Author Topic: WTB: Atari Basketball PCB  (Read 12475 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: WTB: Atari Basketball PCB
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 01:29:54 PM »
So, any chance of a Dominos PCB in these 100's ?
 ;D

Actually I have one!

It's inside the Dominos cocktail table!  ;D :wink:

hey, that would make a nice collection: an atari basketball WITHOUT pcb next to a dominos cocktail WITHOUT pcb - you should defitinely give it to andre!  ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Laschek

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 04:06:37 PM »
hey, that would make a nice collection: an atari basketball WITHOUT pcb next to a dominos cocktail WITHOUT pcb - you should defitinely give it to andre!  ;)

Brilliant idea!
I never play the games, so I don't need the pcbs anyway.
And I could print a screenshot and slap it onto the cab so I can get rid of the monitors as well.
Wait, I just make cardboard cutouts of the games and start a happy life!

;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 05:16:04 PM »
I never play the games, so I don't need the pcbs anyway.
And I could print a screenshot and slap it onto the cab so I can get rid of the monitors as well.
Wait, I just make cardboard cutouts of the games and start a happy life!

OR - even better - sell your games to someone who actually plays them and live an even happier life with all that money you make ;D
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 07:31:05 PM »
For a second I honestly thought I'd scored a Dominos PCB.....

You got me good Laschek !  :?

Of course you never play those games, but that's not the point is it ? It's a museum peace. It's a part of arcade history. It's the one raster pre-80's B/W game that every gameroom needs to have to be a serious gameroom.......

:D

How difficult can it be to put that handful of TTL chips in a FPGA ?

Laschek

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 07:57:37 PM »
OR - even better - sell your games to someone who actually plays them and live an even happier life with all that money you make ;D

Bad Idea, because I would invest everything in beer :D

Laschek

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »
For a second I honestly thought I'd scored a Dominos PCB.....

You got me good Laschek !  :?

Be prepared that it wasn't the last time!

Just kidding!  :D ;)

Of course you never play those games, but that's not the point is it ? It's a museum peace. It's a part of arcade history. It's the one raster pre-80's B/W game that every gameroom needs to have to be a serious gameroom.......

:D

That is exactly what I think too. B/W games deserve much more love than they usually get!

Pffft, that wouldn't be the same, would it? Like using Mame...

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »

No, actually it would be EXACTLY the same. An FPGA is like 1000 TTL chips in one, the number of cels varies with the type of chip of course. So you program every TTL chip from the original board + the traces between them into one FPGA. That means you get 100% the same game (there is no CPU), no emulation like mame is involved :). I guess you would only need a few transistors, capacitors and resistors for the audio and video amplification etc...
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 08:15:12 PM »

No, actually it would be EXACTLY the same. An FPGA is like 1000 TTL chips in one, the number of cels varies with the type of chip of course. So you program every TTL chip from the original board + the traces between them into one FPGA. That means you get 100% the same game (there is no CPU), no emulation like mame is involved :). I guess you would only need a few transistors, capacitors and resistors for the audio and video amplification etc...

Sounds like a "scratch build" to me  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »
No, in theory you "copy" the schematics into 1 single chip. You use software to design it and then "burn" a FPGA chip to carry all the original hardware functions. You use blocks that perform functions like f.i. the 74 series of chips, but even processors like Z80 are in there.

However, IMHO the processor block IS emulation.

I think Jrok did it exactly right with the multi-willams: use a real processor and only put the surrounding hardware on the FPGA (http://www.jrok.com/hardware/wsf)

Of course, with ye olde' black&whities we mostly don't need no stinkin' proc. ;)

If only I had triple the time I have now I would learn to work and design FPGA's. I'd love that....

Here's an interesting site about FPGA converted arcade hardware: http://www.fpgaarcade.com

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 08:46:47 PM »
So, since you don't have a cpu with your B/W board, it's still no emulation :) (that was my point)

For my final test (eindwerk) at school I had to program an FPGA. Only simple logic stuff though, first I had to design a logic circuit, then design a pcb for it with 74xx and design a pcb with one FPGA. Was a cool project to learn what FPGA's are all about. Although since it was only logic stuff the same could have easily been achieved with a CPLD.
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
Aha, so you just have to add a couple more 74's and you're done building your Dominos FPGA ;) ;) ;)

Indeed no emulation is the key for me with this technology. And instant on, like a real PCB....I really don't like arcade games that need to boot....sorry.

Since we've got programs that can recognize music tracks (shazam) why can't we have a program that traces a scanned schematic and turns it into a FPGA ? HAH ! I guess I must patent this idea.....not that I can get it done, but if someone else does it I can still earn good money ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:10:12 PM by Level42 »

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
Aha, so you just have to add a couple more 74's and you're done building your Dominos FPGA ;) ;) ;)

Indeed no emulation is the key for me with this technology. And instant on, like a real PCB....I really don't like arcade games that need to boot....sorry.

Well, you've got me thinking....because of the economic crisis I only have to work every other week now, so an arcade related project would be cool. :)
So I looked up the Dominoes manual and there is a microprocessor page in the schematics. I don't know what cpu it is, the pages are hard to read (scan quality). It's part 90-6009. I really would like to give a game reproduction a try, but not with a microprocessor to start with :).

Laschek

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »
That is indeed very interesting stuff!

Nevertheless, it would NOT be the same simply because it wouldn't be an original PCB  :wink:

BTW, many B/W games use a CPU, the one in Dominos is a 6502.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 11:00:33 PM »
O, you're right almost forgot...I think most of them actually used one, only the paddle style games probably not (like Breakout).

Well if I have the following options:

1) Wait till I'm 100 to find an original Dominos PCB
2) Get a FPGA board working in the machine
3) Run a MAME PC in the machine

It would be easily option 2. I don't see me spending an entire PC on a game like that.But you're right for originality's sake I'd prefer an original board, but as mentioned, they are close to impossible to find....

Atari tended to always use 6502's. Well, how about Breakout then ? That's a nice game and no proc...

Looks like that guy is developing a surrounding basic hardware that handles all I/O so you don't have to worry about that and instead can focus on the game hardware itself.....would be cool if these boards will be available for sale....

By the way, did we de-rail this thread ?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:02:18 PM by Level42 »

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 11:07:57 PM »
By the way, did we de-rail this thread ?
Yes.

In fact reproducing a game with a real cpu, ram and fpga/cpld would be a bootleg....

I think we need to join forces and start developing bootlegs :P