Author Topic: My Cliff Hanger WORLD RECORD ? -STOLEN- !!!  (Read 6788 times)

MacDLSA

• View Profile
My Cliff Hanger WORLD RECORD ? -STOLEN- !!!
« on: August 24, 2010, 11:18:18 AM »
Fall 1984, "SIM Hi-Fi IVES" electronic entertainment expo, Milan (Italy)

Leaving all that I saw "outside" the world of video games, me and 2 other friends were kinda' delighted about the various LaserGames
we could saw all in one single place: Astron Belt, Bega's Battle, Dragon's Lair and Space Ace ( Italian "Atari by Sidam" versions),
FireFox, Interstellar, Laser Grand Prix, Mach3, Star Rider (! FANTASTIC cab, "sitdown motorcycle" version !) and... Cliff Hanger !
Well, I can assure you that we three guys and with about 3000 Liras/each in coins reached our goal to see Cliffy finished !
That is to say that the game is "EASY", no doubt, although some screens require sequences of moves rather close together...

In the winter of the same year Cliffy came in the Arcade "Jolly Blue" of our town and, as you can imagine, the game took us a very little
time not only to complete it all but also to "defeat" it in every way. I mean we reached the "perfect score", typical of all the
"moves-based" LaserGames, that has to be "studied" (in this case quite briefly...) in the way to get as many points as possible
by sacrificing all the lives available but the last one (used, of course, to complete the game) at a certain point and then repeat the
same "profitable" (in terms of scoring) sequence of moves!
I remember very well (not like it was yesterday...) that just us three alone had always owned the "perfect score", and that primacy was
maintained until the game was took off from that arcade !
This score was (and still is ...) 1.350.000 pts. !

Turning now to the the "core" of the debate as well as by topic title:

Just three years ago I recorded a Cliff Hanger game, played on my Daphne cab, with the dipswitches set on "competiton" mode, just like
it IS IMPOSED by "Twin Galaxies" !
Well, my score of 1.350.000 points was a bit larger than the previous undefeated record of 1.310.000 pts. obtained, by the way, by a
good friend of mine, member of the Daphne Team like I am, too! Imagine his surprise when I told him that his performance, also verified
by a court (... a random name: Walter Day!) was not a "perfect", although it was indicated as "% of completion equal to 100" on
the T.G. page! So, in order to authenticate my record I sent them (I mean to Twin Galaxies...) my ORIGINAL Mini-DV videotape (copies
were not admitted because plausible of editing, which would allegedly falsified the score!). Obviously the "package" included
a letter that as well as presenting myself related that "far from the years" experience which you could have just read the "summary"
at the very beginning of this same post!

Well... since now I have still heard ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of that package, that videotape and that letter...

Of course I tried many times, in many ways to contact someone of Twin Galaxies...
Nobody has EVER answered!
And this even BEFORE the envoys of the pack!
Not an email, not a message... even in any other pleasant place on the Internet or on the Earth!
NOTHING!
I tried to ask to some American friends of the Daphne Team and of D-L-P, but none of them send back to me a plausible justification for it...
Some of these friends also had opportunity to talk with Walter Day during various american videogames manifestations and/or conventions
like the CAX, so they directly told him that thing happened to me...
Results, as well?
NO ANSWERS !
NOTHING !

[ N.D:Marco: I always thought there could have been one answer that those friends would not refer to me...
"Who care about a "not-american" being here with us in OUR record table ?"
... probably these have been the words ... ]

After that "incident" I was not satisfied, so I tried and tried several times to contact TG but... nothing! ...NOTHING EVER !!!

After all this time I had kinda' removed the anger which I had filled up, since a few days ago "someone" in the Daphne chatroom reminded
me that I still have that "elusive" world record by Cliff Hanger to authenticate...
This was just before my holiday period, that is now unfortunately over :( !
So I tried again to contact TG and in the meantime I went to see the page on the world record of Cliff Hanger...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... please go look in there and then imagine my face when I saw it ...

http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.as...i=5497&vi=2721

Congratulations !!!
Not to that recordman, but to who has assigned the score 3 years after he knew (and probably also viewed...) my own perfect score !

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no words, friends...
I can only say that now for me there is absolutely no more reason even to talk about TG in a speech !
I have never had contacts with them before, and I'll never have any in the future!

At this point I'd rather know that my tape ram an iceberg and never reached the USA... But maybe it's another story ;) !

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In August 21th,c.y., so just a few days ago, I recorded a video of a game played on my Daphne cab, just EXACTLY like 3 years ago
when I recorded that Mini-DV !
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XP99AYVT

... and here are some shots of my "perfect score", dated August 6th, 2008
http://picasaweb.google.com/macdlsa/...rPERFECTSCORE #

[ P.S.
I can assure you that I could play Cliff Hanger EVEN WITH MY EYES CLOSED and GET THE SAME SCORE !!!!!!
:) ]
Marco"MacDLSA", Daphne Team
irc[dot]enterthegame[dot]com , channels #Daphne / #Lasergames

Muerto

• 'High Score' keeper
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: My Cliff Hanger WORLD RECORD ? -STOLEN- !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:09:25 PM »
Hey.

I have read your post a couple of times, and if i understand it correct - you send them your perfect score 3 years ago (1.350.000)
and nothing happen...

>>Fast forward to present time<<

There´s now a perfect score on the TG high score list, set by another person and it´s 1.350.000 set by:

Steve Wagner
New Brunswick, NJ
USA

If you can play the game blind, why don´t you give it one more shot? record the perfect game, ship the tape/DVD/whatever to TG, and see what happens?? (you can always ship it so they have to sign for the package - so you know they received it.) ...

MacDLSA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:26:45 PM »
Yeah, it's all correct !

I already ( 2 days ago ) sent to T.G. a note with the link to my video...

AGAIN : NO REPLIES !

So, there'll be no more notes or other thing from me to send to T.G. !
I kinda' "close" with them, altough I've never "opened" (hehe... I remember Ross Geller's words against Rachel Green in a Friend's episode :D) !
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:10:09 PM by MacDLSA »

Muerto

• 'High Score' keeper
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 03:12:35 PM »
ok, you decide.... but i think it´s a shame you don´t give it a month to get the recognition...

and...

[OFF TOPIC] ON
It´s Rachel Green that has a drunk closure against Ross.... and later in the episode Rachel tell´s Ross that she is over him, where he replys:
When where you under me??  ;D ;D
I have the box set, and i thin i have seen it 3 times now....  :D :D

Short:
Friends Rewls!!!!!!!

[OFF TOPIC] OFF
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:22:28 PM by Muerto »

MacDLSA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:20:20 PM »
Ok, I'll follow you advice and give to my last decision one more month, altough I've already waited 3 years, my friend...

Btw OT:
YESSSSSSSHHHHHH !!!
Me, wife and our daughter are also watchin'it for, maybe, the 4th time !
Of course we got the entire DVD set, too :D !

Muerto

• 'High Score' keeper
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 06:53:15 PM »
I have just seen the vid you uploaded.....
Maby they did´nt approved it because you can´t see the score the entire time???
also, cant you put the camera on manual focus?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:27:51 PM »
The rules are very clear on the TG site.

They are so demanding that I dropped the idea of submitting my 9th Gravitar score....

MacDLSA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 09:13:21 AM »
The problems are NOT that sh..ty focus of my actual camera or those *very clear* fu...ng rules (and I add OBSOLETE !!!... there are other sites that have NEW and more plausible rules...) of TG.
The MiniDV I sent them was recorded with ALL the "specifics" that they *clearly* show in their su...ng pages !

( Cliff Hanger ORIGINAL coin-operated cabinet , MiniDV camera... and YES, Muerto: with MANUAL focus... )

-Front drawer opened and PCB with dipswitches setting showed and videorecorded BEFORE the booting
( then MiniDV camera was then placed on a fixed bracked WHILE it was still recording, pointed to the cabinet ! )
-Machine switched on, boot sequence, attract mode...
-Coin inserting and then, at least, I pushed the 1P button...
-My game = 1350000 points
-2 more attract modes and hiscore tables were then showed in the recording

What the heck should have there been added/changed/removed ???

Nothing... but me, italian !!!
If there was an american loser playin' that game they certainly let him achieve that fu...ng WR, JUST LIKE THEY ACTUALLY DID !

That's it, men...
and all the people I talked with about that fact have all the same thoughts about TG !
Nothing more or nothin' less !

Record aside, the matter is also I sent them about 7-8 emails and they NEVER answered !!!
Maybe they should have wrote down their own rules also for sending them emails !?