Author Topic: Just got myself the coolest table top AND gen 2 console: meet the G7200  (Read 13373 times)

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
I bought a Videopac 7000 this spring for an apple and an egg, with 30 games or so, but the unit itself was stinking like a smoking pub. Then I found out Philips made another console for the games, with the familiar Vectrex B&W tube built in. It's called the Videopac 7200. Awesome unit, got one in very nice condition.
This is how it looks, I will post my own soon.

Only problem is the joysticks are nearly dead, so I want to use the G7000 joysticks on this one, but they are hard wired. Does anybody know how to connect DIN plugs to them?

Laschek

Re: Just got myself the coolest table top AND gen 2 console: meet the G7200
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
Very cool system, I'd really like to have one.  :)
But the monitor has nothing to do with Vectrex (raster vs. vector)  ;)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 06:53:49 PM »
I've never see any use for the keyboard on the videopac system? Probably a 'easy basic' cartridge must exist, but... what else?

I remember when the first model came out (not the one pictured by Blanka), I used to play it on the big supermarket all the sunday afternoon, when my parents were doing some shopping... I only remember a game where you've to control a fly on a maze. What was the name?

Laschek

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »
I've never see any use for the keyboard on the videopac system? Probably a 'easy basic' cartridge must exist, but... what else?

There was a programming cartridge and a computer programming add-on hardware. The keyboard was further used for selecting and starting games, for putting your names on highscore lists (no saving though), there was a "Newscaster" cartridge where you could type in messages which roll along the screen  ;D etc. There were 2 or three combined board/video games, I guess they used the keyboard as well.
Here is some great info on the system (though partly in german): http://www.dieterkoenig.at/ccc/ (click "Videopac" on the right).

I remember when the first model came out (not the one pictured by Blanka), I used to play it on the big supermarket all the sunday afternoon, when my parents were doing some shopping... I only remember a game where you've to control a fly on a maze. What was the name?

Maybe Superbee? Or Munchkin (Pacman clone), might look a bit like a fly? You might want to check out the link above to find out ;)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 08:50:27 PM »
Maybe Superbee?

Yes, it's that  :-*  :arrow:

There is also a video where you can see the game (but emulate) at 6m40 sec : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oswY4TmuVQ
In my memories, the move of the fly was more 'smooth'... I presume the emulation is not accurate on that vid?

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 08:59:55 PM »
But the monitor has nothing to do with Vectrex (raster vs. vector)  ;)

It's just the same tube. 9 inch BW tube. Nothing more than that ;)
It was also to give an idea of the size. At first, I thought the unit was much bigger.
It is also a nicer one to play on. You can connect to RGB scart, detach the controllers, the PSU is built in and it has a power switch. The G7000 lacked all that.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:02:41 PM by Blanka »

Laschek

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 09:01:24 PM »
I presume the emulation is not accurate on that vid?

That's because emulation sucks  ;D ;)

Laschek

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 09:02:16 PM »
But the monitor has nothing to do with Vectrex (raster vs. vector)  ;)

It's just the same tube. 9 inch BW tube. Nothing more than that ;)

That might be so, but the interesting part is the electronics  ;D ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
O my God, Holland's very own games console. The worst ever....

The only bearable game I played on it was Happelaar (what a name, believe me, even in Dutch it is WEIRD !) = Munckin in English....

This system smells of 70's Philips culture all-over.....

My cousin had one, while I had the REAL thing (2600) and I laughed him in the face. The reason why he got it was that it had a keyboard so "it could be used for educational stuff"......yeah right, but his parents believed that bullshit...

Did you ever try to type more than 2 letters on that keyboard ? You need a HAMMER to input the letters :D

I remember he also had a sideways scrolling shooting game and it was well.....mmmmmm not very exciting.
Than my cousin and I got the idea to put the TV (2nd set in the home, those were always B/W in those days)  on it's side so it became a vertical game and it improved the gameplay a lot (although the joysticks were even worse to handle that way).

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 10:33:15 PM »
O my God, Holland's very own games console. The worst ever....

Gamewise maybe, but it is the best looking game console ever, and the best looking thing Philips ever designed (ok, that is a tie with my orange Philips 70's citrus juicer).

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 10:42:48 PM »
If you judge the book by the cover....

Anyway, it's cool to own it now of course, esp. the one with the built-in monitor. I don't think I ever saw one back in the day.

Do you also remember the P2000 computer ?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 06:12:44 AM »
Ofcourse, who can forget the good old P2000 ?
thats one of the first "computers" that i play games on

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
My dad brought one home long time ago. So for games I had to drool at friends ZX spectrum or C64.
But, with al my experience with games on many platforms now, I have to admit that the P2000 still has one of the top-5 space shooters of all time in terms of gameplay. Fraxxon is still better than most classics like Galaga or Phoenix.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 04:28:56 PM »
Also bought this one for 10!!! eur in a very, very nice condition with 9 games!!! ;D ;D ;D