Author Topic: Vectorize the Namco Galaxian bezel  (Read 70560 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Vectorize the Namco Galaxian bezel
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »
Time for a project guys!  ;D

Some time ago i scanned the Crazy kong bezel for Bela.

He asked me a question;
"Hi Etienne,
Just wanted to ask you what do you think about this scan.
Is it good enough to make a vectorized file from it?"

I responded;
"I think its possible, i like to try to start learning adobe Illustrator, But as you know, learning and graphics take time, so if you are not in a hurry, i can try to do the vectorising.
so in this way i have 2 advantages, 1. Im learning 2. I can help somebody ..

I looked at the file and realised that the position of the buttons are critical, if not correct, he must modify his CP..

So after alot of mailing about measurements we managed to have the correct measurements for the button holes.
Also i send these measurements to muerto who has a namco galaxian too to verify the measurements.

The rest starts from here   :)
First of all i want to thank my friend Bas from Laforma (click contact to see the dude's face  ;D)
Who teach me the basics in illustrator, and also is the person who is going to show me to finalize the file so it is ready for printing, and helped me through this. Big thanks to you bas !  :spaceace:

A pic of bela's current beautiful bezel  :lol:

The scan after modifications that i send back to bela and later to muerto.

The pic of the cab with the same measurements for verification (bela and muerto did a lot of "physical" measuring)
Thank you guys for that!

When i did the global setup from the current measurements and using the scan as a refference, it looked out of position.
Time to build it from scratch in AI...
I created some shots of measurements and since Bela does not have a bezel, i send it to muerto who was kind enough to measure everything more than once..

After the basic shapes where ready it was time for the "galaxy"
To start i cut out the galaxy from the scan and later cleaned the file a little
The moons i cut out and run  that through Vector magic, wich saved me alot of time since they are curved etc etc.

The stars in cose-up after vectorising
Later i can "throw" them in the bezel

Then Bela send me another pic of a bezel as a refference, wich also had the extra text "manufactured by f.lli Bertolino"
He asked me if i could put that text in too.
Also i already created a custom instruction card, wich was very nice and accepted by both muerto and Bela, but as you can see in this picture it is not the original.

I searched for some fonts that looked like it and send some examples to Bela, and he choose one that i also thought was the closest of the set

We compared it to the original wich looks like this

After some "reshaping" the text its in position
also here was the custom instructioncard wich we decided to change

I extracted the instruction card wich was in Bela's bezel picture and started to recreate the aliens
Here some before and after shots

Now that my new friends where al together its time to give them a nice place in a new instruction card  ;)

Since the original card did not have a "bonus value" i decided to put the factory default of 7000 points

After all the text recreation and positioning i made a black border around it

New instruction card in place

As you can see i finished the bezel so far, and im now busy with a printer here in holland who can print on vinyl and bla bla bla bla bla so for now thats it, and ill keep you guy's posted when there are developments  ;)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:01:49 AM by Etienne [NL] »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: Vectorize the Namco Galaxian bezel
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:41:50 AM »
what an incredible effort for the community, etienne - extraordinary job!

one thing i realized immediately though on the following picture:

the line on the alien ship where the red and yellow colors are are not thick enough in comparison to the original! ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 09:53:56 AM »
will correct that  ;)  thanks for the tip

Also if anybody has the correct color values, they are more than welcome, since i picked them from the scan...
I dont have any other refference..

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »
Always very brave to see people take these quests in Illustrator.
The world would have a lot less RSI and frustration if Adobe never started to bundle this Crap-App for free with Photoshop.
If you are a noob on vector-drawing, and want get to nice results fast, dig up a classic from the past:
www.freefreehand.org :D
With cp and bezel artwork, its famous "copy-paste inside" command is worth zillions.
I often say that Apple fanboys suffer from Stockholm Syndrome, but the ones that really suffer this are hard core Illustrator users. OMG, poor people!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:59:37 AM »
what an incredible effort for the community, etienne - extraordinary job!

one thing i realized immediately though on the following picture:

the line on the alien ship where the red and yellow colors are are not thick enough in comparison to the original! ;)

It has been corrected..

ps. i dont want to do flaming to apple users, but i am using the windows version of CS5
I am a die hard windows user  :twisted:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
This......is brilliant ! Even though I don't own a Namco Galaxian, I think every, and especially this, piece of arcade artwork deserves to be saved for the future !

I hope the full art of Namco Galaxian will be done eventually.

How are you guys planning on making the repro ?

How is the original, I think it is glass ?

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 11:07:59 AM »
but i am using the windows version of CS5
I always wonder how people can pay all those updates. Sigh. Still working on CS1.
Oh, and the two lines inside the galaxian are also too thick. I guess the outer line is constant thickness (it would make sense to draw the exterior shape, and paste four colour surfaces inside that), and the two black lines inside are half size or so. But it is splitting hair. The galaxian is probably 8mm or so in real.

One thing that does bother me, is the black trim around the instruction card. It suffers from the Illustrator round corner bug (it stretches the corners together with the rectangle, so the X-size is larger than the Y size), and I think it looks better if the black line is constant thickness (now the inner and outer path have the same diameter corners).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:12:40 AM by Blanka »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 11:12:35 AM »
Yes that was exactly what I wanted to say...

CS5......pay ? For home use ? mmmmm :D

Etienne, don't worry about your Windows hardcore feelings, you're still a nice guy, everyone of us has his weak spots.... ;D ;D ;D

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 11:14:01 AM »
CS5......pay ? For home use ? mmmmm :D
I would want to sell those replacement stickers after that hours of work ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
Oh, and the two lines inside the galaxian are also too thick. I guess the outer line is constant thickness (it would make sense to draw the exterior shape, and paste four colour surfaces inside that), and the two black lines inside are half size or so. But it is splitting hair. The galaxian is probably 8mm or so in real.

One thing that does bother me, is the black trim around the instruction card. It suffers from the Illustrator round corner bug (it stretches the corners together with the rectangle, so the X-size is larger than the Y size), and I think it looks better if the black line is constant thickness (now the inner and outer path have the same diameter corners).

two more adjustments i need to do...  :D

about the full set, i was planning a trip to denmark, when my new car is here, now since that is delayed till end of jan 2011  :evil:, i will not visit muerto untill next year.

but when i go there i will bring my scanner  ;)

I have some tips from my friend bas, there is a printer who can print it on vinyl and laminate that for scratch proof, and the price is nice so im going to give that a try just to see how it turns out
the bezel is one piece of 3mm plexi according to muerto
unless i can find a glass company who can drill the holes i think i will use plexi
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:24:13 PM by Etienne [NL] »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 05:18:50 PM »
2 corrections made...

It reminds me of a great 80's song by the way  :D

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:04:39 PM by Etienne MacGyver »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 07:01:48 PM »
As you can see Etienne was mastered himself in graphic designing, I'm sending my huge thanks to him! ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 09:33:36 PM »
AWESOME work (and post) Etienne  :o !

Congratulation for what you've done so far... Impressive!  :) This Galaxian version deserves it!  ;)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 10:58:47 PM »
You're a super fast learner, G-R-E-A-T meticulous job!!!
Tip: To find the name of fonts I always use what the font, it's very efficient.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 11:46:09 PM »
OK, turning anal mode on:

I think the font of this part:

is not very close....especially the Y for instance.

The font looks pretty general to me, since you're putting in so much effort now anyway, isn't it worth to do a little more hunting ?

Maybe the guys on the BYOAC forum (the Artwork section right here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/board,13.0.html ) can help ? There are some masters on there...

Just a suggestion of course !

Also, the text on the repro seems to be much wider in size. It starts almost right next to the white edge on the left, while on the picture of the original there is much more dark blue between that white edge and the left side of the text...

Anal mode off.....(this sounds......uhm......rather .......weird).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:50:26 PM by Level42 »