Author Topic: Sega Outrun the restoration  (Read 78192 times)

Dexter

• View Profile
Re: Sega Outrun the restoration
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 05:12:05 AM »
Great work  :)

If you need a new MAP print out, I am working on one at the moment (See below) If you do need one let me know the size and I can have it ready for you to have printed.

I am putting mine on the top of the cabinet, I noticed yours in on the bezel and might be a different size (I just need width and height)

Let me know

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 11:25:58 PM »
Thanks Dexter!!

I, already have a nos Outrun map, but I was wondering weather you can get a scan of the front stripe sticker from an Outrun upright and do a high resolulotion re-print????????

Let me know!

Dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 11:29:11 PM »
As there were a lot of different Out Run cabs, do you have a small sample to show me ?

If there is nothing to it, I should be able to create a vector in no time (higher quality the better for the sample)

Oh, and here is a better pic of the map:

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 12:47:22 AM »
Hi Dexter!!

Yeah, The Outrun cab is a UK Sega dlx upright cab!

I can't post pics on here, but if you email me Johnnybegoodalright@hotmail.com

I can send you the only picture I took off the original before i peeled it off!

Thanks again

Dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 03:53:52 AM »
Something like this  ;D

I've only spent about 15 - 20 minutes on it. I am thinking I might vector it (time depending)

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »
Its time for the router!!!!

I'm using a 1/4" bore slotter, which is adjustable

Then I just line it up with the original T-mold trench and lock the router

I have to re-cut the trench filled by the wood filler

It’s a job best done in single sweeps and always let the router spin down in the trench don't pull it away to early or you will rune the cut!

I bought about 40 feet of 3/4" of black T-molding from UKt-Molding.Co.Uk perfect replacement for the original that was missing or damaged. Using a hammer wrapped in a cloth the t-mold is put into place.
For sharp or tight corners I cut a little piece out, this is example from the Original Outrun t-molding

Here’s the T-molding in place

This is the under side of the Cabinet, I used some wood glue and two small tacks just to secure the t-molding although it slotted in perfectly

Also did the same with the front foot

Outrun cabinet ready!!!...............GO!............Check point!

Very happy with the restored top right corner

And the repairs on the front step

I could not resist

Next update soon!!!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:24:38 PM by Giddygoon »

amadama

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 01:03:21 AM »
Looking real good!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 05:14:07 PM »
You're doing a very great job on this  :)

jujusl [FR]

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 10:16:04 PM »
Awesome job ! Can't wait to see it finished  :D

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 06:50:10 AM »
Looking Great!!! 

I think you can go to "My Ebay"  and set a pre programmed search to look for you a control panel for your Out Run..  Give it a shot!!

Looking foward to more progress!   Keep up the good work!    ( I remember the Out Run sitdown model, I played it alot when it was new in 1988! )

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 10:07:24 PM »
Well, thanks everyone for the encouragement and info!

Now while I was repairing the Cabinet, I also have been searching hi and low for spare parts as the originals suffered from cigarette burns or were just worn out. I was really lucky, it just seemed that while I have been doing this project loads of people had parts or pointed me in the right direction so I managed to find an Outrun Control panel, bezel, steering wheel (with emblem!) pedal ensemble, accelerator pedal.

I also bought a Super Monaco accelerator pedal, I saw it on a flyer for the stand up monaco cab and it looked the same as an Outrun....... sadly it fits but was too long.... it looks good though, but useless.

I also bought a new Outrun marquee..... Looks great now that top right corner has been repaired

I was able to find a NOS outrun Map (what are the chances!!! ) so I stuck it on the replacement bezel.... then put the control panel, steering wheel and Monitor back in place.

Also new pedal assemble in place and out with the old!

Almost finished, now just to add reproduction side art. I ordered some repro art from Mamemarquee.com

The repro is based on a US Outrun cabinet so its just slightly different.....but I could not find anybody that did a UK version.....its only slightly different, so I took a chance!

I also found while looking for Outrun side art some NOS Dragon's Lair II side art so seeing as I was in the process of applying Side art to my Outrun cabinet I thought I finally apple the side art to my DL II too (which never have had the beautiful side art)

Well I'm very pleased with the restoration so far just need to wire it up inside and just sort a few more details............More pics soon

Time to bring it to life!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 05:52:26 AM by DarthNuno »

Ghost Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 03:07:05 PM »
Beautiful restoration, keep us posted.

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 11:21:06 PM »
Congratulations !
Your Outrun is becoming like new. I see you have also an Atari Dragon's lair, it is working with the original player ? It looks great too.
Bye,

Matteo

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008, 11:31:46 PM »
SWITCH ON................BANG!  No.........it works!!!

I also replaced a few bits on the gear shifter too!

Very Pleased with the finish! The sound is running to original speakers and a Pc desktop subwoofer, you got to hear.....it really rumbles

I installed a PC running a 3Ghz wired to Ultimarc Apac, once wired up the pedals and steering and configured, I can expand on the fun by not just running Outrun but other great driving games too. I decided to use the AtomicFE front end, it easy to use and looks good.

Once set up I can choose

Or this,

Or maybe this!

I still need to adjust the calibration for some games but most of them are quite playable. Virtual Racing is great! But I'll finish this off with some more pictures of Outrun the original game which plays very well. A lot of people tend to slag off Mame or using emulation but I have already spent loads of money on PCBs, Laserdisc players that die or boards loose sound or graphics, I really think Emulation is very close these days and if you have the correct video output and set the monitor sizing and color correct most people can't tell, Suits me and Its more reliable..... Outrun lives on renewed

Giddygoon
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:29:51 AM by DarthNuno »

amadama

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 03:59:24 AM »
Hi Giddygoon,
You have done a fantastic job on this Outrun! Your hard work paid off! Congrats.
(what happened to the pics from your last post? I can't see any of them)
Alex