Author Topic: I'm building my personal Gaming Room...  (Read 1036144 times)

leonk

• View Profile
Re: I'm building my personal Gaming Room...
« Reply #870 on: August 29, 2012, 03:52:29 AM »
Wow.. Interesting.  In north America, it's against building code to build walls with 2x4 wood with the 4" side being parallel with the wall (this makes the wall cavity only 1.5" wide - not enought for plumbing and other goodies you might want to run in there nor enough space for minimum insulation standards)

Do you even need permits to build your lair?

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: August 29, 2012, 05:45:02 AM »

Cannot use one socket per game, it would be too much sockets to install, and definitely not enough at the end, so...

Yes, I did the same too, You can get heavy duty power strips to plug games into, and it will give you more options for game placement.   ;)

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #872 on: August 29, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »
Wow.. Interesting.  In north America, it's against building code to build walls with 2x4 wood with the 4" side being parallel with the wall (this makes the wall cavity only 1.5" wide - not enought for plumbing and other goodies you might want to run in there nor enough space for minimum insulation standards)

Do you even need permits to build your lair?

You forget that the outside is a 10 or 12" thick (or something about that) stone wall. The wooden frame is mostly just there to hold the insulation and the wiring, it doesn't have any other constructional function.

If you read back in this thread, you can see more examples how the total construction of the wall works (and Nuno did need permits indeed, even with official drawings from an architect).

On topic: good to see that the V3 is finally getting somewhere! I'm getting more and more jealous for having a huge space like this for your hobby (I just have a not too big attic and a small shed in the backyard)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:22:27 AM by McVenco »
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: August 29, 2012, 09:42:47 AM »
I would like to see Brunos complete land-drawing, with measurements and borders. He seems to have a good piece land there, makes me wonder how large.

Bruno lives in Belgium, yes? Where in Belgium?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #874 on: August 29, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
And yes, of course we need permits to build things in Europe, we are not third world here......
I think we probably have stricter rules too. At least we build a lot stronger buildings.
We use brick, concrete etc. for homes usually, in the US its mostly wood....

atarikid

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: August 29, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »
Bruno lives in Belgium, yes? Where in Belgium?

If I am not mistaken he lives in the far south corner next to Luxembourg. About 300km from my step door (@ Antwerp).

Coder of EasyMame
- Pinball Star Trek NG
- Mame cabinet

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 29, 2012, 01:48:29 PM »
I'd like to ask Bruno if he could please provide me a sattellite picture of his land piece. I am very curious about the plan of the building from top view. Actually, Bruno's project there is inspiring me to the limit of buying a house with some land myself, however well I like it where I currently live. Space, square meters, are a rare blessing these days unless your're a farmer or live in the countryside.

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 29, 2012, 02:10:51 PM »
I will make some example...

I will create a new thread, ok?

wait... Done.

If you look under here https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=3845.new#new you can see what I mean.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:15:14 PM by uncletom »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #878 on: August 29, 2012, 02:24:50 PM »
I don't think putting a location where (estimate) 80+ classic arcade games can be found on a public forum is wise.

But that is just MHO of course....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:31:46 PM by Level42 »

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 29, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »
Aha, yes. Well, I thought of that as well. But you never need to reveal too much about the exact location. I am simply suggesting a brief introduction to the type of living, area looks and a general pictures. Not exact addresses, that would be too obvious for theives and criminals. Ofcourse, I still have a few brain cells left from last newyears-party.

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #880 on: August 29, 2012, 02:34:21 PM »
Wouldn't the games be too heavy for any theif to take? I mean, personally I'd think that any place within a populated area isn't liable to be robbed. Like I live on the third floor which is quite high up, and I'm pretty well known around here, my neighbors know me, they water my plants, feed my cats while I'm gone. I must say that I'm not the least bit worried about any brake-in. But, maybe I am too naive?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #881 on: August 29, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »
In some situations, like Bruno's I think an address is not necessary....a google maps picture with an area is enough to do some searching and find the address...

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 29, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »
Aha. Well, ok. But still, I am not interested in particular address. Just a physical view basically. It is not very important. I was only a curious. No problems I hope.

Actually, I am the landlord within my housing association here, and we have infact had a couple of break-ins over the years. But in both these instances it has been obvious that it is an inside job, sadly within their family, because the theives knew exqactly where to look, and what time people were out. We actually bought new doors for them afterwards. And their neighbors bought expensive security doors/ break-in-proof doors later.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #883 on: August 29, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
But, maybe I am too naive?

My car got stolen this year and I consider myself to live in a safe sub-urb. Bad luck for the thieves as I repossessed it within a couple of hours...

I don't think the average thief will be interested in classic arcade games. They are way too heavy to move and much harder to "move" after they would have stolen them, I mean sell it...besides the community is so small it will be easily detected within the "scene".

However.....I don't like taking risks....and you never know who is reading this.

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 29, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »
Ofcourse, Level4. I can't argue with that. You're right.

Nnnngh, now I've spoiled the thread here. Sorry about it. I always do that.