Author Topic: from germany to england and back again - doable in 24 hours?  (Read 15194 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
this is a question for all the roadtrip experts:

right now i'm planning my huuuge roadtrip to england and since this is going to be one gigantic trip, i'm looking at different options here:

(1) renting a trailer: moneywise, this would be the cheapest option, at least it seems to be, but from my last experiences, pulling a trailer (especially a heavy one) behind your car uses up a loooooot of gas. PLUS: i don't like driving with a trailer behind my car AND it is a very slow way of travelling. well, at least it gives you the chance of breathing in the countryside!

(2) renting a van: the roadtrip is going to be more than 900 kilometers ONE WAY, that's why i definitely need to rent a van with unlimited kilometers - otherwise it's going to cost me a fortune. after a lot of digging around, i've found one offer which sounds quite promising, because it includes free kilometers. the dimensions of the trunk are as follows: lenght 3.12m, width 1.73m, height 1.88m. i should be able to fit a couple of games in there. the price is nice as well: around 230 euros. the problem is that they don't do cheaper weekend rates, this is the price for ONE DAY, which means i would have to do the trip within 24 hours. is that even doable? right now, i don't know yet whether i'm going alone or if someone's coming along for the ride. with two persons i'd say DOABLE, alone i'd say RISKY, because driving for such a long period of time can be quite exhausting. of course i could add another rental day, but that would double the rate to close to 500 euros - and that's a lot of money we're talking about!

ok, enough for now. i need some input, guys, on what to do? perhaps you have different takes on the whole thing!

p.s.: i remember that we talked about the cheapest option to get over to england and i guess it was the channel tunnel version we agreed upon, but i simply can't find that thread anymore ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: from germany to england and back again - doable in 24 hours?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:50:37 AM »
I wouldn't advice it. Erik and I discussed this before doing "our" UK roadtrip and although it looked possible in the beginning, I was VERY VERY glad we made it an overnight trip while we were doing it. (Big thanks to Alpha1!)

Did you ever drive before on the left ? I'm quite experienced with it. Erik and I took turns on driving (luckily we have more or less the same style of driving ;)) both of these things are great to have. I'd say doing it alone in 24h. is a mad man's journey.

Yes I do think the tunnel is the cheapest way, and if not, it's certainly the quickest way. I crossed the channel by boat, catamaran, hoover craft and plane before but this is definitely the fastest way by car.

P.S. check the van for the jack  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:03:42 AM »
Did you ever drive before on the left ? I'm quite experienced with it. Erik and I took turns on driving (luckily we have more or less the same style of driving ;)) both of these things are great to have. I'd say doing it alone in 24h. is a mad man's journey.

in fact i have. not in england though, but in malta and some other country i can't remember right now. i have to agree with you that it would be mad doing it alone and i have to think jard about it, but it would be so much cheaper. i have found another rental ageny who offer a nice 2 1/2 weekend rate for 240 euros, but the kilometers are limited to 1500. i'll give them a ring tomorrow and see if i can talk them into raising the limit to 2k. 2 1/2 days would be so much easier and more relaxed!

P.S. check the van for the jack  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

thx my friend, this item has now been moved to the top of my checklist  ;) :P
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Ravage

• View Profile
    • Retrokade
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 01:13:08 AM »
EDIT: Youve posted better rates already than when I just wrote this.... :)

Wow! 900 KM one way (560 miles to me) I just did one of those albeit dropping cabs off all day but still there was no ferry/tunnel etc. Thers no way in the world you could do it!

As for vans I would recommend a Long-Wheel base [LWB] High roof Van, but your dimensions look right for that: The rear wheels can take up allot of room in a medium wheel base. I was very impressed with a Citreon I rented recently for the height, and in the past ivecos can hold loads of cabs, sprinters are good (I owned one once) but not necessaily good on the height. VWs look ok too. You certainly shouldnt need tail lifts, lutons and although Bruno might suggest otherwise - I wouldnt trailer that distance either!

But before going off the subject of van-hire.... I cant understand why a vechile you can hire is 230 Euros a day! For the following examples, Ill convert that to UKP as its easier for me :) Thats equal to £200 UKP.

The local company I use charge £75 each day for 1-2 days. thats £150. At the weekend its £135 for the whole weekend. They quote mileage maximus but Ive never seen anyone even notice!
But the same company has a sliding scale and it gets cheaper the longer you hire. 7 days totals £245 - which is interesting as 4 days on the same scale is £245 and for themt hats when unlimited mileage kicks in! Yes this is over your daily rates but a little but it still shows how even if it sat on your drive for 3-5 days doing nothing its still cheaper than what your quoting for 2-days hire! Are you sure youve got your figures right?

If the dates we talked about are on the cards, your welcome to stay here - play a few games - get Oll/Alpha1 over etc (hes local to me) :) Weathers better now and a few games even work and can ask the landlord for permission to a late stay  :)

I will send you a PM with some other alternatives...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 01:14:34 AM »
Yeah, negotiate like hell, set them up against each other to get the best price ! It's a crisis so take advantage of it ! :D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:45:32 AM »
A 900km roadtrip for Germany to UK is *almost* impossible to do in less than 24h!
The easy way to check for me : 90 km means 1 hour to drive. It include a short break for eating (30 min), and few little slowness of the traffic.
1800 km means at least 20 hours on the road, but it's hard to say how many time you'll wait at the Euro Tunel. Sometime you're right on time, but you have to wait all the tunel procedures (check in/custom control,...) : it's easy to lose precious time here. If everything go perfect, it will cost you 2 x 1h10min = 2h20min.
you also have to spend time for loading the games, chatting with the seller,...
In addition :
If you want to avoid traffic jam, you'll have to leave very very early (5:00 or 6:00am). It involves that the van rent company let you to take the van the day before, very l8te.... and yo won't be able to bring it back 24 hours l8ter.
If I had to do this road trip, I would hire a van for a week end. Most of company let you take a van Friday evening (6pm)...until Monday (8:00)am for a nice price!
But no trailer for a such trip and with so many games!

I've done something like that on this UK Tour Road Trip' :

Good luck and take care... try to not be alone for this road trip  ;) Listen Rav' : Stay with him and Ol' and enjoy the place  :P

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 08:52:15 AM »
But before going off the subject of van-hire.... I cant understand why a vechile you can hire is 230 Euros a day! For the following examples, Ill convert that to UKP as its easier for me :) Thats equal to £200 UKP.

The local company I use charge £75 each day for 1-2 days. thats £150. At the weekend its £135 for the whole weekend. They quote mileage maximus but Ive never seen anyone even notice!
But the same company has a sliding scale and it gets cheaper the longer you hire. 7 days totals £245 - which is interesting as 4 days on the same scale is £245 and for themt hats when unlimited mileage kicks in! Yes this is over your daily rates but a little but it still shows how even if it sat on your drive for 3-5 days doing nothing its still cheaper than what your quoting for 2-days hire! Are you sure youve got your figures right?

holy macaroni :o! i big rental van for a week for just 245 pounds. i'm totally sure there's no way in hell  :twisted: i'll be able to get that quote - FOR SURE! as i've said: not only was the quote a have for a single day (which doesn't go down but simply doubles if i add another day), but there's only ONE company offering unlimited kilometers! man, this sucks! i could make a nice little holiday in england for a week!!!

i'll have to do some further digging and make some calls ... if anyone wants to help me out, please feel free to search the web for yourself  8)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »
ok, i've found another company which might be what i'm looking for - and they're pretty close to my place.

they're offering the following: weekend rent from friday 16:30 to sunday 18:00 (a good two days) with unlimited kilometers. i have two different car options:

(1) Mercedes Sprinter XL (length 3.25, width 1.80, height: 1.85) for 239 euros with a cargo area of 5.50 m2 and a volume of 10.5 m3

(2) Mercedes Sprinter XXL (length 4.30, width 1.80, height: 1.85) for 319 euros with a cargo area of 7.40 m2 and a volume of 14.0 m3

i've requested availibility for the weekend May 28 to May 30 - let's see if either is available! I've also asked how much an additional day would cost me ...

two more questions: will a height of roughly 1.85 meters suffice? And which size would be the better option: XL or XXL? I'll have to check the flyers of the games I'm intending to bring over - no spoilers yet ;)!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 04:34:19 PM »
I would very much like to give you some advice also, but everything important has already been mentioned:
- make it a two days trip with a van
- take a co-driver with you and be sure to tell the renting company that he will be the second driver, for insurance reasons
- bring along some good music, you will need it
- spend the night at rav's place, as he has suggested, this will be a lot of fun and certainly worht the extra cash and time
- car jack, yes.  :D
- be aware that your van might have huge rear wheel 'boxes' in the trunk
- bring blankets and a lot of rope or something like that
- have plenty of beverages, food and candy with you
- and finally, take a lot of pictures

Good luck with searching a cheap van.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
thx for your input. noone's answering the phone today because it's a holiday. i'll give them a call tomorrow and IF they have one of those vans available, drive by and check out the dimensions myself. this way i can make sure beforehand how many cabs are going to fit in! i'll keep you guys posted.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:11:50 AM »
update:

just got off the phone with the guys from the car rental company. both vans are available at the said weekend, i'll go over there TOMORROW to check out both vans beforehand regarding loading space. i also got a price quote for both cars including tax, here's where we stand:

(1) the shorter XL sprinter: €297,50
(2) the longer XXL sprinter: €383,50

right now i'm leaning towards the shorter version, because as things are right now, i can most likely fit in the games i'm planning on bringing back. however, then there's no space for any additional last minute grabs.

man, i just wish money would grow on trees or someone would have jumped aboard to share the costs ;)!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 11:52:02 AM »
Those prices sound very good for a whole weekend, especially when milage is included. If I were you I would take the larger van, it's easier and you are eventually able to pick up something else. Beside, if you are considering a last minute grab, then the extra rental costst shouldn't be a problem, should they?  ;)

Are you going alone, or will you have company?

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »
Yeah take the XXL van, you can grab the Phoenix for erik then :-)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »
Are you going alone, or will you have company?

not sure yet, i've asked charlotte to come along to vist her ex-au-pair-family, but she doesn't know yet whether she's got time at the specified weekend!

in case she can't come along for the ride, anyone here from the forum want to join me for a nice tour of the english countryside, for some rounds of arcade games at rav's and for some heavy cab loading?

Yeah take the XXL van, you can grab the Phoenix for erik then :-)

phoenix, how great is that? do you want me to bring it along, erik?  ;)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 06:26:49 PM »
No, thanks. I had an opportunity to get it when I was at Rav's, but I passsed on it. It just was above my budget for that game. However, are you going to collect games for other people, as an outcome of this topic: https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1535.0