to a certain Alpha1 and has been spotted in the woods of "Wallonia" lately.

This very powerful piece of equipment helped me locate the machine in the first place:

Nice belgian slippery road, we all love that don't we? It all adds to the big road trip fun.

A cool Belgian following another cool Belgian, just an ordinary day on the Belgian highways...

At the seller's place I was welcomed by this beauty  :-* :

...and then told to tell you guys that this working Daytona 500 was for sale (PM me if interested):

Here's the secret behind the nice effects:

This mint 2012 calendar is also for sale, unfortunately, it comes with 2 free bingos (PM me too if interested):

...and now a little tour of the seller's place.
He has some kick ass toys in there, it's awesome to see them all in action at the same time:

The older guy of the place (1925), still alive and kicking:

...and finally the reason we're all here  :o

Time to hit the road, check out this french fries temple located oh, so very conveniently right on my road:

After another 1h drive we're back home and we're hiding in the woods, camouflage style!

As you can see the game is in great condition for it's age (1978 as written on the coin mechs);
It plays blind, but I'm sure it's a minor thing like for instance that HV cup not being plugged in the monitor  ::)
The cab really looks dangerous, especially in the wild like that, don't you think?

Anyway all it needs now is for Alpha1 to drop by and press start to LET THE BOMB GO!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:39:50 PM by chrischris »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: A secret UK base in Belgium
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:41:58 AM »
This guy has a great taste, these cabs are simply amazing. :o
Thanks for the report Chris, great reading and nice pics as always. ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:51:55 AM »
Hah !! Very cool. same cabinet, same joystick handles. Someone on KLOV mentioned that the same handles we used for Zaxxon....

It's gonna be a "row" :)

I do hope you didnt try to power it up with the HV cup bungling around somewhere ..... ?

It looks like the same monitor as in the Bomber, not surprisingly...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
Is there a manual for the monitor in there as well ? Everything needs to be scanned of course :)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »
I do hope you didnt try to power it up with the HV cup bungling around somewhere ..... ?

that can give some nice sparks  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSJ8KCgkXQI

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »
Actually the seller did that for me  :)... twice...
Once on the phone to let me hear that the machine was working and once again on location (VERY loud machine btw).
Thanks for the advice, I won't try that again, guess I was "monitor lucky" (this time). 8)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 12:24:50 PM »
cool roadtrip report from a cool belgian indeed! have i told you yet that i love your humour, chris?

congratulations on that catch, mr alpha, looks like you are starting to build a sega oddity row here. do you have other games (apart from bomber) from the same "series"?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 02:23:11 PM »
Thanks!  ;D :oops: ;D
Here's a video of the Space Glider in action.
The image is reflected in a mirror so it feels like everything is floating in space when it moves. :spaceace:

(... and you might recognize a familiar cockpit in the background: my old Grand Champion, it's a small small arcade world)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:47:05 PM by chrischris »

caincan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 07:57:35 PM »
argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg  !!!!!!!!

Secret base.   one my childhood games.   i know perfectly this gameplay.   basic but pure badaboom pleasure to hit the mountain silos missiles.  even if it was easy at last.      incredible to see one !    searched this for years  :roll:.  

count me your story memories about it ?    me (and many young around)  played it  near Spain,  in Atlantic pyrénées,  from 1980-1983,  it was the lowered price game,  1 franc français.  around 0,15€..

it was a guy moving in various villages, with a truck equiped with 7 games  (SI, phoenix, kiss pinball, secret base, ...another pinball i lost memory about..,    later came : Commando).   (i found 30years later one of these "rare" games.. an EM game of western ambience)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:04:30 PM by caincan »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:30:03 PM »
Cool story caincan. Can you imagine that he could make a living out of travelling around with just 7 games......man times have changed !

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:47:59 PM »
Many thanks to chrischris for getting this awesome game.

chrischris: you have a pm, or if anyone know his paypal address please pm me it  :)

caincan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 07:51:44 PM »
time passes and TTL still die DIE DIEEEEEEE

so what happened to your ,SECRET BASE, machine since ?!??  :P

i messaged Alpha1 because he said having one, faulty. but none anwer.
the words are from the heart still.

yes years passing  and the suicide ranks of old arcades grow

did you succeed saving it   or sending the boards to some guru of arcade extraction eproms ?

this game is really one i would love to play again  even in Mame

it's just desperate and scarce in japan to see the very few old games alive !   passing seawolf, speed race  it seems nothing is visible again  confused   shame on these fortunes there who dont save anything with their big means

for i'm very disappointed of something,  a french contact found it for me in a wasteland area of belgium  (weird ?  that wasn't your place)   and when he got back again   it was stolen with some other arcades from the owner..  :evil:   something weird  is that someone from this forum was mentioning about this warehouse few times before..  :-\

but... does it exists some games with similarity ?   i dont find anything related,   canyon bomber is more older and lacks many aspects of it
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 07:54:12 PM by caincan »