Author Topic: The Storage™  (Read 88637 times)

zapposh

• View Profile
    • replay
Re: The Storage™
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »
So, what's inside? :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2012, 11:30:46 PM »
So, what's inside? :)

i guess it's time to reveal - but first the story behind the deal!

more than three months ago, bruno posted a le bon coin space wars ad on the forum. space wars are already damn rare in europe, but this one was a version noone had ever seen before - a spanish version created by sonic. although i'm a huge fan of the original cab design, the artwork on the spanish version simply rocks! i was thrilled from the first moment i laid my eyes on that cab, but of course there was a downside to it: it was located in freaking southern france, in perpignan to be more precise, almost 1200 kilometers from my place. because of that, a roadtrip was out of the question. i got in touch with the seller nevertheless, but was told that the cab had been sold to someone else already, so i quickly forgot about the game (did i really?). move forward two months ... a few days before christmas the ad popped up again on "le bon coin". once again i contacted the seller and asked what had happened. obviously the original buyer did not pick up the cab, so i immediately seized the chance to grab it the second time around. there was only one problem: how the heck should i get the game up here to germany?

i got in touch with kevin "hatster" from southern france who's a good friend of dave the deliveryman (the guy who transported the 20+ nos monitors around europe) and asked if he would be heading up north anytime soon. the answer was YES! dave had planned a trip to england in late january / early february, so i asked christophe (the space wars seller) if it would be ok for him to keep the game until then and he agreed - he even agreed on a lower price :).

some days later, when i got back from a relaxing day in the sauna, i read about the closing and the cab sellout of the arcade barn in the uk!

although i was sad to read that such a great arcade had to close down, i also saw the opportunity to get some more games i was looking for. i would probably not have gone for them if i hadn't known that dave was going to get some games from the arcade barn for kevin anyway and therefore i asked him if he had enough space in his van to squeeze in a few more games besides the space wars. once again, the answer was YES!

my initial plan was to ask rav if i could have the games stored at his place for a later personal pickup, but i also asked dave if it would be possible to transport the games directly to my place in germany. i guess three times a charm, his answer was YES! :)

after a week on the road, it is finally time to open up dave's van (one more note in advance: the robby roto on the left is not for me) :arrow:

as i've said before, there are no pictures of the actual unloading process because noone was around to take pics (well, who is at 10 o'clock in the morning on a weekday?). therefore, here's game number two already at its (current) location inside a storage. ladies and gentlemen, may i present to you ... :arrow:

here are those two games side by side - isn't it a wonderful sight?

but we're not done yet because there's another game in dave's van which needs to be unloaded!

to further my atari system 2 collection (which already consists of paperboy and championship sprint) i got myself an APB - All Points Bulletin. and because i didn't want the cabinet to stand around at by itself in the storage ;), i put it right next to my space invaders :arrow:

my austrian friend alex got himself a dedicated frogger in pretty good nick (with a willis cpo installed) which of course i will store for him until a later personal pickup!

all the games are working (or at least they were before they were hauled all across europe) - it's "only" a matter of cosmetics now (and a gameroom :P)!

i have to thank dave and especially kevin for arranging the pickup / delivery and for all those live updates i received during dave's way up north to england and down south again to germany! this deal would not have bene possible without you!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2012, 02:30:29 AM »
YES, VERY happy that you saved that Space Wars !!!!! I LOVE that cabinet and artwork !!!
I forgot is it anywhere near workinng ?? Cinematronics vectors are pretty hard to fix...thats for the top guys ;);)

RallyX is nice to have. The mouse race version on the VIC-20 was the very first homecomputer game I ever played at thr Firato electronics fair in the early 80s....

Hope you can make some more pics (inside and out) of the SPace Wars !!

APB I once played when the Atari Lynx was new but I didnt really understand it back then...arcade versions are always better....  Confrats !!!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
Nice adds Ully, especially that beautiful Space Wars.
Your Storage seems like almost full to me, how many cabs you have there? :D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2012, 09:59:32 AM »
YES, VERY happy that you saved that Space Wars !!!!! I LOVE that cabinet and artwork !!!
I forgot is it anywhere near workinng ?? Cinematronics vectors are pretty hard to fix...thats for the top guys ;);)
Hope you can make some more pics (inside and out) of the SPace Wars !!

thx andré! i just HAD to save it, at least i wanted it up here and not down in southern france in some garage. i've already talked to andreas about it, if i decide to sell it, he will gladly take it out of my hands. from what christophe told me, it is working, but he said something about the screen being wobbly. his english was not the best, so i honestly didn't understand 100% what he was trying to tell me :D.

here's a couple more pictures christophe sent me, left side looks much better than the right side, the inside looks pretty clean. i will head over to the storage again today and check out those boards. i can't take better pictures from the outside for now because it's pretty cramped right now - i really have to re-arrange the games inside the storage, but i will wait until the temperatures have reached acceptable levels - like 42° ;).

full frontal view :arrow:

don't you just love the coin door with the sonic logo and the front art?

marquee and bezel

bezel and control panel. unfortunately - as you can see - someone scratched his initials into the panel, but i'm pretty sure it can be fixed!

cabinet's left side - in pretty good nick

cabinet's right side - more damages to the art than on the other side :'(

a first glance inside

the pcbs

looks identical to the cinematronics version (picture courtesy of andy's arcade 8))

spanish inspection sheet inside, it says that the machine was produced in 1978! i love details like that :-*

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2012, 10:09:15 AM »

if we move the harvester out and park it in the street ... A LOT!!! ;D

but of course this is not going to happen. as i've said, i need to do some re-arranging when it's warmer and then i can squeeze in a few more (i'd say 10 - 15). patrik is already planning on building a second level for the games, but honestly i have (and really want) to slow down a bit, i've bought too much stuff in december and january with the closing of arcade barn, the archer bulk buy and the ship raid. i just can't resist, i'm too weak :P

i'm planning on taking a month off from the hobby, going on holidays in june (haven't been away for three years) and let everything settle down a little bit - i might eventually sell a game or two ... ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2012, 10:54:32 AM »
Yeah, this must be a licensed version, everything looks very original. Only difference I see that they moved the heat-sinks from the monitor outside to the inside.

Indeed I love sheets and little things like that !
You can see that this sheet was normally for pinball machines :) And it was initially apparently intended for another country than France, since they marked it out....

That kickplate artwork is brilliant indeed !

The right side seem to have faded a lot....but even if you don't restore anything on the outside, it still looks great !
I would remove the game PCB's at least and store in your home....this is no "average" hardware....

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »
Did you notice the weird place for the "type plate":

Top left corner in front of the bezel, don't forget to make a macro-shot of that :) Wonder if it says "licensed from" or anything....

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »
hahaha, you crazy German! Congratulations.

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »
hahaha, you crazy German! Congratulations.
+1000!!!!  ;D ;D ;D  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

zapposh

• View Profile
    • replay
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »
You should open an arcade barn with such a collection.  :)

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »
so Ully, how many cab's do you have atm, or are you afraid to talk about it? ;D ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2012, 12:06:24 PM »
No....he just lost count.... ;D ;D ;D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
Nice adds Ully, especially that beautiful Space Wars.

I was thinking the same  ;D

is there still space for more ?

Anyway, great catches Ully!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
it was located in freaking southern france, in perpignan to be more precise, almost 1200 kilometers from my place. because of that, a roadtrip was out of the question

You disappoint me on that point...  ::)  ;D

Seriously, that SW rocks! Although I already have an (empty) Cinematronics Space Wars, I've also requested to the seller more details about that cabinet. But I would not be reasonable to own two! I'm happy it's someone from the 'club' who own it now, congratulation  :)