Author Topic: Galaxian 3 for PlayStation  (Read 44431 times)

Equites

• View Profile
Re: Galaxian 3 for PlayStation
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »
Equites, what a beautiful Starblade you've got there.

Thanks dude - it's my pride and joy. Some day, once Galaxian3 is emulated I really want to build a custom cab for it, I would of course need a spare Starblade controller for this task. Nice to see other Starblade/Galaxian3 fans out there.

Are you in the UK? Im am in Cheshire/England.

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 11:14:10 PM »
I'm in Sweden, a cold and dark place up in the north.

Alright, a custom cab? Please explain more. You do woodworking? I did some in the past. You know, to play Starblade you really need either the original cannon, but preferably the Atari pilot yoke. Ofcourse we have all been used to play Starblade with the cannon, but think about it, the old Star Wars controller or a modified STUN Runner controller would be far better and faster to manouver than the original cannon. That is why I allowed myself to tear down my Starblade and giving away the cannon, mirror, saving the boards and wiring. Actually, Starblade is also very playable with an analog joystick. However firing with the index finger and thumb isn't as effective as having four fire buttons unless you use an autofire circuit or implement extra fire buttons on the panel next to your joystick (total of 4 fire buttons). So the optimal choice is really a four-button Atari yoke. You can add two more buttons to the STUN Runner yoke if you drill a hole for each thumb on the inner handle. Any 12mm round buttons work, but select some that are soft to press. If you were any good at Star Wars (from '83) you will enjoy Starblade as much if not more with the same yoke.

About a custom cab for Starblade, it is infact the choice for home or small arcade. Sure, the larger mirror cabinet gives a fantastic appearance with its lens like image and vibrating seat, strobes and cannon. But look at the facts: Starblade screen flashes white when taking damage, thus in a dark room eliminating the strobes. Then the mirror, which by the way is not at all a mirror but a glossy plastic bowl reflecting only some of the image intensity of the monitor which makes darker areas in the game fade away unless you tweak the brightness to higher levels, burning the phosohors of the CRT faster. Then ofcourse the seat rumble, that's something which is a luxury only larger cabinets can use, so that would really be missed in a smaller version. However, Starblade can be played just as well, if not better, in a upright or sitting cabinet with the Atari yoke and a 29" monitor, leaving out the vibration and strobe flashes.

Just like Afterburner, that game used several cabinets. The big Commander type, a simpler sit-down, and an upright which still had the lock-on and warning lights implemented.

nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 04:24:53 PM »
I have a question about this game. How to unlock the "super" blaster and how to get Commander from Starblade in the game like in this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Eu_MWE0kE

caincan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 05:24:41 PM »
 ??? something still in mind.   how do you play  Galaxian3 psx,  with the  "two" flightstick configuration ?   does only one serves ? or the 2 ?  or for 2 players ?!

(cannot find the flightstick to real galaxian setup chair hacking url.   if someone had idea about a galaxian chair equipment reproduction,  that would be fun to see and play  :o

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 08:40:04 AM »
Found a review of the PSX port ...in Slovakia I believe?  ::)  :arrow:

Who can translate?  ;D

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 11:02:46 AM »
Man are you in luck, nuno! I can translate that for you!

It's actually czech. As it happens, my mom is from a small village east of Prague and I've been successfully brainwashed to speak, and read the language from the time I was born. Infact, I knew czech even before I knew swedish!

Is this a coinsidence or what??

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
Head and column 1 (the obvious english omitted)

Ready! Starblade take two! Action!

Well well, Jani! Where are you again? This is already the third take you've spoild for us. I know that dealing out snacks is important, but do not get infront of the camera.. ok, little ass? Actually, what are you doing tonight? I'll be quick finishing this film and then I'll buy you dinner, how about it? In that new restaurant Planet "HloupyWud" (translated "SillyWood" - he's trying to be funny here), or what's its name? Are you blushing?

Ok, ok, let's stop making fun and get on with this new film. What did we pay for it? Let's have it done by three o'clock. "Scenarista"?! (like "scene assistant" maybe?) Tell me, what have you got for us? "Well, ehm, he, last night I was drinking a little... just a little.., so yesterday I haven't managed anything, and today my head hurts horribly. I really tried, but on the second page I said to myself, what has been aproved, is good, so I used the idea from our last film Starblade and only improved it in a couple of places. And also stretched it, so that it is twice as long. Otherwise it all remains the same, just like the action films. The plot and pictures are different, but the story is the same. Shooting and shooting. And at time also shooting..." Stop it! You can't be serious! This year I wanted an Oscar! How can I get that with a film ..

(Second column)

.. that has already been? Come up with something else. "What if I would add the option of multi-shooting, the game would be sligtly more interesting. Because instead of one main hero there would be several heroes. Perhaps two, three, or four. Will that be better?" Surely slightly better. But it needs something more... Soundguy? Where's that turbo-ass again, SOUND GUY!" - "Y-y-y-yes, I am here. What can I do for you?" How's your sound editing and music? - "W-w-well, I'm almost ready. Z-z-z-z-z." I know the alphabet, how's the sound coming along? "S-s-s-sound is classic, I used a few sounds from our previous film and some sounds I just resampled, sort of. S-s-s... Hu! Lucky I didn't delete them. They come in handy now. The music I composed almost two days, so I hope I'll get an Oscar for that. Or at least a bonus." Well forget about the Oscar, it's mine. Where's that story guy at! How can I work with the likes of you, I don't understand. Well dammit, where is he! Call him!"

Half an hour search for the person above mentioned follows, who is finally found sleeping in the elevator shaft. He's brutally ra... no, awakened and cleaned up for the director.

"Who do you think you are?" "Jesus Christ ... I like you all so much..." "You have been smoking again, haven't you? No bullshit, you've got eyes like Belzebub. How many times have I told you to come to work with a clean head, you little moron! Do you know how the set looks when you've prepared it being in the state you're in?" "Everything with feathers will fly ..." "I won't waste ...

(third column)

...anymore time with him, take him away, I'll go see what he has done. Hmm, it's not bad. The first scenes are somewhat bare, but the second part is better already. His imagination must have gotten refreshed. Wow, even I would never have though of it. What a great imagination. The man has never been inside a space cruiser yet he comes up with something like this. I guess I'll have to give it to him. Well then, are you all ready? Camera, ready, and action!"

Two days later, newspaper headlines. The film frantically progresses, action after action, cutscene cuts cutscene, F16 cuts Mig... Into that sounds explosions, the environment is variable, alternating open space and planet surfaces, underground complexes, or flight-throughs between cosmic ships... Mixing into all of this are hordes of enemies, everything is moving and shooting, and shooting... For the first ten minutes reporters are pleasantly surprised, however, after that boredom. After half an hour, out of ten reporters, about half are asleep. The film ends, but no one is applauding. The end credits have no one to read them.

(signed by) Lachtan

(Fat brown text to the lower right)

Lachtan: What can I tell you? Galaxian3 is a countinuation of Starblade, and besides the four player option it differs in no way. It's an hours fun, when played then boring. It's good enough for quick fun, but to buy? Depends on your wallet.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:29:48 PM by uncletom »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 03:29:49 PM »
Wow, it was fast, thanks for the translation Uncletom  :-*

Like many reviews, too much 'journalist' stuff in this ... not enough about the content, or deep analysis...  :-X
But I can't blame them on this, Galaxian3 is just a (too) short rail shooter after all...
Anyway, the replay value is great : This game is a fantastic 'time attack' challenge, and my main objective will be to beat the high score done by the furious Japanese UGSF team! 

Zeether

• Roger, out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 07:55:46 PM »
I noticed something when I played G^3 PSX...you can select AI pilots to compete against for score, and I guess beating one gives access to another. I can't remember their names entirely but in one video I saw there was one named "Shark" and I'm sure Namco probably threw in some Tekken name shoutouts too like Paul or Heihachi...maybe.

Weirder still, you know how you can choose from different laser types? There's a secret "Super" laser that acts like all of them combined and I'm not sure how to access that. Maybe you beat all the AI pilots to get it? There's also a debug mode code too, so maybe it's unlocked there? Mysterious...

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 10:09:45 PM »
See the TV commercial done for the Japanese market :

8)

Toykyle

• We saved GT-6. Now it's time to save GH-16 & GH-28
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 12:05:59 AM »
2nd Update: I finally figured it out. I tried it on both versions (Europe and Japan). Updated with accurate information now.

The "R1, L2, L1, R2, △, □, L2, select, ×" is the 2nd part of the "SUPER" blaster (or rather, the debug menu A.K.A TEST OPTION MENU, because in there you can unlock the super blaster) code input (you have to do it on the main menu). the 1st input is pressing the start button when the galaxian3 logo sequence starts, during the galaxian3 logo sequence, or before it ends (pressing the start button on the main menu doesn't count unfortunately). Once you successfully input the code, press the ○ button (○ button if europe version. × button if japan version) to access the test option menu.

What the TEST OPTIONMENU is like.

Unfortunately, the changes wont apply if you just press the × (europe) or ○ (Japan) button on the "EXIT" after making changes, in which you'll have to go back to make changes again. To apply changes, you press the buttons on any of these options, except for "EXIT" (unless you already applied your changes). However, you can only apply the change of a option that you select, so look out for that one.

Now as for the SUPER BLS, after you apply the changes, go to the regular option menu and then configure the blaster's fire rate.

TEST OPTIONMENU:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CLR LEVEL: NONE / EASY / NORMAL / HARD / EXPERT                         SUCCESS: ON / OFF
ENTRY: NORMAL / 1 P / 2 P / 3 P / 4 P                                              SUPER BLS: ON / OFF
CLR GUN: NOBODY / FRANK / REIKO / JOHNSON / SHARK                    TUNE LVL: NORMAL / PLUS
DSP PAUSE: ON / OFF
IMMORTAL: ON / OFF

EXIT
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

that commercial seemed awesome. as the commander from starblade, i think you have to destroy that giant red ship to encounter the commander. as for super blaster, i'm not positive, but i think you have to get the most score than all pilots.

Edit: I got a response from the uploader of the Rising of Gourb (COMMANDER encountered).

"COMMANDER encountered shield if there remains more than 90% when you break through the gate of GOURB.
It's at 5:41 in the video.

SUPER BLASTER can be set in TEST OPTIONMENU.
On the Main Menu screen, "TEST OPTIONMENU" appears and press "R1, L2, L1, R2, △, □, L2, select, ×" in the order.
You can be set there.
However, it does not follow that it is set to not press the "○" after changing."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:17:59 PM by Toykyle »

Toykyle

• We saved GT-6. Now it's time to save GH-16 & GH-28
    • View Profile
tempoGALAXIAN THEATER from NAMCO !!!
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »
Taken from this website: http://kingpottergame.ucoz.com/ps1c/shoot.htm

Seeing that cover on that website, I'm not positive if it's real or not.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:03:48 PM by Toykyle »

zxthehedgehog

• 3D Artist, MIDI Editor, & Infrequent Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 10:44:11 PM »
Hmm...

Almost looks like a speculative cover, likely published by a magazine when Namco announced they may release it overseas.
Check out my Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/zxthehedgehog42!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check, one, two. Seeegaaa...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2015, 11:47:55 PM »
These 4 Japanese girls are playing Galaxian3 on PSX (see the multi tap)... I'm curious to know what they are saying here?  :P  :arrow:

???

Zeether

• Roger, out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 06:44:22 PM »
I added toykyle's info about the debug menu to TCRF (a great website that catalogs unused stuff in games as well as things like debug menus): https://tcrf.net/Galaxian_3_(PlayStation)

I'm not sure what the Tune LVL, Success and Entry options do. I thought Success would affect something related to the Cannon Seed destruction but it doesn't. The Super blaster though is amazing and makes the game a lot easier (almost too easy, I blew up the spark bits in Project Dragoon before the camera began to focus on them)