Dragon's Lair Fans - Arcade Lifestyle
June 27, 2017, 07:24:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ALS'/DLF' : your daily dose of Arcade Life Style...inside the Dragon's Lair!

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: :: Road Trip "An other kind of invaders" - Space Invader pinball [the 2nd wave]  (Read 25844 times)
DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:25:15 PM »

Prologue

Why Space Invaders pinball?

Well, simply because It's the pinball that that reminds me more memories 'pinball related' ever. It's not really the very first pinball I played (I'm remembering a mechanical pinball as the first one played), but it's the one I really ...'enjoyed' first. Well, it's not really 'enjoyed'... I should say that it's the one who scared/fascinated me first/most! At the time I was something like 8 or 10 years old! That alien face on the backglass was the scariest thing that I've ever seen!
That pinball was -until now- a real mystery for me: because I was very young, my parents didn't let me alone in the Luna Park, and I didn't have a lot of time to spend on it  Undecided  Only few parts and then... time to move away  Undecided So not enough time to 'study' it like I did later on video games.
I also remember watching my bro' playing on it... and sometime let me play one ball!
The low frequency and scary sounds, these incredible 'a la Giger' artworks, the fact that I cannot stay too close and too long around this pinball 'for adult', the name "Space Invaders" (I was already addict to the video game) even if that Alien didn't look like the ones on the original cabinet, the widebody format of this one, completely different than the others pinballs... all these things... create a real fascination around this pinball!

See, I even can remember 'its shadow' in the same Luna Park I use to go EVERY years since (see this TOPIC to understand the 'place')  arrow

...more than that, I clearly remember 2 or 3 in a row! A real invasion at the time  Grin

During my quest to collect arcade games all these years, I knew that one time I'll have to get that pinball! It wasn't a priority, but because I have now all the games from my 'most wanted list', I can seriously thing about it  Wink ..and I knew owning that pinball was ... [Vader voice=ON]my destiny[Vader voice=ON]...and I had to solve the mystery behind that Alien!  Grin A kind of exorcism  Tongue

I already met that pinball here and there, most of the time in exhibitions or game room...

Vierzon 2009 / France

Joystix / Houston USA

... and even during road trip :

M.A.C.H.3 Road Trip'

... and last but not least, a (hell of) road trip could be done to ...Budapest, Hungary... yes... Bela aka "Belike" ...but finally canceled because the pinball was in very poor condition. I don't want to restore pinballs, I already have too much work on my cabinets for the century to come  Ghost ... I'm looking for a "plug&play" SI pinball!

... and came that post : [Wanted] Space Invaders pinball? Anyone here?  Cool
After few days of research ... I found one!

OK, enough blabla... let's report the ...

Road Trip'

Saturday, the 9th of April 2011.

The sooner I leave, the sooner I'm back and so hoping to spend more time with my little Sun  Kiss ...so wake up around 5:30am. I'm preparing the usual stuff...

The ship is ready...

All systems clear!

I made the Kessel Run in this car in 12 parsecs  Wink What will be the stat at the end of this one?

Well, this time it won't be long  Cool  arrow

I like the smell of the road trip, early the morning...

I'm not really alone in the car  Smiley  arrow

I look like a zombie here... still tired...

...and hungry ... but ... Damn it! It's too early for that one  Twisted  arrow

As often during road trip, I've to focus on things here and there along the road, in order to stay awake... I try to figure out 'things' around me  lol For instance, I'm sure I've seen that structure in Xevious  Roll Eyes  arrow

The sun rises... ops, I need to clean the back glass  Roll Eyes Grin

Holy Jesus! I discovered this by looking at the pictures  Shocked  arrow

I swear God I didn't see that while taking the pictures (the idea was to take the 'baby on board' in the mirror)

What the hell is this  Huh?

I checked on the following photos to make sure it was not a mark on the glass. This is not the case ... strange no? Space Invaders?!  Tongue

OK, arriving at the border ... soon entering in France  Cool

The famous Arcelor Mittal...

Mhhh...I guess I recognize an advertise here... can you spot it  Roll Eyes Tongue  arrow

Almost at location ... another invasion is coming soon on that town?  Roll Eyes

After this red light, I'll be at the final destination. 25 meters and 35 seconds to be precise, according my navigation system  Cool  arrow

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:07:39 AM by DarthNuno » Logged

DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »

And here's the beast!  Cool  arrow

Here's the story : the owner has it since 20 years. He got it from an operator who wanted to dismantle it for parts. The pinball didn't work, and the artworks on the body were not fresh anymore. It was his dream machine at the time. So he patiently restored that pinball. All the the body has been fully repainted, and of course the electronic has been repaired too. Deal!

During the conversion with the seller, we spoke about music : He's selling stuff for buying... electric guitars! You probably know that I'm also an electric guitar player. Se he invited me to the first floor in order to show me some of them  Cool

...more...

"As a rock guitar player, I presume you're a KISS fan?" he asked me.

Hell yeah!!!  Kiss

"Ok, take this KISS back glass with you then..."

Nice  Kiss It will be a nice decoration in my Lair  Wink  

An other nice pinball : Flash Gordon... and its famous synthetic speak... I tried it, very cool one, but too bad the music is not the Queen version! FLash !!! Ah-hhaaaa  Wink

OK, time to go back. In order to load the SI in the car, we have to remove all the cables that go from the playfield to the 'top box'... So I took a maximum of pictures before... I don't want to miss something during the reverse operation @ home...

See on these pictures how good the sides looks now after the restoration  Kiss  arrow

Let me be a proud owner of one of the 11,400 units produced Smiley  arrow

Big toy for big Boys  Grin  arrow

A report like this can be officially called 'Road Trip' IF it include this  Grin  arrow

In 1000 meters, a new invader will join the ranks of the Belgium Invaders Army  Twisted

Do you know the famous DOUR festival? My favorite one is the Graspop (metal meeting)  Twisted Wink

Fortunately for me, I've started this road trio very early the morning... see the traffic jam now in the opposite way!

Hey, an other UFO... no! This shuttle is clearly identified : EURO SPACE CENTER. I've never been there... shame on me  oppps

Hey! An other guy on 'Road Trip' mode?  Grin I'm wondering what is that cab'  Grin  arrow

Almost at home...

Men, I'm happy to live in country, fresh air ... quiet place ... but negative point : pollen  oppps

We here we are... let's check the statistics now  Cool  arrow

568 km, 6h43min, 2 countries. A very small one... but ... size doesn't matter as you all know  Grin

A great thing : it's 'only' 12:38 ... it's Saturday ... the road trip is done... and I still have the 'almost' entire week end to spend with family... and with that 'Alien' too  Cheesy

Unload process and close examination to follow  Cool
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:49:40 AM by DarthNuno » Logged

Dahlor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:36:39 AM »

I always wondered when you were finally gonna get around to getting one of these.

Congratulations on the sweet score, Nuno.

((And you should totally take some artsy pics of the playfield. Haven't seen one of these in person... Space Ace))
Etienne MacGyver
ArcadeLifeStyler'

The Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »

Not a big fan of pins, but this one looks mint !  Space Ace

congrats on the catch, and thanks for sharing the trip / story with us !

Looking for Repro Decals ?  Visit my webstore !  arrow  http://www.easywebshop.com/arcadedecals
Level42
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 11:36:31 AM »

Heheh, I guess that long intro was a bit triggered by my teasing post on the WTB thread Cheesy Glad you totally answered my question of why you wanted one. Excellent explanation !! Cheesy

Glad to see the investment of 687.000 in the Europe-wide Eurocade promotional campaign pays off, even in the most remote corners of Europe Eurocade is promoted !

(I hope my yard will fit the 38.956 estimated visitors Wink Wink  Grin Grin Grin

Anyway, the machine looks to be in excellent condition. And I have to say that it does have great artwork even though it's not like the videogame.
Are the black legs standard for this game ? Not sure, but it looks great on it Smiley

That UFO picture is scary man...it must be a sign......I hope they're not going to abduct you my friend.... Grin Grin Grin Grin

Putting back all the plugs is not really hard, but it's a lot of work. Took me an evening to figure it out on my JD (had to remove the back-box too).
I didn't even take pics (no camera with me and phone cam too shitty) so I completely relied on the manual and that was indeed good enough. So you can always fall back on the manual if needed...I'm sure you'll get  it done !

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:45:58 AM by Level42 » Logged

Belike
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Budapest, Hungary

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »

Hehehe, I knew you will find a nice SI pinball one day. Wink
This one looks awesome, that painting looks mint, it was professionally restored.
That mystery plane reminds me for the F-117 stealth fighter:

Maybe the Invaders sent it to observe your operation. Grin
Dazza

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »

That mystery plane reminds me for the F-117 stealth fighter:

Maybe the Invaders sent it to observe your operation. Grin

Yup, my exact thoughts too!

Level42
ArcadeLifeStyler'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 12:38:12 PM »

Too low. I can't imagine the US army operating one of those secretly over Belgian/French ground at that height.
Then again, those US guys think they are allowed to do anything Wink

However, what is that thing under the right wing then ? Looks odd..

I think it is this:

Belike
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Budapest, Hungary

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 01:07:09 PM »

Then again, those US guys think they are allowed to do anything Wink
+1
One of these ultra modern stelath bastards was shot down by a hungarian commander in the Serbian war in 1999 with a single rocket, cosntructed by the russians in the 1960's.
Level42
ArcadeLifeStyler'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »

OK but the F117 was flying there under NATO operation...

On who's side were the Hungarians then ?

[EDIT]
Mmm, of course Google helped...http://www.uncoverage.net/2011/01/hungarian-baker-changed-the-worlds-balance-of-power-in-21-seconds/

Nice cake !!

He shot the plane down on march 27 1999

Funny because Hungary joined NATO on march 12 1999...but I guess that baker was working for the Serbs then...

OK we're derailing here Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:29:48 PM by Level42 » Logged

Brry71

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 07:45:06 PM »

Brilliant catch!!!!

Well... I can imagine that it's more fun to tell a story of an alien craft in the wild, and I don't want to be a party pooper here, but I'm quite sure it was something in the proximity of your roof (or maybe on it).... Why? Because the sharpness of the edges are to crisp to be far away. As you can see at other parts in the picture, let's say the tree, as the object is are further away from the roof they become less sharp...

So I would say....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:13:05 PM by Brry71 » Logged

[LOOKING FOR: a license to print money.....
Q*ris
ArcadeLifeStyler'

CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 01:49:02 PM »

Cool road trip story.
I really enjoyed it especially the beginning.
I never can get enough of those "back in the days" arcade stories and I can totally relate to that one.
You should make a podcast too Bruno with the full stories behind why you wanted this or that particular game.  Wink
DarthNuno
Administrator
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Singe's castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 03:40:50 PM »

Well, I presume I won't never have an answer regarding that UFO? Anyway, I'm happy it happened during that 'Space Invaders' road trip... nice coincidence isn't it? Let's keep that mystery as a part of 'magic' in this story  Wink

Ok, let's finish the road trip. I need to get it out the of car...

These parts are easy to move on alone...

...but what about this?  Huh?  arrow

Fortunately, my neighbor is very cool and -as always- ready to help me on any 'arcade life style' stories, like unloading such 'things'  Wink Kiss

More than that... the usual question : where to put it? V1 and V2 are already full of games... and this pinball is not a small one  Undecided
Mhhh what about the living room? But there are already a lot of games in the house, especially in the living room? So what?

No other choice... once more in the living room!!!  Cool  oppps  Grin  arrow

I promise it's the last one, Darling  Roll Eyes Tongue Grin

Etienne MacGyver
ArcadeLifeStyler'

The Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »

I promise it's the last one, Darling  Roll Eyes Tongue Grin

Grin Grin Grin Yeah right, we all heard that before  Grin Grin Grin

Looking for Repro Decals ?  Visit my webstore !  arrow  http://www.easywebshop.com/arcadedecals
Belike
ArcadeLifeStyler'

Budapest, Hungary

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 06:56:53 PM »

I guess you told her the same when you got that Computer Space. Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: