Author Topic: [Roadtrip] It's not a race (anymore), it's a RALLY  (Read 102364 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: [Roadtrip] It's not a race (anymore), it's a RALLY
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 09:03:12 PM »
AFAIK Ully has a Canon DSLR that "shows some mileage" but obviously still works great :)

I LOVE THAT CAB !!! Glad you got it !!!

I was just 6 when that cab was built....geez.... :D

I LOVE that full TV in there :) Look at the cool: Solid State note on it (not tubes man, fully transistorized, wow ! (compare to CS, full-tube TV in that one))

I was kind of right about the marquee looking much like a Dymo letter-print ;D. That will clean up nicely ! (Is there any lighting behind it ? Guess not)

I do see one problem with the PCB though. The processor is missing ! ;) ;) ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »
AFAIK Ully has a Canon DSLR that "shows some mileage" but obviously still works great :)

i do have a canon DSLR indeed - one point for andré :) one of the first digital cameras canon made but still worth its money (paid 1800 euros for it back then), but when i compare it to the latest model my friend has ... what a difference!

however, this time i didn't bring my enormous heavy DSLR, but a lighter canon pocket camera i "borrowed" from school. you don't have many options there, but the picture quality ain't bad either. however, it's not about the camera, it's about the guy who takes the photos ...  ;) ;) ;) 8) 8) 8)

I LOVE THAT CAB !!! Glad you got it !!!

me too, i'm still celebrating!

I LOVE that full TV in there :) Look at the cool: Solid State note on it (not tubes man, fully transistorized, wow ! (compare to CS, full-tube TV in that one))

sounds cool, although i have no idea what you're talking about!  :P

I was kind of right about the marquee looking much like a Dymo letter-print ;D. That will clean up nicely ! (Is there any lighting behind it ? Guess not)

it will clean up nicely for sure. unfortunately, there is no light behind it, the marquee is integrated into the fiberglass and cannot be removed. i'm sure it would look kickass if there were some kind of light behind it.

I do see one problem with the PCB though. The processor is missing ! ;) ;) ;)

yeah man, who stole it? give it back to me! must be a gang operating on a higher, well-organized level (42?), because they also stole the processor from the pong pcbs! have a look at the original pong board in comparison to the rally bootleg - what a blatant rip-off!

@bruno: thx for the fabulous banner - wonderfully executed as always!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 09:29:22 PM »

while i'm working on different parts of the machine, i still would like to know the function of that switch on the pcb

PLUS could you guys help me with measuring voltages if i provided you with scans from the manual? i can measure voltages on a switcher, but those huge power blocks with their tons of cables are too much for me atm. whatever your answer is, i'll make some scans ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 11:03:23 PM »
testmode maybe  ??? or freeplay  ???

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 11:06:26 PM »
Well, what does the Pong manual say ?

I'd be VERY glad that it is so much alike the original because that makes chances of fixing it/getting it fixed a lot higher....

The good thing about Pong games: you can't MAME them :P

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 11:36:31 PM »

while i'm working on different parts of the machine, i still would like to know the function of that switch on the pcb

PLUS could you guys help me with measuring voltages if i provided you with scans from the manual? i can measure voltages on a switcher, but those huge power blocks with their tons of cables are too much for me atm. whatever your answer is, i'll make some scans ;)

You can ask Marco, he's got a Rally too.
Take a look at this site.

Matteo

Laschek

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 10:42:28 AM »

Many early (Atari) games have this kind of switches, Breakout FI uses them for 1 or 2 credits per coin and number of balls (3 or 5), so my guess it's purpose is something in that direction. Like a DIP switch substitute.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 01:50:41 PM »
Many early (Atari) games have this kind of switches, Breakout FI uses them for 1 or 2 credits per coin and number of balls (3 or 5), so my guess it's purpose is something in that direction. Like a DIP switch substitute.

yeah, but don't you see the writing on the side of the switch? looks as if it has something to do with voltages ...

@sascha: have you scanned the rally manual? if not, i'll do that later!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 02:06:28 PM »
is there no mention in the manual for this switch ?

The link from italiandoh gives a picture called "optionswitch"
the question is what option  ???

Laschek

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 03:23:02 PM »
yeah, but don't you see the writing on the side of the switch? looks as if it has something to do with voltages ...

This is just the technical specification for the switch itself. I'm sure it's some kind of option switch, you don't select any voltages or anything.

@sascha: have you scanned the rally manual? if not, i'll do that later!

I don't have one ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:25:37 PM by Laschek »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »
ok, i've just scanned and uploaded the complete rally manual (don't know how to clean it though) - you can grab it here!

perhaps someone can tell me after checking the manual what that switch on the pcb is for ...

now to my next problem: checking the voltages! what follows are two pages from the manual - who can tell me how / where to check for correct voltages? i'd like to have that baby up and running before christmas :)

in case you need the corresponding "live picture" of the power block again: here you go :arrow:

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 05:51:05 PM »
Wow, nice catch Ully, that is an incredible looking machine, and damn old!  :)

I like the way it looks from the inside, so empty. I suppose that you are going to exchange the TV because of the burn in. You should be able to find another B/W TV easily, here in Holland they are very common on Marktplaats.

I wish you good luck and lots of pleasure restoring this cab to a nice working condition, shouldn't be a problem with all the tech guys here on board.  ;D

By the way, I also scored a Pong machine machine very recently:  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 06:10:47 PM »
Wow, nice catch Ully, that is an incredible looking machine, and damn old!  :)

thx erik, but if that machine is damn old, what am i? ;)

I suppose that you are going to exchange the TV because of the burn in. You should be able to find another B/W TV easily, here in Holland they are very common on Marktplaats.

as strange as it may sound because of my "analness" regarding restorations, i could care less about burn-in. to me, this is what shows the history of a cab. PLUS there is a black plexiglass bezel on top of the television (you can see it on the picture where the tv is still in the cabinet) which takes away most of the burn-in. if i were to find the exact same tv model, i might consider replacing it though!

By the way, I also scored a Pong machine machine very recently:  ;)

i've got an pong atari home console here. if i failed to repair the game, i could always put this one in making this some kind of "mame-ification" ;)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »

The good thing about Pong games: you can't MAME them :P

Mame can't emulate it, but it has been simulated in Mame. I still have it in one of my mame setups. You can also still play it in misfitmame.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 08:49:34 PM »
Well start measuring these: