Author Topic: :: Report :: DL Euro Fans Meeting 06' in UK  (Read 31534 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
:: Report :: DL Euro Fans Meeting 06' in UK
« on: November 18, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »

Jason " With not having much time for my games this year, being too busy with Work and Building my house, I have now come to a piont with the Christmas Run up, which is where it all slows down "Slightly".

Myself, Justin Goodheart and Matteo Marioni are organizing a Meet at "Finny's Lair" from Friday 15th-17th Dec, There will be food with soft drinks and good old English cups of tea and coffee flowing all day, Matteo will be giving Justin some Tech tips, there will be boards and players in bits all over the place as matteo and justin as normal try to fix everything!!!everyone plays and talks lasergames, we have called it "the Euro meet" because I doubt anyone from outside Europe will be able to come although you are all welcome, collectors that are coming so far are...... "
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:25:24 PM by DarthNuno »

ANY

• View Profile
DL Euro Fans Meeting 06' in UK
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 12:39:38 AM »
Hi Bruno and hi Jas.

If all goes fine i'll be there too!

I've just booked the plane and i'll sitting next to Teo :)
He send a mail to you (Jason) to let you know some thing.... :)
I like to know more collector from Europe (well from UK and Belgium) and talk about our hobby.
Just hope all will be right and we'll enjoy the weekend!! :O
Stay tuned for Italian invasion.......... :roll:

See ya next month ANY
here is 10 kind of people:
-who can read binary
-all the rest

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 01:13:35 AM »
Hi ANY  :)

You'll be there too, that's a great new  :o

Arghh, I can't wait to see all of you  over there  :P  :P  :P

Up The Dragons  :wink:

jomm

• View Profile
    • http://www.jommgrut.be/afterburner
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 07:05:08 PM »
Don't know if I will make it, sure would love to. It's been almost 20 years ago I saw a DL-cab "in the flesh" (never seen a SA- nor a DL2-cab for real).
Who knows, I'll see what I can do.
God must love crazy people, he made so many of them!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:17:24 PM »
Quote from: "jomm"
Don't know if I will make it, sure would love to. It's been almost 20 years ago I saw a DL-cab "in the flesh" (never seen a SA- nor a DL2-cab for real).
Who knows, I'll see what I can do.

Don't worry Jomm  :P

You are welcome to visit the Nuno's Lair in South Belgium anytime  :wink:

...features ... The Don BLuth Trilogy  :P

- Dragon's Lair
- Dragon's Lair II
- Space Ace  

:wink:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 10:32:53 PM »
YEhhawww  :P  The trip is booked for me too  :o

I'll be in London the 15,16,17,18 & 19th of december.

Of course, the 'HOLY' event will be the Euro DL meeting, but impossible to miss an other event in London : GAME ON

21 October 2006 - 25 February 2007  

Explore the history, technology and culture of computer games in this new special exhibition. From the PDP-1 of the 1960s to the latest consoles, Game On examines the technologies that have revolutionised the gaming world. See the ten most influential consoles of all time, learn about the design process behind games such as Tomb Raider, investigate the relationship between films and gaming and play over 120 games including classics Space Invaders and Super Mario Brothers!

I've seen some pictures of the expo : A lot of Arcade cab' :P  :P  :P Maybe a Dragon's Lair Cab' :roll:  :wink:

link for that event :

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/exhibitions/gameon/

http://www.gameonweb.co.uk

arcadefever

• View Profile
    • http://www.arcadefever.net
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 07:05:13 AM »
dont forget your cam  :D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 09:41:57 PM »
Quote from: "arcadefever"
dont forget your cam  :D

For sure  :o  Be prepared for one thousand pictures of this meeting :D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 09:44:46 PM »
Collectors attending :

Andrea "Any" (Italy)
Matteo Marioni (Italy)
Justin Gooheart "SILVERUK" (UK)
Jason Finn (UK)
John Cocks (UK)
David Cocks (UK)
Desmond (UK)
Rich Savine (UK)
Darren Evans x2 (UK)
Lee Ram x3(UK) yet to confirm
Alan (UK)
Rav (UK) yet to confirm
Archer (UK) yet to confirm
John Springer (UK)
Dan Beswick (UK)
Jason Grundy (UK)
me (Belgium)

Hope Namfreak(UK) will be able to come on this date too.

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
    • http://www.jasonfinn.com
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 09:33:47 AM »
We have XY-Man turning up now too, he has hundreds of games and knows of every game that was produced, wealth of knowledge, so thats all good.

If anyone want to bring items to trade or sell that is all good too, xy-man is bringing some stuff, and a list of lasergame items he has for sale too.
"Aim for the Moon! if you fall short your be with the Stars"

namfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 07:59:53 PM »
Hi Bruno,

Unfortunately i won't be able to make it this time - I have a party arranged that I'm going to. It's just too close to Christmas!!

I'm sure you guys will have a great time, I'll see you at the next one!
namfreak

spyfox

• View Profile
Phew Made it!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 10:45:58 PM »
Hi Guys,

I guess I am pretty new around here, but just wanted to say hi, and say that I also just about managed to make it down to this for a few hours, late on Sunday afternoon.

Was a real adventure as I haven't seen or played a DL/SA for some 15 or so years, and probably 10 years since I played DL2.

I think sadly I missed meeting with most of you guys, but obviously met Jason, and Matteo & Andrea.

Just wanted to say a massive thankyou to you guys who run this site, as I thought I was the only person out there who really remembered and loved these fantastic games, and without this site, I would still be wandering aimlessly round the web looking for likeminded individuals, and also a huge thx to Jason Finn and Namfreak who have been so helpful and friendly to me in giving me advice and helping me to find a machine....of which I am still looking, but feel a lot more definite as to what I am gonna go for now.

Great Site, and sorry I missed you all, hopefully catch up next year!

Adam (Spyfox)

p.s Took a tonne of photos which I will post as soon as I get them all off of my camera.

ANY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 11:25:07 PM »
Hi Adam,
I enjoyed it too!!!
It's a great place and there was a lot of nice people.
I spent 2 great days last weekend and i have only one thing to complain about.
Planes and trains are ALWAYS late.
Matteo and I had to wait for 1 hour each flight before landing, later on the return trip Matteo went directly to work while I spent another 8 hours on our very on-time train service (the trip should be only 6 hours!!!)

I've met a LOT of great guys:
-Jason (the MAN)
-Justin (the crazy new official Jason technician)
-Bruno (Picture-maniac)
-Adam (another Picture-maniac guy)
-the 2 guys (sorry i don't remember their names, but drove for 5 hours to play Dragon's Lair!!!!)
-All the other people who came at Jason place just to talk/play about this "old fashion" games.
I spent an afternoon installing a NOS Thayer's Quest, fixing a NOS Pioneed LD-V1000 for that game and ENJOYED seeing it alive (I've NEVER seen one before)

See ya next year guys
Andrea
here is 10 kind of people:
-who can read binary
-all the rest

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
    • http://www.jasonfinn.com
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 09:48:43 AM »
Well Guys what can I say, I would like to thank you all, it started late on Friday Night, with picking the Italian stallions Matteo and Andrea from Stanstead Airport, getting back to my place and ready for Saturday, within 30 minutes Bruno from Dragonslairfans.com was on the phone saying he was at the train station ready to be picked up,we got to the Lair early, first guy there by 10am was my Main Man Justin Goodheart (Silveruk). Matteo and Andrea was giving Justin some electronics lessons, my brain couldnt handle the knowledge.

Then Lee Ram and Steve turned up after a 5 Hour Drive, Lee and Steve played DL2 for over three hours, these are hardcore gamers, then followed  Darren Evans...and thats when it all went a bit Crazy, for some reason we all talked about playing the Atari Dragons Lair back in the day, so the Atari version was switched on for Darren, Lee and Steve, they played it until they completed it, and thats when it got out of hand.....Dazza wanted to complete on one life, it was sooooo funny seeing those guys play that game for hours, Bruno joined in after rests in between, Bruno made me laugh while watching DL getting played, he said "I remember watching DL get played like this years ago, while resting his head on his hand of the side  of the cab, and said the prblem was i was like this...he then got on his knees"!!!!  Andrea (ANY) Built my Thayers Cab from Scratch and fixed a NOS LDV1000 player Many Thanks Andrea!!! we eventually got the marquee in my SA91 working as two of the cabs from the states were wired wrong, same being on Justins NOS DL2!! we left the lair at 1:30 am on Sunday Morning, we all got our things switched the lights of and there was a machine running, but there was a problem, Lee Ram was still playing, he did not want to leave.

I would Like to Thank these guys for coming

Justin Goodheart (Main Man)
Matteo Marioni  (Adopted Italian)
Andrea Turchi  (New Italian Bubby)
Bruno Biordi   (Mr Papparazzi)
Lee Ram     (Hardcore Gamer#1)
Steve        (Hardcoregamer#2)
Darren Evans  (Mr Completion)
Adam   (Spyfox)
Sorry that David Cocks car broke down thus David John and Desmond not being able to make it,
Also XY-Man had a surprise holiday booked by his wife on the same weekend.
 also the guys who cam got through the obsticle course getting to the Lair.

This meet will be every year, next year the Lair will be 100% complete with a nice path to to get to it, I will have ample room for anyone staying, once again thanks to you guys your all great!!

regards
-Finny
"Aim for the Moon! if you fall short your be with the Stars"

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 04:44:49 PM »
What a day, a blast and incredibly enjoyable.

Nice to finally meet Bruno, the man that accomplished the unthinkable, restoring what most people would consider a dead Space Ace cabinet into a beautiful thing again. Damn good job my friend.

Was funny watching the the boys, Matteo, Justin and Andrea fixing all this amazing old stuff while myself and the other simply enjoyed ourselves on the machines! The fish and chips was a nice touch Jas! I don't know if Bruno new what he was letting himself in for, hes like 'Yeah, I have whatever you guys are having, pie, what is this??' :lol:

Thanks again Jas, it's always a pleasure checking out the lair. I just hope you haven't yet noticed all the good stuff I've been pilfering each time. Next time I wonder if you'll notice the missing DL#1 and Smithee Cell :wink:

The crowning moment was finally finshing the cinematronics version for the first time ever, the version I played when I was a wee one. The picture Jas captured on completion was a classic, pure joy encapsulated (although I still feel gyped completing and loosing that one life)

A message to Lee and Steve, Sword, DOWN, Sword, DOWN, Sword!! You know it makes sense.

-Dazza-

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: