Author Topic: A couple of great finds: Punch-Out!! and Paperboy  (Read 17574 times)

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
A couple of great finds: Punch-Out!! and Paperboy
« on: October 19, 2010, 09:45:35 PM »
Hi all,

even if a little off of the forum due to firewall issues (I am at work most of the time, and the firewall in my office stops my connection with dragonslairfans… damn!), I have some time now to show something I am proud to share with you… my new cabinets: Paperboy and Punch-Out!!

Images are not the best ever, but unfortunately I could store the machines only in a little room at my father’s place… at home I have no more free space :(

Paperboy: it’s in bad aesthetic conditions, but complete. No sidearts at all, there is wood damage at the bottom (not water damage, but “handling with no-care” damage), the bike controller is rusted but the CPO is in very good conditions. Some random image following:

After a fast cleaning on the internal parts (especially on electric components, just to avoid shorts) I lit it up: the image was garbaged, but with the paperboy image correct and words ok… I tried to reset all the socketed ROMs and chips, but nothing changed.

I have a couple of boards (different boards: i saw on the net there are at least 2 different video boards, not sure if the CPU board is the same or not) and I plan to substitute the “broken” video board with the other one… anyone know if the CPU board is different between the 2 versions?

video board A, ROM detail: the installed one with garbaged image

Video board B, ROM detail: untested

Can you see the differencies? Board A has 11 ROMs in one row, board B has instead 11 + 4 ROMs disposed in 2 rows... this makes me wait for a confirmation on the compatibility of the CPU boards before swapping the video boards...  :?

Punch-Out: this machine has only a piece of sideart on the left side, there’s only little wood damage, the control panel is not the original and the machine was hacked with a prejamma harness… I was lucky because there was still the original harness and game inside and in approx 5 hours I was able to lit it up… at first I had wrong colors and no speech (the audio was there, but I had not the digital voice)… but the game was working!!. Those where easy fixes anyhow: the image was wrong because connectors that give input signals where in the “inverted” position (“non inverted” is instead the right one) and the speech had gone because the left speaker had been disconnected with the new harness (did you know? The main music and effects are delivered from the PCB through one monitor to the right speaker, voices are delivered through the second monitor to the left speaker… original, isn’t it? In addition the volume control is separated so you can level up the voice maintaining music on the foreground… nice effect!). The upper monitor needs total recap (I really need the manual for this monitor…), but works.

Some random image:

Anyone has a spare Punch-out!! CP? I will buy it NOW ;)

PS: is this site reliable? http://www.garagearcade.com/control_panels
I had some emailing with the guy and he looks ok and helpful

"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of great finds: Punch-Out!! and Paperboy
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:06:53 PM »
wow, geat catches! how and where did you find those?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »
Nice catch, congrats! ;D
If you want to sell the Punch Out's cp, I'm ready to buy it for a nice price ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 11:11:29 PM »
Yeah nice one's

that CP screams zaccaria  :D

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:07:46 AM »
that CP screams zaccaria  :D
... and disco dancing!

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 09:59:10 AM »
You are from Italy, aren't you? Must be great to find a Punch out, I love that game!
I guess the previous owner imported it from the USA?

Vnera

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 05:37:10 PM »
You are from Italy, aren't you? Must be great to find a Punch out, I love that game!

Must be import.. it says 120V if the would export a cabinet to Europe from the factory it would be 220.
Great finde's how is the Paperboy monitor? Its a mid res monitor IIRC thoso are a pain in the ass to find!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 05:56:11 PM »
Great catch, congratulation  :spaceace:

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 06:45:59 PM »
wow, geat catches! how and where did you find those?

i found the machines very close to my house! There's a guy buying stuff from old warehouses and re-selling almost everithing he buy... luckily people here around are prepared to spend much money on MAMEcabs leaving this "old and bad shaped trash" to crazy guys like me ;)

Nice catch, congrats! ;D
If you want to sell the Punch Out's cp, I'm ready to buy it for a nice price ;)

You have a PM Bela. As i wrote, i wanted to use the CP on my "Punch-Out!!" waiting for an original CP, but it will be better at your home. I need some money to face the Punch Out CP cost so your offer is welcome.

Yes, i am from Italy. Not sure if the machine is an import because it works from the factory with 230V (there is an additional Hantarex PSU clearly visible in one of the photoes, but it was used to juice the pre-jamma harness. Everithing else is original)

Must be import.. it says 120V if the would export a cabinet to Europe from the factory it would be 220.
Great finde's how is the Paperboy monitor? Its a mid res monitor IIRC thoso are a pain in the ass to find!

The monitor works, but i have some sinc problem (the image moves and it's very difficult to stop it moving from up to down or viceversa). It's possible that the problem comes from the PCb which is defective... Ah, anyone had any advice that there are at least a couple of different PCBs? Do you think i can swap the 14 ROMs from one PCB to the one with only 11 ROMs?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:48:49 PM by baritonomarchetto »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 06:51:25 PM »
if there's anything i can do regarding the paperboy, let me know. you might remember that i have one as well, but it's having some graphics issues. i'd need a replacement pcb as well ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 08:39:44 PM »
if there's anything i can do regarding the paperboy, let me know. you might remember that i have one as well, but it's having some graphics issues. i'd need a replacement pcb as well ...

Thanks Ully. Consider that i have never played paperboy in a real arcade. After reading the love you placed in your resto i started play it on my mamecab and... I LIKE IT SO MUCH! When i saw it so close to me I couldn't resist and had to buy, you know... :)

Anyhow, could you show me an image of your PCB? Just to see if there are more than 2 versions and if the one maching is complete... 

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 08:54:19 PM »
After reading the love you placed in your resto i started play it on my mamecab and... I LIKE IT SO MUCH! When i saw it so close to me I couldn't resist and had to buy, you know... :)

thx! i can totally understand that you had to get it - especially because it was close to your place! good luck with your resto, i will - of course - follow it closely! btw, there's news on my joust 2 - more to follow soon! :)

Anyhow, could you show me an image of your PCB? Just to see if there are more than 2 versions and if the one maching is complete...  

sure, no prob! here are two pics i already had on my computer. if you need more, i will pull out the cab and take some new shots!

here's the paperboy cpu :arrow:

and here's the video board (on the right) next to the video board from championship sprint. my paperboy video baord was showing a ram problem, that's why i moved the roms over to the championship sprint board (which is still in the cab). the game was working at first, but - as i've said before - it has now developed some problems. haven't had the muse to look into it yet :P (i hate it when games break down, but that's unfortunately part of the hobby)

you said you have a couple of boards. once you have your game up and running, perhaps you could share some spare parts with me ...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:44:38 PM by Superully »

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 07:30:09 PM »
I cannot see the video board dude  :D

For sure when my machine will be up and running we will share part to let our machines play  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 07:45:47 PM »
I cannot see the video board dude  :D

am i stupid or what? error has been corrected - sorry!

For sure when my machine will be up and running we will share part to let our machines play  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

thx, obviously i'm having some ram issues. your paperboy find made me pull out the machine and work on it again - THX!  ;) 8)

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 07:22:12 PM »
Some new image (and some new question, of course  :lol:)

The control panel: the overlay is in very good conditions and after some cleaning here it is

There are 2 holes on the rightside: there where an ashtray  >:(

The Handlebars are, instead, heavily rusted

I'm not a pro at this, so i will grit using sandpaper (120 grit) and i will spray on it some transparent paint... just to protect the bare metal
First question rises: are there (transparent) primers for metal? If yes, are they "mandatory" (i mean, is priming important like on wood?)

I have just grit the covers of the handlebars and the result is ok for me

Random image: the original grip

Then the last question: how do you remove this?

there's a cylindrical lock in it (they call it "roll pin" on the manual): should it be removed with a hammer?  :o

PS: Bela, i had no time to see for shipping costs today, but i will start my search next monday ;)