Author Topic: And yet again a reason ..... RETRO GAMER MAG' !  (Read 68677 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
And yet again a reason ..... RETRO GAMER MAG' !
« on: January 07, 2010, 07:08:09 PM »
...... why I enjoy this magazine very much:

http://www.retrogamer.net/back_issues.php

A special on Gradius. Get it, it's worth every penny.  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:56:21 AM by DarthNuno »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: And yet again a reason .....
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:18:39 PM »
Never played Gradius, but there's a "The making of FRENZY !!!" Not Berzerk but Frenzy !

Wow...I need a subscription. The magazine is awesome. The only thing I'm not too keen on is the (UK) focus on Spectrum, Amstrad, BBC and other rubbish hardware they produced there  ;) ;) ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:20:03 PM »
Wow...I need a subscription. The magazine is awesome. The only thing I'm not too keen on is the (UK) focus on Spectrum, Amstrad, BBC and other rubbish hardware they produced there  ;) ;) ;)

i agree! too much uk videogame and computer stuff for me. but the arcade articles are an interesting read!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:26:15 PM »

I always ignore those UK computer articles... ;D
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »
Ully, what was that German retro game magazine we saw at the Daddelparty ? That looked very interesting too....

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:37:15 AM »
@ André, Ully and Michael: Alan McNeil is not only talking about the making of Frenzy, but also about Berzerk, according someone from Jamma+ (I didn't get the magazine yet as I am overseas for them).

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:55:23 AM »
Wow...I need a subscription. The magazine is awesome. The only thing I'm not too keen on is the (UK) focus on Spectrum, Amstrad, BBC and other rubbish hardware they produced there  ;) ;) ;)

I always ignore those UK computer articles... ;D

Shame on you  :P

I'm very happy with almost 100% of the content (I'm not a big fan of the 'homebrew' section for example :P)

Long time ago, in a galaxy not far away.... I had a Sinclair ZX81, and also a ZX Spectrum...and my best 8bit computer : Amstrad (well, I had a Schneider model... german powâââ ;D)  and of course, they are big fan too...  ::) UK Powâââ  ;D

Of course I would like to see more arcade stuff, but there is a good balance of everything... and that's the reason why it's a successful mag' IMO  :-*

This is the first and only mag I've subscribed in my life... and no regret at all!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:56:54 AM by DarthNuno »

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
Re: And yet again a reason ..... RETRO GAMER MAG' !
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 12:11:16 PM »

I really like the arcade parts but it wasn't enough to make it worth it for me so, after some debating, I let my subscription expire this year.

Too much later post-Spectrum/C64 period home computer games and console stuff that didn't really affect me back in the day. I dropped out around the time the NES came along and only played in arcades. And computer-wise, I was too busy running up my parents phone bill with early modems and calls to Bulletin Board Systems :)

findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
how come no one mentioned that our bruno is in this issue??  ???

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 04:48:16 PM »
er.... there's a lot of talk about computers that were popular in UK cos it's a UK mag?!  :-*

i don't actually buy the mag but i flick through it in WHSmiths since i'm tight. actually, sometimes the articles don't go far enough for me, but some of the back stories on development are interesting.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 05:09:14 PM »
how come no one mentioned that our bruno is in this issue??  ???

Equites mentioned it, right here  ;)

I'm waiting to get the mag in my hands for discovering the article... on real paper  :P

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 05:50:59 PM »
how come no one mentioned that our bruno is in this issue??  ???

Equites mentioned it, right here  ;)

I'm waiting to get the mag in my hands for discovering the article... on real paper  :P

Wow, this issue will be a real collectors item then. Can't wait to read the article and see the pics.  ;D

But why did it take you so long?  ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:23:40 PM by ckong »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 11:21:41 PM »
Ully, what was that German retro game magazine we saw at the Daddelparty ? That looked very interesting too....
Ah, here it is ! http://www.go64.de/shop/product_info.php/language/de/info/p151_Retro--14.html

The current issue has an article about Star Wars !!! I want it !!!

Ully could you order it ? Will save me international shipping costs, and we see eachother end of the month anyway....

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 11:53:24 PM »
Ah, here it is ! http://www.go64.de/shop/product_info.php/language/de/info/p151_Retro--14.html

Ully could you order it ? Will save me international shipping costs, and we see eachother end of the month anyway....

For me also please Ully, if it's not too much trouble.  :) I love shoot'em ups. I will give André the money.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:03:21 AM by ckong »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 12:52:51 AM »

For me also please Ully, if it's not too much trouble.  :) I love shoot'em ups. I will give André the money.

yepp, will do so. unfortunately, sometimes delivery takes a long time with this mag. hope it arrives in time!

do you want older issues, too?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:55:16 AM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!