Author Topic: I'm building my personal Gaming Room...  (Read 1035807 times)

uncletom

• View Profile
Re: I'm building my personal Gaming Room...
« Reply #900 on: September 10, 2012, 01:56:42 PM »
I'm only thinking a little here, but what if you would start up a gym?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #901 on: September 10, 2012, 09:53:39 PM »
Hey Bruno, I'm confused, is this the finished wall, or will drywall/gypsum board/other material be installed on top of all of this now that electrical is done?
Off course there will be gyproc panels.  :)

It will be OSB panels, like I did for the V2 (see right here)

I'm only thinking a little here, but what if you would start up a gym?

I would prefer a spa area : indoor pool, sauna, Jacuzzi...  :)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 10, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »
...speaking about OSB panels...first load :

...and the walls 'thermal insulation' stuff :

8)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #903 on: September 10, 2012, 10:44:55 PM »

Question: will the wiring stay like this ? I'm sure it will be saddled to the beams or something ?
If you keep it like that f.i. the entire weight of the cable running to that high wall-outlet is hanging on that wall-outlet. That is (relatively) a lot of weight and the wall-outlet's terminals are not constructed to support that.

ombrenoire

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 10, 2012, 11:07:19 PM »
Don't stress, the cable isn't 5x 25mm2 it's only 5x10mm2 and the cable is curved on the wall And
the  weight is in the curved not on f.i  ;)

Yes the cable 5x10mm2 need to be saddled on the wall.

( i understand you speak to big cable. It is ? My english are rusty  :oops: )

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #905 on: September 10, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »
I mean the vertical running cables not the horizontal ones that are supported by the beams...

leonk

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 11, 2012, 05:16:16 AM »
How are you planning on protecting the electrical wire in the wood joists from being pierced with screws as you hang the osb? (in north America, electricians have metal plates they hammer over those areas so gypsum board installers don't screw into wire!)

Also, what about the osb itself? I assume you'll install something on top of it? Some fabric?

leonk

• View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 11, 2012, 05:37:13 AM »
Hi Bruno, I went back to read how you did the wall with v2 (pg 16 or so) and I finally understand what you're trying to do here -- you will be installing fiberglass on the osb and then painting it!

This process is very similar to what we do here in very wet spots (eg inside shower) we use a product called ditra which is basically what you're doing. It's 100% water proof and acts as vapor barrier but isn't it super expensive to built a wall this way?? Fiber glass sheets in Canada cost hundreds of dollars per role!!

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #908 on: September 11, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »
This process is very similar to what we do here in very wet spots (eg inside shower) we use a product called ditra which is basically what you're doing. It's 100% water proof and acts as vapor barrier but isn't it super expensive to built a wall this way?? Fiber glass sheets in Canada cost hundreds of dollars per role!!

Dunno about the prices in Belgium, but in Holland it costs somewhere between 3 and 7 euros per square meter (that's about $0,35-$0,80 per square foot), depending on thickness/design. Last year we had a painter cover, and then paint all the walls in our whole house (over 250 m2) with ultrathin fiberglass sheets for around €3000 (that's about €12 per m2, or $1,40 per square foot)

Also, it's not necessarily waterproof, it's just an easy way to cover walls quickly and create a finish that is something in between wallpaper and plasterwork.
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

leonk

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 11, 2012, 08:51:37 PM »
Also, it's not necessarily waterproof, it's just an easy way to cover walls quickly and create a finish that is something in between wallpaper and plasterwork.

Why not use just plaster board, the way they do in North America?  Isn't it cheaper/faster/less labor to install?  You can buy plaster board that has fiberglass as the 2 outside layers around the gypsum (instead of paper)  The net results should be the same.

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #910 on: September 11, 2012, 10:01:44 PM »
Why not use just plaster board, the way they do in North America?  Isn't it cheaper/faster/less labor to install?

Not necessarily. Plaster boards (at least, over here in the Netherlands) are often used as system walls in office buildings, or to place new walls inside existing houses (e.g. to create an extra bedroom). They aren't often used as a building material in new structures.

Once again: the big difference between Europe and America is that you guys mainly build houses from wooden skeletons, and we use stone, brick or (prefab) concrete.

My new house for instance is built with large concrete blocks. The outside walls are then isolated on the outside with rockwool, and then an extra layer of bricks is added on the outside, both for looks and function (see wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavity_wall).
The inside walls are just bare stone blocks, which are then covered with a thin layer of plaster to create an even surface. We decided to cover these walls with glassfiber (to cover any future cracks in the plaster) and paint, but our neighbours have just painted on the plaster work after thorough sanding and leveling, and the other neighbours added an extra layer of structured plaster (which they painted with different colors here and there).

There are different building guidelines/restrictions in every European country though, so what the Dutch see as normal isn't used in say, the UK or France. But in general the basic here way to build is stone, not wood.
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

leonk

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 12, 2012, 12:45:48 AM »
Thanks for sharing.. I'm sure the European homes are much stronger built in the long run; but alas, there's no such thing as perfect. 

Having wood homes has the advantage of future proof (simple to run network wire, fiber optic, new electrical, new plumbing, etc).  Also, wood homes tend to be much warmer than stone homes.  But the flaw with wood homes is settling. Over time, homes settle in soft sandy earth, and cracks in the concrete/plaster need to be fixed.  Wood homes also have the potential of having termite damage.

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 13, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »
Looking so great, I can't imagine how much this is costing you...  Great work!!  can't wait for more updates!   :D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 13, 2012, 11:20:34 PM »
 :)

Ok, now ... heat & humidity insulation to the max!!! Let's go...  :arrow:

8)

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #914 on: September 13, 2012, 11:26:48 PM »
Looks a bit like the inside of a vomit comet  ;D