Author Topic: [Arcade Visit] For Amusement Only  (Read 8559 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Arcade Visit] For Amusement Only
« on: September 05, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »

two months ago a private arcade called for amusement only openend not too far away from me (about 1 1/4 hours one way). they are open for the public every first saturday of each month. entry fee is 5 euros, all the games are set on freeplay, have a credit button or can be credited by hand and DRINKS ARE CHEAP ;D

yesterday, i went there with a friend to check it out. here's only a couple of pics. note that most of the pics were taken with flash PLUS we arrived pretty late and didn't have a lot of time to test everything!

upon entry, in the smoking lobby, the first thing you see are four non-working video games: missile-x, pole position (who would have guessed it would be working), battlezone and lock'n'chase

then you enter the first "real" room and once again there are a lot of non-working video games stacked on the left, amongst them a marble madness, a centipede and a tank

highlight of those non-working games is definitely a virtuality su 2000 simulator which i was told is almost up and running. can't wait to try this on a later visit

more non-working video games on the right

still in the first room a couple of em games :-* which were all working but one - the space pilot

the absolute highlight of the evening (for the both of us) was the crane game junkyard in which you have to maneuver a crane with the help of a joystick (you can rotate it and move that slide back and forth) and with a lever you move the grabber up and down (opening and closing it with an additional button). the object of the game is to grab as many junk cars at the bottom with your crane and drop them in different chutes. the more cars your get within a certain time, the better your ranking is. you can score extra time when you drop the cars in an illuminated chute! as a bonus there's an 8-track recorder with cool junkyard sounds running in the background which you can check out here!

unfortunately, the scale (which weighs the tons you've dropped) wasn't working properly and there was also a slight problem with the crane itself, but considering that they got it just the day before, they did the best they could to get it up and running. this game is kicking ass and from now on on my wanted list 8)

there were two more em games on the right, one of them HAUNTED HOUSE which is also in my top 3 em game list. those sounds from the 8-track recorder are simply awesome. unfortunately, not all of the targets were working and from what i could tell, the targeting was a little bit off on the bonanza

in the room on the left there are tons and tons of pinballs, newer ones like pinball 2000 star wars and some old em versions as well, but once again i realized that i'm not into pinballs at all - in fact i pretty much hate them, because to me there's no variety in "flippers" at all, all you have are your two paddles! nevertheless, i did take some pics for your guys :P

in the last room, which also has the bar, two couches with cocktail tables (running time pilot and bomb jack), there were more video games (all of them working except one)

two of my favorite games: (rootbeer) tapper and 720 degress. unfortunately, the latter wasn't working :( and the first had such a horrible monitor picture and you had the feeling you were going blind!

conclusion: if you are into pinballs, this is definitely a place worth a visit. if you are into video games, better wait a couple of months until they have more games up and running (they showed me a storage area where they had frogger, dig dug, missile command and some other game i can't remember now). it's a great place to spend a couple of hours though, the people there are extremely friendly and open PLUS - as i've said before - DRINKS ARE CHEAP!!!

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Arcade Visit] For Amusement Only
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:51:50 PM »
Looks like a nice place ully

but like you said, for the games , better to wait a little untill they got everything up and running, wich will be a challenge i think
but thats always the case with 30 year old equipment i guess..

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »
Although some games are not working yet, it still looks like an interesting and nice place. Where exactly is it located? Might pay them a visit one time.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
it's located to the east of frankfurt, you can find all the necessary details in the link i provided at the very top!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:48:01 PM »
never ever seen a dirty harry pin before. wow, will look out for it in the future.

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Atari enthusiast from eastern germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:54:56 PM »
Many thanks Ully for the nice view in the f.a.o. location. it was many games out of order, that makes me unhappy. :'( but a awesome collection.  :spaceace:

i think on the second picture was a steeplechase, not a centi... ;)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 10:46:31 PM »
Thanks for the pics Ully, I love those EM rifle games! ;D

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 09:21:18 AM »
Very promising, i must say!
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 12:09:45 PM »
Love the missile X badass artwork!
I'm definitely a fan of the Taito cabs designs (SI, SI part2, Space Chaser, Zun Zun Block, etc...). So colorful, so "in your face".
Back in the days, how could a kid resist playing a game that looks so cool ? ... well it still works on me anyway  ;D

Oh, and I wanna try Junkyard too!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 12:30:31 PM »
Love the missile X badass artwork!

there was one on ebay germany a couple of months ago (although with the wrong bezel) which didn't sell for 1 euro :(. i was thinking about getting it back then, but decided NOT to go for it, because i only want to have real classic b/w games. i should have probably gone for it though, because it would have been an almost free monitor ...

Oh, and I wanna try Junkyard too!

the next time i'm there, i'm going to shoot a video of it, because i haven't been able to find one on youtube!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 02:00:48 PM »
...1€, damnn I should check ebay Germany more often...
Of course I would have given you the monitor and just put the cab in my living room to use it as a liquor cabinet  ;D
Thanks already for the video of the junkyard, had never seen that game before.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »
i've tried to get in touch with the seller since, because he had told me he had another spare monitor, but he doesn't reply to my messages  >:(

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »
Well if you ever hear from him and don't "need" the cab, please send me a PM... You'll take care of the monitor, I'll take care of the liquor part  ::)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Well if you ever hear from him and don't "need" the cab, please send me a PM... You'll take care of the monitor, I'll take care of the liquor part  ::)

definitely a DEAL!!!