Author Topic: Personal gameroom!  (Read 9339 times)

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
Personal gameroom!
« on: November 25, 2010, 10:46:14 PM »
I haven't been here for some months, as I injured my spine this summer. It's nice to be back, although I'm recovering slowly. :)

I have been wanting my own gameroom for some years now. I was looking for a house with a basement for my games when we moved this spring, but finding the perfect house proved difficult. They were either too expensive, too old or the location was wrong.
We ended up with a semi-detached house located at the outskirts of a quiet neighborhood. Although it doesn't have a basement, the previous owner had built a shed in the garden, which is fully insulated and therefore suitable for our cold winters. I measured the shed, ensuring that I could fit at least 4 pinballs and 4-5 arcade games inside. I even double checked the ceiling height, and made sure that a normal pinball game (without topper) would be ok.

What I didn't do, was to make sure that the door was actually wide enough to fit a game. It turned out it was just 70 cm wide!
I called my father, who promised to help me get a new door and fit it. As I injured my spine this summer, I depend on more help than usual for a while.
Although we moved in at the end of May, it was September before I was able to do anything at all. My father didn't have the time to help me yet, so I started tidying up all the empty cartons and boxes we had stuffed into the shed while moving, and also disassembling some shelves the previous owner had made.

The floor is quite rough, but I'm sure it will clean up nicely. I'm planning to paint it, so all the dark spots will be hidden.
Most of them are from the previous owner fixing his motorcycle, and there is also a lot of dirt just inside the door, from walking in with shoes.

The walls and ceiling look nice already, all covered with plasterboard.

..to be continued.  :)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Personal gameroom!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 10:52:51 PM »
It's good to see you here again, welcome back, and I wish you a good recovery.

Nice place you have there for your games. I will follow this topic with interest. What ideas do you have for internal decoration, walls, lights, etc?

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 11:01:41 PM »
ckong: Thanks! As I said, it's wonderful to be back. :)

My plans are quite simple. I will remove the small door on the front, and also the window (to prevent the sun fading the games). Where the door is currently is actually the worst position, as that wall is the most exposed to the weather. Inside I will clean up the floor, and paint it and the walls.
I have some framed game posters which I will use for decoration, and I have also been considering getting some Asteroid decals for the emptiest wall. The new door will be on the left side (when seeing the shed from the front). The arcade games will be along the wall where the current door is, and the pinballs along the opposite wall.

I have actually come quite a bit further, so I just have to gather the pictures and type some words. :) I hope I can update again tomorrow.

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 11:58:07 PM »
Glad to hear you're recovering!
Mmmh your gameroom is really inspiring me because I have the same kind of shed in the back of my garden.
Not insulated at all though... I will inquire on the costs of insulating it, that might end up cheaper (and way more convenient) than renting a storage space.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 06:25:16 AM »
Welcome back slowcade, good to hear you are recovering !
Wich you all the best

Nice shed !

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 07:12:18 PM »
Welcome back and have fun organizing your game room!!  :wink:
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 07:13:53 PM »
Welcome back slowcade  :)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 07:17:55 PM »
Indeed welcome back! - hope the "cadelunatic" will help you further! ;)
And nice Shed! (Remember... "The Shed®" is a registrated trademark... ®) and by the way, that´s Nunos fault!  :D :spaceace:

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 08:13:46 PM »
Welcome back  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 09:05:44 PM »
Thank you for all the kind words! :) Here is an update.

It took some time before my father had time to help me fit the new door. And in the meantime, disaster struck.. The first snow fell! Winter is approaching fast, and I would want to finish the shed before the weather makes it impossible.
We couldn't let the snow stop us, though. We finally got the new 90x190 door fitted, but not without difficulties. It wasn't level in the beginning, so we drilled more holes in the door frame than necessary. I'll have to find a way to cover them up.
The door was level in the end, but we realized that it didn't close easily. At that time it was already late afternoon, and my father had to leave. We agreed to work on it another day, but it's looking nice already. I actually have a door which is wide enough to bring games inside the shed!

It was stupid of me not to paint the door when I had it stored in the garage while waiting for my father. I'm covering it with plastic and hoping for warmer weather.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 09:10:57 PM »
...and when I see the snow, I think you'll have the same problem than me. We owns external game rooms, with no connexion to your houses.
When you'll want to play your games, you'll be sometime too lazy or you'll afraid of being cold...and so ... you won't go outside, and stay quiet, warm inside your house  :P :oops:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »
...and when I see the snow, I think you'll have the same problem than me. We owns external game rooms, with no connexion to your houses.
When you'll want to play your games, you'll be sometime too lazy or you'll afraid of being cold...and so ... you won't go outside, and stay quiet, warm inside your house  :P :oops:
Exactly my problem.

My Judge Dredd is in my living room right now and I do a lot of work on it (and play too ;) ) because it's simply there and it's warm....and there's lots of room to move around it...It really makes me want to have any cab I'm working on at that spot....

Nice shed and hope you recover well Slowcade.

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 11:32:38 PM »

Yes, definitely. It makes me a bit sad that I had to give up my dream of having a convenient basement with space for all my games. But I guess I'll have to wait for another couple of years, until we move again.  :-\
At least this is the second best option, and the room temperature is ok. And it will hopefully be even more tempting to go outside during all the months without snow. :)
PS: It's approximately -18°C here now, and getting colder. :shock:

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 11:40:34 PM »
My Judge Dredd is in my living room right now and I do a lot of work on it (and play too ;) ) because it's simply there and it's warm....and there's lots of room to move around it...It really makes me want to have any cab I'm working on at that spot....

Nice shed and hope you recover well Slowcade.

Thanks!  :)
To have a garden shed is actually a big improvement for me, because until now I've rented a gameroom with 9 other guys. It's a 10 minute drive away from home. Not only is it inconvenient because of the distance, but it's a bit difficult keeping your tools, equipment and parts in their place, and difficult to do any restoration work at all.
I'm not saying that I'll suddenly be very effective and restore all my games (not even I believe that), but at least the new gameroom is much more accessible.  :D

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 03:16:28 PM »
brrrrrr. That looks cold!  Hope you get everything set before "hard core winter" sets in!    Hope you'll be better asap!!   :D