Author Topic: from germany to england and back again - doable in 24 hours?  (Read 15155 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: from germany to england and back again - doable in 24 hours?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 06:45:23 PM »
nope, unfortunately nobody else has jumped on board!  :(
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 06:51:09 PM »
Well, I'm really 'in love' of the Juno First... but it's just too much for me now  :'(

...in case she can't come along for the ride, anyone here from the forum want to join me for a nice tour of the english countryside, for some rounds of arcade games at rav's and for some heavy cab loading?

Does your trip will pass in the south of Belgium? My blood is requesting a new road trip'  ::)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »

UPDATE

on my way back from my mad planets roadtrip, i passed by the car rental agency to check out potential vehicles for my upcoming england roadtrip. here's the object of my affection  :arrow:

i didn't take any pictures of the inside, but made one of my famous drawings

judging from those measurements i took, i could quite easily fit in 6 cabs - and that's enough ;) if i'd take the longer vehicle, i might jump on some last minute deals (which i couldn't afford though)!

any thoughts?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 10:17:02 PM »
Does your trip will pass in the south of Belgium? My blood is requesting a new road trip'  ::)

somehow i missed your reply, bruno! i haven't heard back from rav regarding the final pricing and charlotte hasn't decided yet whether to come along for the ride or not, but if she doesn't, you're more than welcome to jump onboard!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 11:42:39 PM »
ok guys, time to get serious: book the ticket for the eurotunnel :)!

i've never done that before, so i don't know how strict the guys at the check-in are, therefore a couple of questions:

the "vehicle-type category" on the booking website gives me a couple of options, the ones interesting for me are either "car-based van" (height 185 cm and smaller) and "van" (height more than 185 cm). the van i'm planning on bringing over is higher than 185 cm, but of course the van category is more expensive than the van-based category. just curious: are they going to check the height of my vehicle at all? or would you go with "car-based van" and play stupid when asked?
@erik: which "category" did you choose?

let's suppose i choose the "van category", then i'm being asked whether i intend to carry a load greater than 3 cubic metres. i guess the load of the cabs i intend on bringing back is bigger than the given number, but when i choose YES, i get the message that for safety reason i'm not permitted to carry a load bigger than 3 cubic metres and that i should reduce the load :(! can i simply ignore that question and click on NO?

puh, i'm quite nervous when thinking about what's lying ahead of me ...

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 12:30:33 AM »
There are several posts here that seem to say it's a risk:

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79595

findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 07:30:56 AM »
There are several posts here that seem to say it's a risk:

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79595

thx, doesn't sound too good. i'm curious: let's suppose i bring back three / four cabs. would they even exceed the three cubic meters?  ???

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 08:16:06 AM »
They don't care what's inside the van (expect the customs service... but other purpose of course  ;) ).

Just one question to ask : what is the height of the car or van. This is the only check done when you'll arrive. There's a bar which prevents the passage of the car/van to high... impossible to cheat  ;D

Take this  :arrow:

Van: Any van (including roof box, roof rack or cycles) over 1.85m in height, used for private, tourist or leisure travel. This excludes minibuses, campervans, trailers, caravans, motorcycles and any light commercial goods vehicles carrying commercial goods for resale. Please note, the maximum laden weight for a van on our Passenger service is 3.5 tonnes.

Have a safe trip  ;)

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »
Just talked to a friend who brought back furniture for personal use from the UK in a van last week.

It was over 3m³ and the eurotunnel employees inspected it (he suspects it was because of the weight - your vehicle is weighed as you drive towards the train), they told him that normally he shouldn't be carrying so much but let him through anyway.

He also told them that most of the space inside the furniture was empty space so he didn't really have that much, you could use that argument too :)
findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 02:52:55 PM »
Ully,

How tall is the inside of that van? I don't see that on your picture - only the length and width? To fit 6 cabs you need to ensure they can stand up - and remember when you are standing them up they will be taller when at an angle before they go upright.

Oliver

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »
.... @erik: which "category" did you choose?

let's suppose i choose the "van category", then i'm being asked whether i intend to carry a load greater than 3 cubic metres. i guess the load of the cabs i intend on bringing back is bigger than the given number, but when i choose YES, i get the message that for safety reason i'm not permitted to carry a load bigger than 3 cubic metres and that i should reduce the load :(! can i simply ignore that question and click on NO?

I did choose van.  One normal cab is about 0.8 m3. So 3 m3 is about 3 to 4 cabs. And as you are planning to take 3 to 4 cabs, I wouldn't be to nervous about it.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »
How tall is the inside of that van? I don't see that on your picture - only the length and width? To fit 6 cabs you need to ensure they can stand up - and remember when you are standing them up they will be taller when at an angle before they go upright.

the specs list the van as 1.85 inside, but the measures i took said AT LEAST 1.88, almost 1.90, so i guess that should be good enough to get the games inside in an upright position!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 06:39:28 PM »

the specs list the van as 1.85 inside, but the measures i took said AT LEAST 1.88, almost 1.90, so i guess that should be good enough to get the games inside in an upright position!

Probably so, but don't forget that the inner sides of the van are not total vertical, they are somewhat curved, like in this picture:

At teh roof the van is much more narrow than the 140 cm's at the floor.