Author Topic: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo  (Read 241004 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] The King of the Jungle: Aaayihiah-Yihi-Ahauauooooo
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2011, 07:39:56 PM »

while waiting on more replies to my varistor problem, i continued reassembling the cabinet. apart from glue, the individual pieces of wood are being held together by L-brackets and screws. in order for the screws to blend in with the art, i need to paint them in different colors, but first i have to make an inventory of what i need :arrow:

dip, dip, dip

after a while, my collection of green screws has grown quite a bit. for the photo, i thought i could add a nice background to make you guys happy (in fact, this wonderful teletubbies picture is a "present" for some friends of mine. we like playing practical jokes on each other and one of those jokes involves bringing stupid ugly items to the others apartment and hiding them there for later discovery :P)

a whole army of screws ready to attack the jungle king :spaceace:

and in they go ...

i could have painted the screws individually where the light and the dark green overlap, but i decided against doing so. what i did was the following: when the required screw was "more on the light side", i painted it light green, when it had a tendency to the dark side (:twisted:) then dark green was the color of choice!

doesn't it look brilliant? :-*

up next, i attached the coin box to the cabinet, ...

... followed by the coin door itself!

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2011, 08:22:21 PM »
totally awsome !  :spaceace:

those bolts blend in very well, good decision Ully !  :spaceace:

jcp

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »
It looks like green smarties  ;D !
Besides that, it's awesome as usual Ully   :-*.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2011, 09:31:27 PM »
Like a forest from screws, totally love it. ;D

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »
 :o :o :o  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:  :-* :-* :-*
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2011, 10:44:42 PM »
- can i simply replace the blown varistor with the V275LA15A variant and then use the wiring harness without a 240V > 120V stepdown converter?

Did you rewire the transformer for 230v ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2011, 11:01:08 PM »
Did you rewire the transformer for 230v ?

don't even know if there is a transformer, because the harness has been modified for a switcher if i remember correctly. will have to check ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2011, 12:24:33 AM »
Ok, then look at what the switcher can handle 110v or 230v or maybe a range between something like 100v and 250 v. Pics are always helpful :)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2011, 07:23:58 AM »
Last time I did that (on my Q*Bert) :arrow:

...it was a real nightmare, the paint didn't want to totally dry: even after one week of drying time, if I pushed on the screws to hard  :arrow: fingerprints on it  :?
Maybe the paint was too thick?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Last time I did that (on my Q*Bert) it was a real nightmare, the paint didn't want to totally dry: even after one week of drying time, if I pushed on the screws to hard  :arrow: fingerprints on it  :?
Maybe the paint was too thick?

the paint definitely was too thick! i dip it in and wait until at least three "drops of paint have fallen back into the can" (if you know what i mean). then give the paint at least one week to dry and NEVER push on the screw, use pliers to get the screw in if it gets stuck. it takes forever for the paint to dry completely. i always paint a few screws more to have some spares later on!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2011, 09:22:13 AM »
Ok, then look at what the switcher can handle 110v or 230v or maybe a range between something like 100v and 250 v. Pics are always helpful :)

i will try to figure the wiring out today and will come back with pics later!

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2011, 09:43:28 AM »
the paint definitely was too thick! i dip it in and wait until at least three "drops of paint have fallen back into the can" (if you know what i mean). then give the paint at least one week to dry and NEVER push on the screw, use pliers to get the screw in if it gets stuck. it takes forever for the paint to dry completely. i always paint a few screws more to have some spares later on!

Do you use a waterbased paint, or a solvent based paint? The problem with solvent based paints is indeed that it dries VERY slow - and if there's a thick layer of paint it always stays a bit "elastic". Waterbased paints give a lot less problems with this...
It might be a better idea though to paint those bolts with a brush (or a spray can) rather than dip it into the paint.

But despite the paint problems I think those bolts look damn sexy  ;)
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »
Do you use a waterbased paint, or a solvent based paint? The problem with solvent based paints is indeed that it dries VERY slow - and if there's a thick layer of paint it always stays a bit "elastic". Waterbased paints give a lot less problems with this...

solvent based paint! i didn't have a choice, it was the only product available for my colors!

It might be a better idea though to paint those bolts with a brush (or a spray can) rather than dip it into the paint.

i tried it with a brush and a cotton bud, but i couldn't get the paint on as smoothly as when being dipped in. of course spray can would be the way to go, but unfortunately those colors aren't available in spray cans ...

But despite the paint problems I think those bolts look damn sexy  ;)

thx man, i totally agreed! 8)

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2011, 10:41:56 AM »
of course spray can would be the way to go, but unfortunately those colors aren't available in spray cans ...

I used to work at a professional paint shop, and we had empty spray cans which we could fill with about any type of paint. I think that a lot of decent paintshops (not Hornbach or a general home deco shop) will be able to make this as well (or order it at their supplier)....
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2011, 11:05:27 AM »
I think that once the bolts are in and tightent from the inside there is no reason to touch the bolts for the next 20 - 30 years so i guess its dry by then  ;D

they look superb to me !  :spaceace: