Author Topic: Donkey Kong Cabinet - My First Scratch-Built Replica  (Read 9394 times)

Aphus

• View Profile
Donkey Kong Cabinet - My First Scratch-Built Replica
« on: July 16, 2011, 08:55:09 PM »
Hello everyone, I've been reading these particular forums for a few days after being lured in by scr33n's replica topics which exhibit his amazing craftsmanship. The posts have been very enjoyable to read, and I have learned a lot about the process of building a replica arcade cabinet. I also read through John St.Clair's "Project Arcade" book the other night and have been researching this project non-stop over the past four days.

I am going to start a long-term project of building my own Donkey Kong arcade cabinet. College is starting in a little over a month, so any progress will be made on the weekends. I have a few questions about the project before I begin, maybe you can help me out:

1. Nintendo coin doors are the hardest part to find for a Nintendo cab. How much should I be willing to pay for one? (I know of two that I can get my hands on, but one is $150 and the other is almost $200)

2. I found Jakobud's plans online, but got discouraged when I read that they aren't 100% accurate. What kind of problems could this pose for me? Is there a better source for the cabinet plans? (scr33n?)

3. What size is the monitor in the original DK cabinet? 19" and 20" seem to be the ones that pop up most.

4. I'm going to run MAME on an old computer of mine. Windows 95 or XP? It would be neat to run MAME as a startup shell script on 95.

5. 5/8" MDF for the cabinet body?

That being said, the workshop in my basement is almost ready for business again after 10 years of abandonment! Once it's completely organized and clean, I can start acquiring materials and building this exciting project. Just a few more days...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:04:21 PM by Aphus »
Looking for:
Nintendo Coin Door
Nintendo Lower Bezel Frame (#TKGU-01-53)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey Kong Cabinet - My First Scratch-Built Replica
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »
Hi there welcome here, and goodluck with your build

For the measurements, i would check out scr33n's dk build, there are many pics where he asks measurements for his build, so they must be there  ;)

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=783.msg6836#msg6836
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:30:55 PM by Etienne »

falcon NL

• Im Loving this!
    • View Profile
    • Florush
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 02:52:34 AM »
1. Nintendo coin doors are the hardest part to find for a Nintendo cab. How much should I be willing to pay for one? (I know of two that I can get my hands on, but one is $150 and the other is almost $200)
I paid 165 including shipping, but i also paid 60 euro for the restoration of it. So you really need to search and have a bit of luck with those doors.

2. I found Jakobud's plans online, but got discouraged when I read that they aren't 100% accurate. What kind of problems could this pose for me? Is there a better source for the cabinet plans? (scr33n?)

Jakobud is "okay" big thing that is wrong with it is the wide of the cabinet.The shape is good with some alterations by looking at screens measurements. Big tip, buy EVERYTHING (like beezel, CP, Art retainers) before building your cabinet. This way you dont end up with things that dont fit(i have learned that the hard way)

3. What size is the monitor in the original DK cabinet? 19" and 20" seem to be the ones that pop up most.
The original DK cabinet monitor was a 19 inch.

i used 150mm MDF, and the T-molding fits perfectly with it so its a good guess.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:10:57 PM by falcon NL »
Current Project: Donkey Kong

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
Welcome to this board, Aphus  :)

You're in the right place regarding the 'Scratch-Built Replica'  ;)

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
Welcome Aphus !!!  :spaceace: :spaceace:

... and good luck with your first scratch built  8)

Yes that's true, it's a pain the ass  :?

I paid 60$ + shipping = $120 total
Try to check very often Ebay and Quarterarcade or try to ask on Klov

Jakobud is "okay" big thing that is wrong with it is the wide of the cabinet.The shape is good with some alterations by looking at screens measurements. Big tip, buy EVERYTHING (like beezel, CP, Art retainers) before building your cabinet. This way you dont end up with things that dont fit(i have learned that the hard way)

100% Agree - buy everything and use the Bruno's measures  :-* :-*

19 inch

4. I'm going to run MAME on an old computer of mine. Windows 95 or XP? It would be neat to run MAME as a startup shell script on 95.

Windows 98 and Dos - check this great site: http://dosmame.mameworld.info/  everything explained very well  :-*

I used 140mm MDF (impossible to find 150mm MDF here in Italy) and works fine with white nintendo T-molding replica

Keep us updated !!!
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber