Author Topic: [Roadtrip] Dig Dug - nothing can beat FREE  (Read 56090 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Roadtrip] Dig Dug - nothing can beat FREE
« on: March 24, 2011, 07:13:32 PM »

Last saturday, a euro dig dug was offered up on a german arcade forum for nothing more than a crate of beer. the first binding promise would get it! although i prefer the american dig dug over the euro version, nothing beats free. PLUS only recently i had picked up a cocktail table glass bezel for the "seller", so this would be a nice chance for the exchange. even better: the pickup location was pretty close!

so i typed my reply, waited a couple of hours and finally got the answer i was hoping was: it's yours, ully!!! :-*

making an appointment was very easy, so a mere couple of days later right after school on wednesday i jumped into my car and headed off. here's what's coming up :arrow:

statistics for starters

a little less than 150 kilometers - a piece of cake!

don't forget to bring "the money" ;)

there's an important election coming up this sunday (well, at least some people think so), so election posters are everywhere >:(. but as you guys know, i don't care anymore about politics, more important is that the weather rockzzz!!!

on the road, there's a lot of digging going on

i'm passing by the famous egg-shaped 3d imax movie theater

upon approaching nuremberg, signs warn the driver of traffic jams - and here we go!

i'm "creepcrawling" into the city

anyone care for a used car? ;) :P

arriving at the seller's location, the gates are closed

open sesame 8)

the first thing you see upon entering is a bunch of old american cars. this is not the seller's profession, but his hobby: he imports them from the states and then restores them to former glory!

when he was in the usa, he found this one sitting by the side of the road and brought it over

another nice one inside (at least if you care for cars)

also inside, some arcade games ...

... and what i came for: the euro dig dug!

the cab is in ok condition, monitor is working, but displays only garbage on the screen. my first plan of attack (when the game eventually reaches the front of the restoration assembly line in 2018) is to remove that ugly woodgrain vinyl and slap on the fabulous us sideart. although the cab shape is a little bit different, i'm pretty sure it's going to fit if i have it printed on white with enough spare vinyl around it! dig dug deserves some nice sideart - such an awesome game!

the overlay is ok for now ...

... but will eventually be replaced! just recently a german guy has done a full restoration of the euro dig dug and he's going to send me the vector file of the cpo so that i can have it printed

the cab loaded up in my car

it even came with the original manual - man, i want to pump up those monsters badly :twisted:

on my way back, more digging ...

... and some serious dugging going on

statistics for experts

one country, two counties, 299 kilometers, 4 hours 40 minutes on the road - this roadtrip is OFFICIALLY OVER!

saying goodbye to another nice roadtrip - and remember: nothing can beat FREE! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:03:40 AM by DarthNuno »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Vnera

• View Profile
Re: [Roadtrip] Dig Dug - nothing can beat FREE
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »
Free!!

And whit some side art the cab wile look just as good as a American version!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 08:53:16 PM »
However much I hate woodgrain, it's original and it should stay ! Boo-hoo.

Nice catch though !

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:23:46 PM »
Nice and free (almost ... the case of beer  :D) great catch Ully congrats  :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »
I really like this cab, nice catch Ully! ;)
Does it have the original Atari pcb?

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »
Nice catch, it was worth the price ;)

Ully, where are the images of the inside of the machine, you lazy dutchman  :D
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 11:16:36 PM »
Not so easy to find for that price nowadays, congrats!
...and if the seller ever cares for throwing a Q-bert or a blue DK in the trunk of one of his imported cars, I'm always OK to share the shipping costs  ;)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »
Nice catch, it was worth the price ;)

Ully, where are the images of the inside of the machine, you lazy dutchman  :D
Ully is german. ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 11:29:18 PM »
I think he's very aware of that....probably a joke.....

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 11:48:45 PM »
Woodgrain should stay. If you are lucky it will have the Namco version pcb.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 07:00:43 AM »
Woodgrain should stay.

woodgrain sucks, but i agree that it is original ...

If you are lucky it will have the Namco version pcb.

i'm no expert in pcbs at all. the seller had an additional set of dig dug pcbs (which he kept for himself), those were two pcbs stacked on top of each other and he told me the didn't fit in the cab because the pcbs in the cab had a connector on top of the pcb which his spare set didn't have. additionally, the pcbs inside the cabinet (there are two of them) are sitting next to and not on top of each other. here's a picture i have from the inside of the cab (which was taken by the seller).

@alpha1: why lucky? anything special about the namco version? is it hard to find a replacement? i'm just asking because a guy on klov had a similar screen problem and in his case the pcb was shot!

@bela: didn't you bring a pcb from your abandoned warehouse trip? which version do you have?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 07:02:24 AM »
Nice catch Ully !

now how are you going to check the sideart to see if it fits ?  ;) :wink: ;) :lol: :P 8)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 07:11:23 AM »
now how are you going to check the sideart to see if it fits ?  ;) :wink: ;) :lol: :P 8)

don't know if i even want to do it because of the originality factor - however, that woodgrain looks so lame compared to the us version. will have plenty of time to think about it though ...

regarding that pcb: i've just checked, the atari version is one large board, i don't know which version the seller had with those tow boards on top of each other. i'll ask him for pics!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 07:45:22 AM »

@bela: didn't you bring a pcb from your abandoned warehouse trip? which version do you have?

There was an original Dig Dug, but it's pcb was a  Double Dragon (non working) :-\

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 09:32:35 AM »

There was an original Dig Dug, but it's pcb was a  Double Dragon (non working) :-\

Quite a lot of the Atari Ireland Namco licensed machines had Namco pcbs as I guess it was just the same length of time to get them than ordering from Atari in the USA.

US Atari Namco licensed games all have the Atari version boards.

I put the value of a Namco boardset (DigDug, Galaga, Pole Position etc) at a far higher value than the Atari equivilent.

In regards to DigDug, Atari 'stretched' the pcb out to fit it in the cabinet. You have a normal 2 layer pcb that has just been opened flat.

Oliver