Author Topic: Sega Outrun the restoration  (Read 78178 times)

Giddygoon

• View Profile
Sega Outrun the restoration
« on: January 19, 2008, 01:37:24 AM »

Hi All

I have recently acquired a Sega Outrun dlx upright......Now this cab has seen better days, it was sited for years at a beach side pier until quiet recently.

On closer inspection the damage to cab is clear, T molding has gone from one side, side art is tatty and worse still, there are cigarette burns on the plastic bezel and the control panel is cracked and lost its color.

Now! lets open the beast.

Well there is at least 20 years worth of dust, and a dead spider plus a beautiful web near the monitor.

It looks like the operator must have put a new psu in the cab and done some quick re-wiring to the PCB..... What a mess!

There are cables in here that don't connect to anything!!!

The force feedback motor does not work ) :
But the steering wheel , gear shifter and pedals all work..... Phew!

I decided to hit the dust buster ( a quaint little piece from the 1980's)

That’s better!!!

New problem......No Sound, the original owner said that a wire had probably came out......???

I find a cracked board inside.....I think it’s probably the PCB itself.

I'm making a decision to either repair the original parts of this game or strip it out and replace with a Pc running Mame!

Next step.... remove all the parts and strip the side art off and start the repairs to the cabinet.

I'll post some more soon

Giddygoon

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:17:01 PM by DarthNuno »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Sega Outrun the restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Ouch...  :arrow:

... what happens to that poor cab'  ??? It won"t be easy to fix such damages. I wouldn't use wood filler for such repair ... I think it would be better to remove this wood and replace it by a reproduction of the part.

There is a good example on the arcadecontrols website (click on the picture) :

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:23:31 PM »
Well, new Sega part replacement from eBay, now maybe the sound may work now!!!

And out with the old cracked one.

STILL NO SOUND FROM THE GAME.....ARHHHHHHHH Must be the PCB!
Time the strip out all the internals this baby is getting Mamed. So lets start by getting rid of all the wiring to the pcb and just keep the essentials...........thats better

All of this!!!!!!!..................is for the skip

And the main board is up for spares......bye bye

Stay tuned
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:55:15 PM by DarthNuno »

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:09:56 AM »
Now its time to remove the control panel, shifter and steering wheel!

Notice, the rocker motor to the left....... seriously industrial

Disaster strikes!!!! The last screw holding the steering wheel has rusted solid, I tried loosing it WD40, but it would not budge. I, many of my friends tried too but we could not even move at all, and the tamper proof screw was becoming rounded..... Arggggggg if I can't get that out then I can't take steering wheel off or the control panel, It had to be drilled out.....a nervous half hour and the screw head finally gave up.... I was also able to remove the whole rusted screw too..... Phew!!!!!

I think people had spilt a lot drinks over the years on this steering wheel column, totally rusted, but useable!

The rest of the bits that came off!

I have removed the control panel and steering wheel only to find more dirt and dust, some more cleaning to be done I think!

Hang on! What do I spy there........?

Its a 20p from 1987, how did it get there????

Next thing to do is, to remove the monitor....... To be continued
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 12:14:40 PM by DarthNuno »

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 02:57:20 PM »
HELP HELP HELP!!!

DOES ANYBODY HAVE OR KNOW OF SOMEBODY WHO MAY A GOOD CONDITON OUTRUN DLX UPRIGHT CONTROL PANEL

IT WOULD BE MUCH APPERCIATED!!!!

GIDDYGOON

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »
After cleaning as best I can all the dust off, its now time to remove the glass, bezel and finally the monitor

The monitor on this cab is front loaded, very easy to remove!

I also at this point remove the last of the control panel and the pedal assemble

Phew! Monitor successfully out without dropping it, now the cabinet is almost no weight and can be moved around easily

The monitor also needs a dust down with a small paintbrush then the dust buster!

Right its time to start repairs on the cab!

Lets lay the cab down, which is easy now nothings inside it!

Decision time, do I cut the bad section out or treat with wood filler????

I was advised by a few people including Bruno (I should have listened) not to fill the above, but because I find hard to even put a saw near an original cab I decided to use wood filler

I brushed off all the dead and loose wood then treated the area with wood hardener..............which you have leave for 6 hours to work so I decided to clean up the dusty ventilation fan and de-rust the steering wheel column which came out better then I imagined.

Six hours later or so I started to fill, now this is a big area but I went mad trying to cover the area but it was so deep that I had to use more wood filler. This was the first time I had tried this so it was a bit scary!!!
When it had set I tried to sand it...............this stuff sets really hard, now I know that’s the point but Evan trying to use an electric sand didn't do much to get the level down.....!!!!!!!

It’s a nightmare! I have put too much on, I can't shape or anything.......it looks like a big piece of gum stuck to the corner of my machine..............disaster I try chipping it down with a chisel and a huge piece came off with some of the dead wood.....Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Time to just cut the bad section off with the filler stuck to it and makes a reproduction piece!

This was easy then I expected and not that painful, I have secured a new reprodution piece with wood glue and some hidden screws

Now all I will do is wood fill the gaps!

Stay tuned (Giddygoon)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 07:49:35 AM by DarthNuno »

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 08:30:21 AM »
It must have been a terrible feeling to see all the wood filler mess and not being able to sand it.  :-[
I am worried about the same thing on my very broken Dragon's Lair cab.

Good luck, looking good so far!  :)

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 09:56:51 PM »
Thanks madsjm!

I will have to do some more wood filling soon but not as bad as that, Why don't you post some pic's of your Dragon's Lair Cab!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 06:13:22 PM »
Hey, great work on this  :arrow:

[img]https://www.dragonslairfans.com/forforum/giddy/DSC00015.jpg[img]

Like Madsjm said, too bad for the wood filler  :-\ I know it is very expensive  :-[ But now, you follow the right path  :)

:-*

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 11:19:36 PM »
Hey, thanks Bruno!

By the way Bruno, any tips on the best way to use wood filler on Arcade cabinets?? you know, how much to mix etc!

these more wood filler action coming soon!

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Now the replacement part is in place, I use wood glue and some screws to secure the piece in place then I use wood filler to fill the gaps because there is going to be a lot of wood filling and sanding. I decided to up the anti with a more powerful sander too!

Suddenly things are much easier!

Rounding the shape Just like the original!

As you can see in this picture, I cheated and knocked in a few nails in too just to give the new reproduction part a bit more strength these will be painted over so you won't notice them later.

Now, the other side (Sorry bad picture)

More water damage, not as bad as the other side its manly on the surface, so im gonna use wood filler rather then making another reproduction part!

Somebody took a bite out of this machine!!

A large chip near the marquee too, this is the bit I really want to get right........ I’m really nervous!!!!

First of all, using a wire brush I get rid of all the dead wood then treat the areas with wood hardener and wait for six hours or more before applying the filler. I use a piece of cardboard to keep the rough shape and wait for the filler to dry!

Other areas treated with the filler!

With the wood filler, I learned that its best to build up the shape bit by bit, it takes time but you can get the correct shape!

Once the wood filler is rock solid, I then chip away at the excess using a chisel, being real careful this time! Then I use the sander!

You can see in this picture where the wood filler, which is in white and the wood, meet, again more shaping with the sander!

I also had to try wood filling the foot rest area, which had been badly worn down over the years. I use a piece of card again to retain the original shape!

I did the same for the other side too!

Using a smaller sander I shape back the cabinet foot!

Well, all the filling done, I stand the cabinet upright again worrying that all the wood filling on the bottom would crack off as I put pressure on the bottom corner of the cab but its solid as a rock and im really pleased with the result!

Next, primer the cab and paint it!!!

Update soon!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 07:07:23 AM by DarthNuno »

amadama

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 04:42:15 AM »
Good progress Giddygoon. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your restoration!
Alex

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 09:10:52 PM »
Very impressive Giddygoon ! You're really doing a great job, congratulation ! Can't wait to see what's next  :-*

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 10:52:50 PM »

The finished foot ends!

And the marquee repair!

Preparing the cabinet for primer

Primer Time, Yeah! I decided to use a spray rather then an oil based primer because it set's in 15 mins and Im only treating the areas where I used wood filler.

I manually sand the areas until smooth then I add more primer

More preparation to mask areas before painting

Time to start painting!!!!

First coat of Black satin via roller, I tried painting down strokes followed by across strokes

I waited till the first coat was dry and then added another coat........waiting for wet paint to dry........zzzzzZZZZZZ

I also painted by hand some small areas with a paintbrush....it works too!!! (Got that idea from Bruno)

Hours later!

I'm very pleased with the result and the cabinet repairs have vanished!!

Next, T Molding

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 12:52:27 AM by Giddygoon »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 09:51:42 PM »
You're doing a very good job on this cab'.

It's amazing to see what we can do for the love of his favorite games  :)

Once again, congratulation... You've done the most complicated part of the restoration.  8)