Author Topic: I know that monkey, its Donkey! [DK Scratch build]  (Read 33331 times)

falcon NL

• Im Loving this!
    • View Profile
    • Florush
Re: I know that monkey, its Donkey! [DK Scratch build]
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2010, 11:00:28 AM »
Thanks André!

I remember a discussion about painting the inside of the "grill" black.

So should it be black or jut wood?   
Current Project: Donkey Kong

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »
just wood if you like it original

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2010, 12:26:01 PM »

as i've said before: sometimes you have to make the choice between keeping it close to the original or improving upon the original to make it look better. most of the time i prefer to go the second route - and that's what i'd do in this case: paint the inner part of the speaker grill in the same color as the board (black?). this is going to look so much better then!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 07:39:57 PM »

as i've said before: sometimes you have to make the choice between keeping it close to the original or improving upon the original to make it look better. most of the time i prefer to go the second route - and that's what i'd do in this case: paint the inner part of the speaker grill in the same color as the board (black?). this is going to look so much better then!
I totally disagree.

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 07:58:44 PM »
i'd say, paint :)
Look, here someone who keeps it original and didn't paint the inside (www.donkeykongrestore.blogspot.com):

Here, my cabinet (scratch build) and painted inside the grill:

Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 08:35:15 PM »
way better with the grill painted inside. why do you disagree, andré? because you like the bare wood better or for original reasons?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2010, 08:56:41 PM »
way better with the grill painted inside. why do you disagree, andré? because you like the bare wood better or for original reasons?
Because it's original.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »
Because it's original.

well, it's no longer original as soon as do work on a cab, let this be applying replacement sideart or filling holes. for me it is "how can i make a cab look good?", even if this means making minor changes, for example i've never understood the placement of the DK instruction sticker or the position of the dragon's lair sideart - both of them look just horrible in their original position!

but each to his own, how boring would this hobby be without a little controversy?

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 09:46:12 PM »
Difficult decision but I'll also leave my DK grill unpainted. Although a painted one looks (way) better I think it's more important to restore the cabinet back to his original state. But that's just my opinion..

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:49:27 PM by gyruss »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 10:05:54 PM »
As I said, if the cab has to look like an original then don't paint the speaker grill (obvious this is to be preferred).

But this is different, the cab is going to be a very nice Mame cab which looks like a DK cab from the outside. But there will be extra buttons on the bottom of the CP to control Mame and there will be a PC in it. So in this case it doesn't matter if the grill is painted or wood, it's just a matter of taste of falcon NL (I would still say to leave it wood  :) ).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:34:24 AM by ckong »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:01 PM »
Why an extra button? Isn't possible to wire the cabinet so you can make use of the player 1 and 2 button as extra buttons?

Just like lizard lick jamma to pacman adaptor?

tapule

• View Profile
    • Gelide frontend website
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2010, 07:40:01 PM »
Because it's original.
I think the inside of the grill is just wood in the original, because the original is not painted, it is some kind of laminate.

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2011, 11:04:48 PM »
While browsing this forum once again (I must have seen all build topics already 3 times now ;D) for building inspiration I noticed this thread. Did you already finish this cab, falcon?
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

falcon NL

• Im Loving this!
    • View Profile
    • Florush
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2011, 02:40:40 AM »
Sadly not  :( I have been way to busy with my internship so progress is really slow, but since summer is finally here for me im starting this back up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9P0Ir8c5I&feature=channel_video_title

I painted the inside of the cabinet black, finally installed the complete CP, got my ipac and added the side art. Somewhere in January i had my dad pick up my monitor from Gyruss (Long overdue Thank you) that he had in storage for me and its been safe and dry in my workshop ever since. Got a nice computer and finally installed Mame/Mala on it with a sweet frond end but i still need to wire my Ipac with the controls before i can play.

Since im here i have a question: for installing my monitor in my cabinet i need to add support beams to hold it.Im looking for the degree that these beams should have. By looking at pictures would say something roughly like 40° degrees, but im not sure...can anybody help me?
Current Project: Donkey Kong