Author Topic: Personal gameroom!  (Read 9346 times)

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
Re: Personal gameroom!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 06:55:28 PM »
The snow disappeared again, and it was time to remove the old door. I didn't have the materials needed to cover up the window, and it would have to be ordered. Winter is coming fast, so I decided to keep the window until spring and just remove the old door for now.

The job didn't take much time outside, but fitting the plaster boards inside was more tedious. The weather forecast said that it would rain all week, so I rushed the outside job a bit. A bit too much, I later discovered. I should have used a string or something to keep the bottom edge of the wall level, because it ended up crooked. It's not a big deal, I will fix it in spring, when I'm covering up the window anyway.

Here is a picture of the end result, after the forecasted rain and snow had already fallen:

Time went by while waiting for my father to come help me adjust the door. I lost some motivation, and I didn't do much for almost two weeks. Until one day I discovered by accident that the door suddenly moved smoothly!  :)

I plastered all the gaps and holes in the plasterboard inside. It was more time consuming than I had expected, because I had to go three rounds to make it flush with the boards. The end result was by no means perfect, but good enough for such a shed.

The floor was still a mess, and the individual floor boards made a very uneven surface. I got it sanded down a bit, which removed the biggest differences in height.
The floor also looked a lot better after some rounds with the vaccuum cleaner and a wash.

Painting the walls and ceiling went quite fast, as I used a long extension pole and rollers. That way I also avoided straining my back. I simply chose a white colour, which I regret a bit now. I thought it would make the room seem large, open and clean, but I'm not so sure after seeing the result. I think it looks more like a hospital wall, and I'm afraid it will get dirty and ugly fast. I am actually considering to repaint it dark blue, which I'm sure will look better with my framed posters and my plans for lighting. :? :ghost:

The weather forecast said that it would get very cold Tuesday night, with temperatures down to -15°C. :o Even worse, the cold period would last for two weeks and possibly longer, with temperatures decreasing down to -20 °C. :shock: I had two pinball games in the garage, and I definitely wanted to get them into the shed before the temperature dropped. So I gave the floor two fast coats of floor paint.

I think the result was very nice! However, I had a concern before painting it. I would have to use masking tape on the painted wall plastered board, and I was afraid it would rip the paint right off. I asked at the shop (who said that it would not be a problem) and bought their least sticky masking tape.  However, the paint really did come off in places. :evil:

It's not a big deal, but a bit of extra work. In a strange way, this made me want even more to repaint the walls and ceiling dark blue. Maybe because I hardly have any white paint left, so I will have to buy more paint anyway.

Two of my friends came to help me carry the pinballs from the garage to the shed, just before the worst temperatures kicked in. ;D
I covered the window with some heavy black carton to avoid the sun bleaching the cabinets.

It's a wonderful feeling to have the games in a warm 20°C room, while it's -15°C outside! ;D They are still just in the middle of the room, and not connected, as I'm seriously considering to cover them up and spend a couple of hours repainting the walls and ceiling.

It's so cold outside that the snow has crystallized. :shock: It's beautiful to look at, but it's more comfortable to stay indoors at the moment. :)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »
Fast and efficient that's how I like it!
I can't wait to see a picture of it once the games will be installed.
What kind of insulation are you using for the walls and floor by the way?

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 07:52:42 PM »
What kind of insulation are you using for the walls and floor by the way?

The shed was actually already insulated when I got it. The previous owner used glass wool. Almost everyone use that here, and the only other alternative seems to be rock wool.

I've had more back pain the last few days, so progress has been slow lately. I'm hoping that I can repaint the walls and ceiling and put the games into place next week. :) I also need to cover the gap around the door, and maybe if the temperature rises above zero I can also paint the door outside.